Just saw my FIRST SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Went to a gun show today in Wind Gap PA. Lo and behold a large dealer there had an SR1911 in the case. I was surprised that it looked as 'brushed' as it did. I thought that the stainless would be more silver, but it actually had a bronzish tint and had quite a rough brushed finish. It was quite nice looking ... a totally different look than I expected.

He had it listed at $635 ($100 over dealer cost) and said that he had 8 of them. He said that there had been no interest in it at all up to that point, and the show was 4 hours old at the time. We talked awhile and he mentioned that after all the hoopla died down, that he'd be selling them for $580.

I handled it a bit .... it was nice .... and then I came to the conclusion that I already knew .... it was just another 1911 .... and I don't really need another 45ACP 1911.

My fever for the SR1911 has now ebbed to the point of almost non-interest after actually seeing one in person. It's a great looking gun ... but the bottom line is ... I just don't need a 13th 45ACP 1911.

If anybody wants the name of the gun shop PM me and I'll let you know.

My buddy did pick up a LNIB CZ75B polycoat with two mags and original box and paperwork for $375, so it was a good show for him. :D We shot it right afterward and the first 5 shots I shot went into a group about as big as a golf ball at 50 feet .... yup .... it's a CZ all right.

REV

Cholo

Staff member
Interesting obversations! It hit your price point and was still a no go. Since I only have 1 1911 .45ACP, and it's not full sized, I'd have probably bought it at the under $600 price...unlesss it was so homely a mother couldn't love it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Actually .... it DIDN'T hit my price point ...

My price point was $575 ... it was for sale at $635.

He said after the extreme demand (which didn't seem to exist at THAT show) died down it would be $580. :D

It's a nice gun ... just didn't do too much for me to be honest. Just another run-of-the-mill stainless 1911 ... which I knew from the start. I was kinda surprised that I was left kinda blah ... didn't even make an offer on it.

I guess another issue that's left me a little cold recently has been the talk of the casting flaws pictured here. All my 1911's have forged frames, and I don't want to end up with one like the one that's been pictured in a previous thread.

REV

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I have one already, but would have sold it to some desperate fellas around here.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Smokngun said:
would have sold it to some desperate fellas around here.

Not worth the hassle to make $50 or so. I'll just give 'em the info and they can go buy it.

Not completely sure ... but the demand DOES seem to be ebbing a bit. The show was massively crowded at around noon, with literally HUNDREDS of people ... and there it sat ... untouched and really un-inquired about except by me.

In my neck of the woods though ... Colt and S&W are the big handgun names, and many guys are serious gun nuts .... but they're nuts about RIFLES .... not necessarily handguns. All the shows in my area are at least 2/3 rifles.

REV

whtsmoke

Bearcat
I have gone ove mine with a fine tooth comb and have not found any of the casting flaws that have come up, and I used a strong magnifyer doing it.

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I went to a gun show today and saw my first today too! They wanted $1,000.00 for it because "They are impossible to get". :shock:

I passed. I guess some people will pay a premium to have anything or maybe the dealer didn't want to sell it, but for $1000.00 he would let it go.

I'm with revhigh. I'll just keep my two Colt's and one Kimber and pass on the SR1911 for now anyway. :D

robfrommaine

Bearcat
It is what it is. Get one if you want. Pay more, pay less. Buy another brand if you want. It's not 2011 anymore, so centennial attraction is gone. Mine was my first .45. My third Ruger. The 1911 design is timeless and I'm happy to have one that feels good in my hand, looks great, shoots great. No regrets. If I were a 1911 junkie I would maybe say ho-hum, just another ACP. Next gun will probably be an SP 101 .357 to add a bigger cal. revolver to my small collection. Then I can go to the revolver page and read about just another .357.... Life goes on.

Atec

Bearcat
Rev
That was a deal on the cz . I wish I could find another to add !

revhigh

Hawkeye
Atec said:
Rev
That was a deal on the cz . I wish I could find another to add !

Yeah ... one dealer had some beat up pre-b 75's and had them priced at $450 and $395, but they were REALLY torn up. Then we found the B model and it looked like it just came out of the factory. He had it priced at $425, and we hemmed and hawed a little bit, so he said how about $400 ?? I quickly said if that's OTD you got yourself a deal. He thought about it a few seconds and said ... yeah ... sure ... I'll do that.

So ... he got it for $375 +tax+PICS for exactly $400 OTD.

It shoots just as good as mine. They are awesome guns.

REV

Atec

Bearcat
Yeah ... one dealer had some beat up pre-b 75's and had them priced at $450 and $395, but they were REALLY torn up. Then we found the B model and it looked like it just came out of the factory. He had it priced at $425, and we hemmed and hawed a little bit, so he said how about $400 ?? I quickly said if that's OTD you got yourself a deal. He thought about it a few seconds and said ... yeah ... sure ... I'll do that.

So ... he got it for $375 +tax+PICS for exactly $400 OTD.

It shoots just as good as mine. They are awesome guns.

REV[/quote]
Well I just got to see mine today , the same one a Verdog ordered. Its shiney :lol: But I tell ya what it looks like it made very well . The limited Edition came in and My father wants its. So i am going to have the transfer paperwork done for that one . And the paperwork for the other should clear by Monday . I so far have paid for two , But have not shot either. But my SR40 Came in today. I am cleaning it now. Hope to get to range tommorow. I would have jumped on That ruger Sr1911 for that price. I just came back from Belair gun Show. No sr1911 at all

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
Rev I think you have it right $50 dollars. People aren't paying the astronomical prices for them anymore. I got to hold a CZ about 2 weeks ago for the first time. I really like it. A very solid piece.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Smokngun said:
Rev I think you have it right $50 dollars. People aren't paying the astronomical prices for them anymore. I got to hold a CZ about 2 weeks ago for the first time. I really like it. A very solid piece.

That seems to be the case. I mentioned that there were 8 guns at that dealer, and he was selling them for $635, and only TWO people PM'ed me asking for the dealer's name. TWO !!! I'd guess that one at the gunshow is probably still there. It appears supply seems to have caught up with demand pretty quickly from the lack of responses.

I'll say ONE thing for sure ... they look a LOT better in pictures than they do in person ... unless the one I saw was just a bad example. I've never seen brushing or bead blasting (or whatever the proces is) that was so coarse ... it's NOTHING like all my Ruger revolvers, which ALL have a beautiful brushed stainless finish. It was OK ... but that, and the casting concerns (to me) are what cooled my jets in a big way.

CZ's are pretty awesome guns, particularly the 75's. Not much compares to them, except maybe the Sig metal guns.

REV

Atec

Bearcat
That seems to be the case. I mentioned that there were 8 guns at that dealer, and he was selling them for $635, and only TWO people PM'ed me asking for the dealer's name.

How many ? :lol:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Nope, he just likes to poop on those of us that happen to like them. He likes to parade around how much better his Colts are than our poor man's guns. :D

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Ruger Packer said:
Rev, Do you even own any Rugers?? Have never seen you discuss them if you do. Its always Springs and CZ's... :?

Good question and something I've always wondered about, seems he just hangs here to bash Ruger owners with how superior CZ's and Colts are, and beat on guys who like to tinker with their guns.

Why doesn't he hang out with the CZ crowd, Angus would love to have him over there.
http://www.czfirearms.us/
But then again maybe not, Angus loves to talk about doing trigger mods, etc and Rev don't take kindly to that.
Sal

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Good for your buddy on the CZ choice. I hear good jobs are hard to come by in the Czech republic... Those folks over there undoubtedly thank him for buying one of their products.

:roll: :roll: :roll: