RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm 
Single-Sixer

Never liked a .380 until I ran into a Remington RM 380. Nice little pocket pistol. This was a Rohrbaugh R380 that Remington bought out and modified. About 800.00 cheaper to boot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am 
Buckeye

Blackmore wrote:
Don't forget the Rock Island Armory Baby Rock. "A" rated by Gun Tests and one of their 2016 Guns of the Year. Truly a miniature 1911 that doesn't omit some 1911 features like other pistols of its ilk.

Blackmore is right,
I have a Baby Rock also and love it. It is my secondary carry. They are hard to find now,
but can be had for around $320.00 or so.
Blackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm 
Hawkeye

Years ago I owned a Llama .380 Micro-Max 1911 style pistol. I liked it, but it stung the web of my shooting hand thumb with every shot. Good shooter, though.

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 am 
Hunter

I have tried several 938's. The safety on the right side makes the pistol difficult to use.

If you use a standard high hold where the skin between the index finger and thumb touches the top curve of the back strap, your skin at the base of your index finger will get caught between the safety and grip panel when taking the safety off.

A lot of people have this issue. Sig's answer it to tell people to hold their hand lower on the gun.

The hogue grip model doesn't seem to have as much problems as the other models.

I don't have the problem with the single safety 238.

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm 
Bearcat

I bought this wanting a 1911 style .380:
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/001089441854/media/33349457953/medium/1506102680/enhance

But I was not satisfied with it as it was 'like' my RI 1911 but it is a blow back not a locked breach mechanism so I sold it and bought this:
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/001089441854/media/33410178073/medium/1508186578/enhance

as it is a true 1911 which fires from a locked breech as shown below:
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/001089441854/media/33575864503/medium/1512683621/enhance

Both the Baby Rock and the 'new' Llamas are blow back and not locked breech and the blowback felt recoil is greater than locked breech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 pm 
Buckeye

FergusonTO35 wrote:
Hey folks. I've decided that I want to add one of the small 1911 style .380 pistols to my arsenal. Looks like Sig, Colt, and Kimber are what I have to choose from. I know there are bigger 1911 .380's out there but I want to keep it at the size of these guns. I'm not looking for laser sights, fancy finishes, or anything like that. Just a basic black or silver 1911 from one of these three makes with standard sights. Is one superior to the others in any way? Do they have much parts interchangeability? I'm leaning towards Sig as I trust them more than the other two. Strangely enough, Kimber is the cheapest of the three. I don't want the ambidextrous safety as I am right handed and the other side of the safety is uncomfortable to me. Any experiences or opinions appreciated!

Ferguson,
My favorite .380 is the RIA "Baby Rock". It is all steel, and looks just like the 1911.
Shoots like a dream, and carries well. And their service support is awesome.
Blackie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:06 am 
Hawkeye

Heliman wrote:
Years ago I owned a Llama .380 Micro-Max 1911 style pistol. I liked it, but it stung the web of my shooting hand thumb with every shot. Good shooter, though.
Dave

Llama made a reduced-scale 1911-style pistol in .380, .32, and .22. The .380 was made in both locked-breech and blowback models. I have a blowback model. Grips are fragile plastic--I replaced mine with home-made micarta-type material. It's all-steel, shoots well with little recoil. They don't go cheap on the used-gun market, so you're probably better off buying one of the new guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 am 
Hunter

Update: I have since put around 300 rounds through the Micro since it came back from Yonkers and it works great. I had exactly one fail to eject from a very dirty extractor. Field stripped the slide and cleaned all the crud out, and it has been flawless since. This is a great little pistol and I would recommend it to anyone.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am 
Hunter

Still carrying and shooting the Micro. Had a single fail to feed the other day using the seven round extended mag. The slide tried to close on the round caught between the front of the mag and the feed ramp, the fired round ejected ok. I'm going to chalk that up to the extended mag, I have read that they are not as reliable as the original six round mags. I also detail stripped it afterwards for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. It is pretty easy, except the parts are pretty small and you don't have much space to work with!

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 am 
Blackhawk

When I married my wife (1985), I let her pick from my guns for one she could carry. She didn't like any of them, so I took her shopping. To my surprise, she chose a Colt Government .380. I decided shortly that I would get one sense I was going to be loading for the one she had. I have small hands, but still found the grip too small. I added a set of Ajax sambar stag grips and it fit my hand as well as any gun I had ever tried. We have used these Colts for our carry guns and shoot Winchester white box for qualification and Remington Golden Saber to carry. I load some for mine also. We have never had a glitch in the ones we have and she is a great shot with hers. When they quit making them, it was hard to believe what people were asking for them. I was not interested in selling so it did not make much difference to me. I would not have paid that price for one though. Now I see they are making them again. I don't know if they are still the same gun as the ones we have. I shoot revolvers mainly so I can't say. I have never had a problem with either of the ones we own and feel well armed when I carry because it fits my hand so well, I seem to shoot it well ,and the wife surprises the instructors with hers when she goes for qualification. We have three magazines for each. The extra four were purchased from CDNN as Colt replacement magazines. They seem to work just fine.