Slide Wobble

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XPTB

Bearcat
Anyone else notice this with their SR1911? If I wiggle the gun side to side, you can hear the slide hitting the frame. I've messed with a Wilson, Kimber, and Springfield. All of those are solid and don't wobble. I used a Taurus and an off brand that wobbled... I always associated this wobble with poor quality.

Thoughts?

The Wall

Single-Sixer
No wobble in mine at all. I do hear something inside of grip frame that rattles a little when I wave/shake the gun from left to right vigorously. No slide to frame movement in any direction.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
XPTB said:
... I always associated this wobble with poor quality.

Thoughts?
Don't worry about it. It's the fit of barrel to bushing to slide that matters. My SR1911 rattles, too. It's fired more than 6,000 rounds and is very reliable and very accurate. I have a CZ 75 B that also rattles. I've fired it even more and it's absolutely reliable (never a malf of any kind) and very accurate, too.

My brother-in-law had three C&S customs and a Kimber. All tight. The Kimber bound up about half-way through a recent steel match. A quick clean and lube got it back in action, but this shouldn't happen. I can't help but believe that a tight slide to frame fit is good for showing off and nothing else.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
martyj said:
All 1911s rattle.
I've heard this stated before, and I'm sure your correct. I'm not worried about my rattle at all. Was just making a point to the OP. It makes the bang noise very well, thank you. :)

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
dlidster said:
...It's the fit of barrel to bushing to slide that matters...

Among other things: Upper lug to slide fit. Barrel hood to breach-face fit. Barrel to bushing fit. Possibly lower lug to slide stop fit. All those things you have to do to get a new barrel to fit into the gun matter.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
Iron Mike Golf said:
martyj said:
All 1911s rattle.

Most. Some are made not to. Those are target guns and it doesn't take much debris to cause malfunctions.

Not all 1911s rattle. My target guns (a Colt NM, a custom Colt Government, my hardball gun with an Essex frame and Colt slide, and a Les Baer) are nice and tight and more importantly, they don't malfunction, even after 500+ rounds loaded with cast bullets and Bulleye (easily one of the dirtiest powders around). A target pistol that jams isn't worth much. A well-made pistol won't malfunction under normal use for which it's made. My only "rattler" is a Colt Series 70 Govt Model that has a little play in the slide. The only one that really rattled was an Ithaca that I carried in the Army, but that one was manufactured to a different tolerance spec than a target gun.

revhigh

Hawkeye
XPTB said:
I always associated this wobble with poor quality.

Thoughts?

I always associated shooting poorly with poor quality. :D

How does it shoot ? If it shoots really well and wobbles a little ... I'm PERFECTLY OK with that. So much the better ... it'll be reliable too.

Anbody can make a 1911 'not wobble or rattle' with a vice. The true test of a 1911 is how it shoots, and if it's reliable.

Colts have always had a reputation of having loose slide to frame fitment, and they've always been the best shooting 1911's I've owned. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have accuracy issues, and even then ... it can and most likely is ... something else.

REV

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
XPTB said:
I always associated this wobble with poor quality.

Thoughts?

I always associated shooting poorly with poor quality. :D

How does it shoot ? If it shoots really well and wobbles a little ... I'm PERFECTLY OK with that. So much the better ... it'll be reliable too.

Anbody can make a 1911 'not wobble or rattle' with a vice. The true test of a 1911 is how it shoots, and if it's reliable.

Colts have always had a reputation of having loose slide to frame fitment, and they've always been the best shooting 1911's I've owned. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have accuracy issues, and even then ... it can and most likely is ... something else.

REV

Amen to what Rev said.

DGW

mattsbox99

Hunter
I purchased a new STI for about $2500, when I got it it had no 'wobble'. I sent it off to be set up for a slightly different cartridge and $800 later it came back with a wobble. Reliability is king in the game I play, and reliable guns are loose. It helps a little that it is pretty accurate too.

XPTB

Bearcat
The gun shoots great. No problems with it. I was just double checking.

Makes sense that it would hold up better being a little lose for tolerance reasons.