JHP SWC ETC...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harcypervin

Bearcat
Just curious to see if anyone had been running anything besides FMJ 230's in their SR 1911s and would care to share any results? Reliabillity, POI vs POA, groups, etc...

Thanks,

mattsbox99

Hunter
I primarily run 200 grain RNFPs through mine. My gun is more accurate with those than the 230 FMJ. Reliability is good, sights are right on.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
230 gr moly LRN. At least 5000 of them run thru with zero problems.
They hit right where I aim.

harcypervin

Bearcat
[/quote]have shot 16 rounds of Hornady 200gr. XTP with not problems.
16 rounds is a start...it would take a lot more than that for me to be confident in having HPs in the magazine though....interesting though.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Well, you can't use somebody else experience with HP to judge your gun. I've run about 50 or so of the Federal HST through mine with no problems.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've run 230 FMJ, 230 LRN, 200 TCFP, 185 SWC, Hydra Shoks, Hornady TAP's, Remington Golden Sabres. Basically a bucket of mixed stuff I've had over the years from left over matches and whatnot. Figure I've run right around 1,000 rounds through it so far.

They all ran reliably and hit where I aimed. Pretty uneventful actually.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
have shot 16 rounds of Hornady 200gr. XTP with not problems.
16 rounds is a start...it would take a lot more than that for me to be confident in having HPs in the magazine though....interesting though.
[/quote]
I don't see why people think they have to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds through a gun to feel confident about it. In this case if there's a problem it would be the ammo not the gun. So if you have confidence in the gun and it fires a particular type of manufactured ammunition without any failures of any kind. It's good to go in my opinion. Why spend hundreds of dollars on ammunition when you don't need to. Does the manufacture fire hundreds of rounds through a new gun to make sure it works? The only gun I have that had a problem with a type of ammo was my SR556 and Tula ammunition, and the problem showed up in the first two rounds. The ammo I referred to is self defense and isn't cheap, so that's the main reason for only 16 rounds. That's 16 dead bad guys. :lol:

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I've run just over (as of two weeks ago) 6,000 200gr LSWCs from three different cast bullet suppliers through my SR1911. (All are based on the same #68 H&G design.) These are modest loads -- 5.0gr Unique with a COAL of 1.25".

I use Wilson 47D magazines; they perform flawlessly. I don't have confidence in the Ruger factory magazines from Check-Mate, a topic I discussed extensively many months ago. I'm perfectly happy with the 18.5# spring from Ruger. I tried 16# and 14# Wolff springs and experienced no improvement. I went back to the 18.5# spring because shooting the SR1911 with this spring/load combination just feels good. (I do note, however, that Ruger is now selling a 16# spring as the standard replacement.)

When I find something that works, I stick with it. With this load I've experienced almost no malfunctions in my SR1911.

I will point out, however, that the SR1911 has difficulty ejecting a loaded round with any bullet, which is necessary at the end of every stage in a PS match. I'm just guessing, but I think this is a result of a longer-than-standard ejector. But this is another topic...

mattsbox99

Hunter
I've noticed the same thing D, at the end of a stage I've grown accustomed to flipping the loaded cartridge out of the chamber and catching it in the air. I can't do that with the SR1911.

OEM magazines have been 100% reliable for me though.

harcypervin

Bearcat
Interesting, thanks guys.... I'm relatively new in the 1911 world. I've shot them, and plenty of other pistols, but this will be the first pistol I've purchased. Almost all of my shooting will be plinking and paper punching, but the gun will be around and available if needed. That being said, I don't want to throw a couple mags of expensive JHPs through it and decide I trust them as I've heard that 1911's run better with 230 fmj or just fmj in general.

Again, I have no experience to base this on, its just what I've heard, which is why I'm asking.

rjbishop

Bearcat
I shot 100 230gr XTP reloads yesterday. One FTF on the first round in the mag (but my SR1911 is particularly tight and started out of the box with occasional FTF .) It's finally getting broken in now, and the FTF are rare.

I'd say this model is like many other 1911s- no issues with XTP at a minimum.

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
Mine will feed 185 and 200 grn Leads SWC's no problem. But...I'm having problems feeding jacked 185gr SWC's, both Remington and Hornady. The part of the bullet above the shoulder is a bit shorter on both of these jacketed versions than the LSWCs. They jam while feeding with the nose up at a high angle hanging on the barrel hood. I'm going to try some other mags, and then seating the loads a bit longer before messing with anything else. The same loads feed fine in my Kimbers, Colt, and SW 1911.