SR1911 CMD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tophlor

Bearcat
I just received my brand new SR1911 CMD and went to the range for some break in. I was expecting some typical break in FTE or some stiffness but was pleasantly surprised at the feel out of the box.
There was not one FTF or FTE in the 100 rounds I put down range. The trigger was a little stiff at first but worked itself in a little as I used it. The gun's accuracy was insane. The Scottsdale Gun Club is where I shoot so it is indoor. I wanted to shoot relatively close at first so I could see what corrections I would need to make and where I should hold the sights. Using a free hand stance, I lined up the first shot at 35 feet on a BT-5s target. I sighted on on the cross lines at center mass. The trigger has a minuscule take up then a crisp release. When I pulled the target in after the first shot I could not believe my eyes. The hole split the vertical line 1/4" below the horizontal line. Simply amazing!
Everyone can have a lucky shot so I send the target back down to 35 feet and took aim again. This time I was 1/4" to let left of vertical and below the horizontal next to my first shot. Shot three split the difference between the two previous shots... What I had was the equivalent of one large jagged hole.
The 100 rounds that I send down range this morning created 2 inch groups for each magazine. I am definitely impressed by this 45. :D

MoMan73

Bearcat
CONGRATS on your new Commander!!
It's funny because I had pretty much the same accuracy with my SR1911 cmd last year.
My Son and I went to the range right after I got mine, I decided to travel light and left the full range bag home because I was just going to see how it fired. I took the new pistol, eyes, ears, and ammo, and headed out. As soon as I got there I realized I had nothing to adjust the sights with me. I decided I wanted t shoot my new toy so I went at it. Needless to say, it didn't matter because I did not need to even tweak the sights at all!
I love this pistol!

steenroller

Bearcat
Got one a couple of weeks ago and fired it then changed to arched mainspring housing simply because of my preference. I have put 50 rounds through it and it shoots great. Don't know when I will get a chance to really wring it out but I like it.

mcoe74

Bearcat
Last Friday morning, I took my new SR1911 CMD to the range. Agree tophlor, mine was a little stiff too, buy no sight adjustment, and scary accurate.

tophlor

Bearcat
What do you know about the Froglube? I have decided to use this exclusively with the 1911.

I have always used Hoppes and gun oil and grease with my SIG Sauer P226 and S&W 686. I am curious if anyone has experience with Froglube they want to share.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Now had mine for over a year. It is over 1K rounds and has still had no problems. Have not used frog lube on it. Haved used Breakfree . The more expersive flavor with more Teflon in it.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
tophlor said:
What do you know about the Froglube? I have decided to use this exclusively with the 1911. . .
Why have you decided to use it exclusively if you don't know anything about it yet?

revhigh

Hawkeye
tophlor said:
I just received my brand new SR1911 CMD and went to the range for some break in. I was expecting some typical break in FTE or some stiffness but was pleasantly surprised at the feel out of the box.
There was not one FTF or FTE in the 100 rounds I put down range. The trigger was a little stiff at first but worked itself in a little as I used it. The gun's accuracy was insane. The Scottsdale Gun Club is where I shoot so it is indoor. I wanted to shoot relatively close at first so I could see what corrections I would need to make and where I should hold the sights. Using a free hand stance, I lined up the first shot at 35 feet on a BT-5s target. I sighted on on the cross lines at center mass. The trigger has a minuscule take up then a crisp release. When I pulled the target in after the first shot I could not believe my eyes. The hole split the vertical line 1/4" below the horizontal line. Simply amazing!
Everyone can have a lucky shot so I send the target back down to 35 feet and took aim again. This time I was 1/4" to let left of vertical and below the horizontal next to my first shot. Shot three split the difference between the two previous shots... What I had was the equivalent of one large jagged hole.
The 100 rounds that I send down range this morning created 2 inch groups for each magazine. I am definitely impressed by this 45. :D

You now know the reason for the 1911's incredible popularity even 103 years later. The best trigger of any handgun in existence, and exceptional accuracy for out of the box guns.

It's why many people own dozens of them.

REV

mcoe74

Bearcat
revhigh said:
You now know the reason for the 1911's incredible popularity even 103 years later. The best trigger of any handgun in existence, and exceptional accuracy for out of the box guns.

It's why many people own dozens of them.

REV

This explains why I looked at more today. :shock: I know I will buy another one. :mrgreen:

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I really had no interest in the CMD at first. I already have a Colt Defender & Kimber Compact Stainless for small 1911's. Plus a bunch of full size. But the more I hear about the CMD the more tempted I am.
Problem is I really want a SA RO & Trophy Match. And then there's ...............................................

Gunner4640

Bearcat
This is my range target form my first time out with my cmd'er I just love this gun, congrats on yours. I was shooting 2x taps and rapid fire on this target. grouping was great and I got all the terrorists. :lol:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=194901

tophlor

Bearcat
OK, Week two at the range with the SR1911 CMD... cleaned and lubed with Froglube, conditioned is actually more accurate.
Worked great, shot unbelievably accurately. This gun shoots ragged holed 1.5" groups at 35 feet. No FTF or FTE. Once I learned to manage the 1911 trigger takeup my shots were repeatable. This gun is a tack driver!

As to the Froglube...I was asked why use it exclusively if I have never used it before. I did a lot of research, read a lot of blogs, tried it on some metal parts then decided to just do it. It works great. Smooth non greasy feel, doesn't attract Arizona dust, won't stain when CCW. I am sold on this stuff.

I have prepared and conditioned my S&W 686 Competitor too. I am still using the Hoppes on my P226 for now. I don;t have the time to completely break it down right now.

Back to the SR1911. I am really happy to say I am a 1911 convert after all this time. Ruger got this right.

One last data point. .45 ammo was being rationed so I could only put another 100 rounds through it today.

tophlor

Bearcat
Week three with the Ruger SR1911 CMD using Froglube.

I did a second heat conditioning of the gun during the week using the proscribed method.

I went to the range on Saturday morning and put another 150 rounds (Magtech) through the pistol. I LOVE THIS GUN! This is a dead on accurate piece. I was shooting at 35, 45 and 50 foot targets and my groups (all free hand) were 2-3 inches at 50 feet and tighter on the closer targets. I was shooting semi rapid, meaning that I was shooting a shot every 2 seconds. This gun makes me a better shooter. The trigger has a small take up and a crisp break that is a delight.

When I finished shooting and the gun was still hot, I took a micro fiber cloth and wiped it down then I put some Froglube onto a bore snake and ran it through the barrel three times. I also wiped down the feed ramp. Everything came off!
When I got home and disassembled the gun to clean it...it was clean. I still cleaned it but very little carbon came off. This stuff is the real deal.

So far I could not be happier with either the gun or the Froglube. It cuts down on cleaning time and leaves a clean gun after shooting.