Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
You mean like this? MSRP $829:
6702.jpg

tookalisten

Blackhawk
one bullet said:
Maybe I'll get one in a few years when I can find one. Beautiful is all I can say.

Agree, will buy one whenever I see one. Probably have plenty of time to save up.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Reminds me a bit of one I built up from parts back in the '80s...total cash whipout on it was under $250 IIRC....

LWCommM66.jpg

Smee781

Single-Sixer
+1 "Heck my dealer can't get a normal one, what chance do I have of getting one of these?"

I saw one at my LGS and it was right before Christmas, not a good time for me to buy a new toy for myself....

Cooper

Bearcat
I was in my local gun shop this morning, and he has 2 coming. I'm 1st on the list. Should be here in a week. mc

OnTheSide

Bearcat
My initial attitude was why would you want to slow down an already slow 230 grain bullet. I thought the point of such a round is the foot pounds of energy it delivers...hence knockdown power. And the size of the frame and handle length are what makes a gun more or less concealable. After poking around the internet though, the loss in velocity may not be that significant. Here's a good study:

http://www.w0ipl.net/Vel-45ACP.htm

I noticed on the website the capacity of the fullsized model is 8+1 and the Commander is 7+1. Is it not going to accept the standard 1911 mags like a real commander does???? Did they shorten the grip frame to a "bastardized" length???

C.S.

mbott

Bearcat
Carolina Sorillo said:
I noticed on the website the capacity of the fullsized model is 8+1 and the Commander is 7+1. Is it not going to accept the standard 1911 mags like a real commander does???? Did they shorten the grip frame to a "bastardized" length???

C.S.

It would be my guess that the SR1911CMD is just not being supplied with an 8-round magazine.

Confirmed from the website: "(Commander-Style Model ships with two 7-round magazines); bushing wrench; and soft case."

--
Mike

Snake45

Hawkeye
Carolina Sorillo said:

C.S.
Standard capacity of a 1911 OR Commander is 7+1. Some modern mags let you stuff an eighth round in.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
May have to look at this. Years ago I carried a LW Colt Commander .45 with ivories for work, and loved it; very quick, very reliable, accurate. Ultimately the alloy frame cracked. Although I had the frame replaced and the gun worked over by a big name smith, it never ran right thereafter.

I would still prefer an alloy frame, and can do just fine without the rooney do-dads, but a short Ruger 1911 would be a nice birthday present from me to me.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
1911-noob question: Is the original sr1911 considered a "Government" model? (I thought the commander has the same length of grip but shorter barrel).

Snake45

Hawkeye
Dienekes said:
May have to look at this. Years ago I carried a LW Colt Commander .45 with ivories for work, and loved it; very quick, very reliable, accurate. Ultimately the alloy frame cracked. Although I had the frame replaced and the gun worked over by a big name smith, it never ran right thereafter.

I would still prefer an alloy frame, and can do just fine without the rooney do-dads, but a short Ruger 1911 would be a nice birthday present from me to me.
Where did the frame crack?

eveled

Hawkeye
ruggedruger said:
1911-noob question: Is the original sr1911 considered a "Government" model? (I thought the commander has the same length of grip but shorter barrel).

You are correct, the full size sr1911 ships with a standard flush fit 7 round mag, and an extended 8 round mag. Both would work in the commander, but Ruger is apparently shipping the commander with 2 flush fit standard 7 rounders. BTW, they also offer a really long 10 rounder. Ed.

Latest posts