Which new Ruger semi-auto has created more spark?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Which new Ruger semi-auto has generated more emotion than the SR1911?

• None

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • LCP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LC9

• SR9 / 40

• SR9c / 40c

• P345

• Total voters

hittman

Staff member
What do you think?

Has any newly introduced Ruger semi-auto generated more emotion than the SR1911? I'm new to having interest in 1911's ~ why are folks so passionate about a different brand of a 100 year old platform?

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
why are folks so passionate about a different brand of a 100 year old platform?

I have no idea ... some actually act like it's a new gun that's just been invented. Many are very excited about it, but prior to the SR1911 being released, most never had any interest in the 1911 platform at all. If they DID ... they had 100 years to get one ... yet DIDN'T. :D

It's still funny how people say they need to hold it and feel it and handle it. Hold ANY 1911 and you know what the Ruger feels like. The only difference is the name etched on the slide ... by definition.

In terms of causing a hubbub ... you may remember the CLICK NO BANG issues that occurred in the first year of the 345 introduction.

REV

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Yeah, the holdy, feely thing always makes me laugh too. Now the poll didn't say good spark or bad spark. I think some of the ones that had recalls got just as much spark as the 1911.

GKC

Blackhawk
I voted "none." I think the reason the SR1911 has created such a stir is that in recent years, there has been a renewed interest in 1911s as the century anniversary approached. Ruger produced a good looking 1911 that is a series 70 style with the most often desired options at a reasonable price (even though they are selling at MSRP now) backed up by Ruger's excellent customer service. Plus, something that matters to a lot of people when it comes to 1911s, it is made in America.

Some may say that all 1911s are the same, but there are differences...FPS, roll markings, FCS, etc. Ruger got it right, IMO, even down to the absence of the usual gun owners' manual on the slide. They work out of the box, which is not always the case with some higher end 1911s. And, since they are fairly scarce, and they are getting universally good reviews, a lot of people want them...and that generates even more buzz.

How many threads have you read about "where can I find a {insert model}" ? How many threads have you read about prices of other models? How many threads have you read from people saying they were finally able to buy a {other model} ?

Yes, in one sense, an SR1911 is pretty much the same as any other 1911...but the others have been around for a while, and the SR1911 is the new kid on the block that most want to get to know.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
How many threads have you read about "where can I find a {insert model}" ? How many threads have you read about prices of other models?

there has been a renewed interest in 1911s as the century anniversary approached

I posted a thread saying that I knew where 8 of them were at a VERY reasonable price and to PM me if you were interested.

I got 2 replies.

I think the panic is just about over, and for a lot of decades long 1911 owners like me ... the excitement has worn off to the point that I'm not even looking to find one anymore.

There may have been a renewed interest HERE, but for most, the interest has never changed. If you're a 1911 guy ... your interest never waned regardless of what year it is, and you also realize that it's just another 1911 with a different name, so there's no rush. If you're a newbie .... you can rah rah all you want about how much 'better' the Ruger is than all other 1911's.

You can get rock-solid perfectly functioning 1911's these days for $349, and they're based on the exact same kind of frame that Ruger uses ... cast ... at 2 times the price and then some. The days of a 1911 needing work right out of the box are gone .... about 15-20 years ago. That is purely a myth from old-timers that used one in WWII when they were sloppy, badly fitted firearms. Most current 1911's work right out of the box perfectly ... as long as you keep your kitchen table, amateur gunsmithing hands the hell off of them.

The Ruger 1911 is a handsome and good functioning gun from all accounts ... but I really think they're a little late adding another production line for them now (if they really did). The time to flood the market was upon introduction (like they did with the LC9 and SR22 PISTOL ... no shortages there :roll: ) when everybody was hot to trot about them ... not close to a year later after demand has cooled and people are disgusted with their lack of availability and artificially high prices caused by a shortage of supply.

REV

Al James

Hunter
revhigh said:
GKC said:
How many threads have you read about "where can I find a {insert model}" ? How many threads have you read about prices of other models?

there has been a renewed interest in 1911s as the century anniversary approached

I posted a thread saying that I knew where 8 of them were at a VERY reasonable price and to PM me if you were interested.

I got 2 replies.

I think the panic is just about over, and for a lot of decades long 1911 owners like me ... the excitement has worn off to the point that I'm not even looking to find one anymore.

There may have been a renewed interest HERE, but for most, the interest has never changed. If you're a 1911 guy ... your interest never waned regardless of what year it is, and you also realize that it's just another 1911 with a different name, so there's no rush. If you're a newbie .... you can rah rah all you want about how much 'better' the Ruger is than all other 1911's.

You can get rock-solid perfectly functioning 1911's these days for $349, and they're based on the exact same kind of frame that Ruger uses ... cast ... at 2 times the price and then some. The days of a 1911 needing work right out of the box are gone .... about 15-20 years ago. That is purely a myth from old-timers that used one in WWII when they were sloppy, badly fitted firearms. Most current 1911's work right out of the box perfectly ... as long as you keep your kitchen table, amateur gunsmithing hands the hell off of them.

The Ruger 1911 is a handsome and good functioning gun from all accounts ... but I really think they're a little late adding another production line for them now (if they really did). The time to flood the market was upon introduction (like they did with the LC9 and SR22 PISTOL ... no shortages there :roll: ) when everybody was hot to trot about them ... not close to a year later after demand has cooled and people are disgusted with their lack of availability and artificially high prices caused by a shortage of supply.

REV

:shock: Rev I have vowed to never again engage you in any discussions because it seems that we reside on different planets. But.......aren't you the guy that predicted the SR1911 didn't have the features "real 1911 aficionados" wanted, it was going to flop and you would be able to buy them for $550? ETC, ETC... Or did those posts mysteriously disappear? So now that Ruger has sold every single one they have made-it seems that you're still a negative Nancy on both the gun and Ruger.

Rev=the most blatantly anti Ruger, RUGER forum moderator...ever. I just wish CZ would make a 1911 so we could hear how much better it is because CZ made it. The Manchurian Moderator. :lol:

hittman

Staff member
The truth does not equal negativity.

These guns ARE being bought in the $550 range.

Sure Ruger has sold every single one they've made. I've been on the local waiting list(s) for TEN MONTHS. And ~ I am FIRST on these local lists. There has not been one single SR1911 in a retail store closer than 100 miles of my home. Other areas claim there are half a dozen laying on store shelves for the picking.

Al James

Hunter
Ok. Any gun store with them sitting on the shelf has not discovered this new thangy called the Internet. On there you can find a site called Gunbroker where they are still selling for over $800+shipping and fees. 8 out of last 10 that have sold on Gun Broker in the last 2 weeks have sold for over 800 some closer to 900. Any one that can buy an SR1911 for $550 on the RETAIL level could resell them and make an easy 35% on the money.

There are long waiting lists at every store in my area and the normal price has been $699. One store quoted me $650 IF he could get one and that was months ago. People are lining up to pay $699 here in OR. What a difference! Being a bit of a capitalist I cant understand why you people with $200 P series dont start cashing in on these regional price differences? Rev says he cant be bothered with such petty cash transactions whereas I dont mind making a 50% profit.

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Most current 1911's work right out of the box perfectly ... as long as you keep your kitchen table, amateur gunsmithing hands the hell off of them.

Well, I do admit I am not a professional gunsmith...but then I don't try to be. :lol:

I have owned three Kimbers (and no more ever again) that didn't work...and 1.5 Colts that didn't work (if you really want to know, I will explain the 0.5 Colt) out of the box...and no, I didn't try to Bubba them in any way.

I read the 1911 forum regularly, and I don't think there is a model made that doesn't have an occasional malfunctioning model, and some more than others. Even the SR1911 has had a couple of negative reports...but far less than some seem to have, so far anyway.

hittman

Staff member
Maybe we should have another poll to determine if we think the long SR1911 waiting list it more about demand or failure to manufacture and properly distribute a reasonable numbers of guns.

Is it odd that their LC9, SR22 and Single Ten were delivered nation-wide in a matter of days? Heck, the SR22 was sitting for sale in a local store here before I read about them here!

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Well, if they didn't sell so many of them they wouldn't have as many reports. Get it? Let me explain. If you sell 10 guns and have one failure you will have one bad report. If you sell 100 guns and have 5 failures you will have 5 bad reports. So if you knew that one gun had 1 failure and another had 5 failures without knowing the number of guns sold, on the surface it would look like the one with 5 failures was the worse gun of the two. The above was for the benefit of those that didn't get past sixth grade.

lmao! Just kidding guys. Thought a little sarcasm was in order.

Al James

Hunter
hittman said:
Maybe we should have another poll to determine if we think the long SR1911 waiting list it more about demand or failure to manufacture and properly distribute a reasonable numbers of guns.
Bring your poll. You cant find one because of very high demand. I have talked with many distributors and they are very heavily allocated due to abnormally high demand. Ruger is making them at full capacity from what I have read/heard. They are sent to preferred dealers first. When you sell a bunch of guns manufacturers and distributors tend to get the product to you ASAP. If your dealer only orders 5k worth of guns a year you and them both end up on the want/waiting list.

As far as this gun vs the LC9, LCP, SR22, etc- the SR1911 line seems to run slower for ease of production reasons. I hope you find one soon!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Just calm down Al ... I never said that.

You really need to be a little realistic and stop being hysterical.

Show a post where I denigrated the SR1911.

Why would someone here pay 699 or 800 when I could turn them onto one for 635, which I offered to do.

REV

martyj

Blackhawk
Id have to say NONE when they showed that picture of the casting flaw everyone was going to the arsenal to check their frame for defects.
Im just as guilty as any of you too.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
revhigh said:
Most current 1911's work right out of the box perfectly ... as long as you keep your kitchen table, amateur gunsmithing hands the hell off of them.

I read the 1911 forum regularly, and I don't think there is a model made that doesn't have an occasional malfunctioning model, and some more than others.

All guns can have a bad gun or two.

Most 1911s are just fine out of the box, and work perfectly. Even the cheapies. I know I've owned and shot many of them.

I wouldn't pay 50% of what Mimbers cost, so I agree with you there.

Keep your hands off a 1911 and they're fine. Mess with them as an idiot amateur and be prepared for problems. 'Drop-in' equals problems.

REV

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
... most never had any interest in the 1911 platform at all. If they DID ... they had 100 years to get one ... yet DIDN'T. :D
REV

No fair!!!
I haven't had 100 years to get one yet. :cry:

As far as which creates the most sparks...I'll go with this 1911. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PISTOL-TORCH-BUTANE-GUN-LIGHTER-w-LASER-POINTER-NEW-/190449139514

$(KGrHqUOKjkE6,,rd5g1BPMOs0YG7w~~60_12.JPG

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
Well, if they didn't sell so many of them they wouldn't have as many reports. Get it? Let me explain. If you sell 10 guns and have one failure you will have one bad report. If you sell 100 guns and have 5 failures you will have 5 bad reports. So if you knew that one gun had 1 failure and another had 5 failures without knowing the number of guns sold, on the surface it would look like the one with 5 failures was the worse gun of the two. The above was for the benefit of those that didn't get past sixth grade.

Who said anything about failures? As far as I've heard the 1911 is flawless.

REV

lmao! Just kidding guys. Thought a little sarcasm was in order.