Sight Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JC

Bearcat
On my SR1911, my front sight sits on top of the rear dots to hit POA- meaning it shoots low when the dots are aligned. Anybody else have this? I have only shot Federal 230 gr ball ammo- about 500 rounds.

I know the rear will adjust left to right, but is there a way to adjust this? Suggestions/Alternatives?

JC

dlidster

Single-Sixer
JC said:
On my SR1911, my front sight sits on top of the rear dots to hit POA- meaning it shoots low when the dots are aligned.
JC
When you say POA, what is your sight picture? Do you set the bullseye atop the post? Or, do you center the dot on the bull?

I'm not a bullseye shooter. In PS practice and matches -- and everyday plinking -- I lay the front dot over the intended POI and that's where is hits. If I set the intended POI (bullseye) atop the post, mine, too, will shoot low.

Your alternative might be a lower front sight. Check out Midway and Brownell's. Or, ask at www.novaksights.com. They make the sights for the SR1911.

pisgah

Buckeye
For me, it seems that most 3-dot sights shoot low unless
I line the dots up and put the front-sight dot dead on where I want the shot to hit. Six o'clock hold, using the top of the front sight as my point of reference, hits low.

JC

Bearcat
dlidster said:
JC said:
On my SR1911, my front sight sits on top of the rear dots to hit POA- meaning it shoots low when the dots are aligned.
JC
When you say POA, what is your sight picture? Do you set the bullseye atop the post? Or, do you center the dot on the bull?

I'm not a bullseye shooter. In PS practice and matches -- and everyday plinking -- I lay the front dot over the intended POI and that's where is hits. If I set the intended POI (bullseye) atop the post, mine, too, will shoot low.

Your alternative might be a lower front sight. Check out Midway and Brownell's. Or, ask at www.novaksights.com. They make the sights for the SR1911.

I am putting the front sight on teh bullseye - centering, not above. I am new to 1911s. I have been shooting a G26, Browning Buckmark, and GP 100. I aim all the same way, and the SR 1911 is just a tad low.

JC

The Norseman

Blackhawk
My question is, can you tap off the SR1911 original Novak rear sight
and tap on the adjustable Novak rear sight (shown on their site)
without milling the slide?

The Ruger SR1911 owners manual says the dovetail slots are Colt
Dovetail....whatever that is. So with the above mentioned fit and
require no additional milling on the slide, underneith adi. sight?

mattsbox99

Hunter
They are a standard Novak dovetail.

Mine shoots POA with a 6 o'clock hold (dots lined up below the bullseye). It shoots the same with 200 grain L RNFP and 230 grain ball.