RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Carolina Sorillo wrote:
I noticed on the website the capacity of the fullsized model is 8+1 and the Commander is 7+1. Is it not going to accept the standard 1911 mags like a real commander does???? Did they shorten the grip frame to a "bastardized" length???

C.S.

Standard capacity of a 1911 OR Commander is 7+1. Some modern mags let you stuff an eighth round in.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Bearcat

May have to look at this. Years ago I carried a LW Colt Commander .45 with ivories for work, and loved it; very quick, very reliable, accurate. Ultimately the alloy frame cracked. Although I had the frame replaced and the gun worked over by a big name smith, it never ran right thereafter.

I would still prefer an alloy frame, and can do just fine without the rooney do-dads, but a short Ruger 1911 would be a nice birthday present from me to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:06 pm 
Blackhawk

1911-noob question: Is the original sr1911 considered a "Government" model? (I thought the commander has the same length of grip but shorter barrel).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:37 pm 
Hawkeye

Dienekes wrote:
May have to look at this. Years ago I carried a LW Colt Commander .45 with ivories for work, and loved it; very quick, very reliable, accurate. Ultimately the alloy frame cracked. Although I had the frame replaced and the gun worked over by a big name smith, it never ran right thereafter.

I would still prefer an alloy frame, and can do just fine without the rooney do-dads, but a short Ruger 1911 would be a nice birthday present from me to me.

Where did the frame crack?

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
Hunter

ruggedruger wrote:
1911-noob question: Is the original sr1911 considered a "Government" model? (I thought the commander has the same length of grip but shorter barrel).

You are correct, the full size sr1911 ships with a standard flush fit 7 round mag, and an extended 8 round mag. Both would work in the commander, but Ruger is apparently shipping the commander with 2 flush fit standard 7 rounders. BTW, they also offer a really long 10 rounder. Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm 
Bearcat

Hawkeye: the frame cracked at the slide stop hole. Knowing what I know now, I would have drilled a stop hole and it might have lasted a lot longer.

Best approach would be for alloy frames to have a hardened steel insert at the feed ramp area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Dienekes wrote:
Hawkeye: the frame cracked at the slide stop hole. Knowing what I know now, I would have drilled a stop hole and it might have lasted a lot longer.

Best approach would be for alloy frames to have a hardened steel insert at the feed ramp area.

Thanks and I agree with you about a steel insert for the feed ramp. One of my Commanders has slight "dimples" in the ramp from being hit by hardball ammo.

BTW, I've heard of/seen steel 1911 frames cracked at the slide stop hole. This seems to be caused by, of all things, letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber. (That's also extremelly hard on staked oversized front sights, among other parts.)

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Blackhawk

SR1911 Commander came with 2 7 round mags. Maybe one could put an 8 round in there. Duh they work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
Ruger Guru

I have and had no idea where to find one around her in the NNW, so I burrowed into the back of one of the steel boxes and found an electoless Nickled Colt Commander in 9mm that had been converted by Mr. Ugly(you know, like a US military rear adjustable sight and an ugly high front sight, with a fixed guide rod and 38 super barrel) Now back to "normal" sights and in 9mm. The complete 9mm similarly finished top end I bought from JohnNu, my long time Friend. standing by as backup, along with the 38 super parts, 8 clips and some high end super ammo. I'll find an SR'11 Commander somewhere/sometime...... 8) :!:

Ruger Owners and Collectors Society
RCA Field Rep Emeritus
Minn Weapons Collectors
Colt Collectors' Assn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm 
Hawkeye

HAWKEYE#28 wrote:
I'll find an SR'11 Commander somewhere/sometime...

...and I come home from a gun show in early Jan. thinking I'd just bought an SR1911 but had a CMD instead for $649 OTD :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm 
Ruger Guru

Maybe I need to get out more................... :wink: I am OK, there are 3 low SN SR1911 buried here and one is a consec to my Son's......Life is marvelous 8)

RCA Field Rep Emeritus
Minn Weapons Collectors
Colt Collectors' Assn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 am 
Ruger Guru

A consecutively SN'd pair of SR1911 Commanders arrived from South Texas this past Thursday. Traded a three digit Flatgate that was an extra. I remain curious regarding the inability to depress the slide release to allow pulling the slide back on an empty Ruger clip, while I can do so if I use/fully insert any of the 6(minty) GI 1911A1 clips that happened to be on the bench...............It seems to me that the Ruger clips are just a mite "high" where they come in contact with the innards of the slide release, when the clip has no rounds in it. :roll:

RCA Field Rep Emeritus
Minn Weapons Collectors
Colt Collectors' Assn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 pm 
Bearcat

After a few months of searching to find a CMD, I finally found one a few weeks ago. The first few trips to the range have been excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:59 pm 
Hawkeye

It took a year and a half for my local shop to get in Gov't SR1911s, but only a few months for the CMD, which is now mine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm 
Hunter

eveled wrote:
ruggedruger wrote:

You are correct, the full size sr1911 ships with a standard flush fit 7 round mag, and an extended 8 round mag. Both would work in the commander, but Ruger is apparently shipping the commander with 2 flush fit standard 7 rounders. BTW, they also offer a really long 10 rounder. Ed.

I'll bet the 10 rounder makes it AW under CT's new law as the mag will extend conspiculously below the grip