Is Remington Whupping Ruger in the 1911 markets?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Saw no less than three Remington variants at the LGS yesterday. I have to say their stainless 1911A1 looks pretty nice for the same retail as the SR1911. May have to pick one up soon!

(even though this LGS sold me a SR1911 in July and they have a couple every month... they consistently have & sell multiple Remingtons for each Ruger)

Any opinions - anyone have a 1911R1 already?

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
I would probably guess that is the case with the Remingtons for two reasons. One, they seem to be able to get the dealers supplied better. More than likely though, I would say that since the R1 has been on the market longer, the consumers know more about it than the Ruger.

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
The R1 has been tempting me for a while now. Really nice looking gun. It is slowly moving it's way up my list. They look to be nice pieces and in good supply.

For whatever it's worth, Remington hasn't built a pistol since 1935, except the XP-10 pistol/rifle ended in 1998. Maybe there's some pent-up nostalgia/demand whatever. They did come out with multiple models at different price points. That definately is an edge over the Ruger offering.

I like the Govt. look to it. Never shot one. I'd just be surprised if Ruger's long handgunner tradition doesn't bring a stronger following to the SR1911 than Remington.

hittman

Staff member
I'd say Ruger is getting whooped by about all 1911 manufacturers. What's sad about that is it has nothing to do with the firearm itself but ..... Ruger can't seem to get them in the hands of the public.

Now that the calendar has turned from '11 to '12 I hope people still on waiting lists don't lose interest.

I have two friends with the Range Officer, not the R1 and they really like them. I personally haven't fired one.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Did some more research and found that The Local Gun Store (LGS) has the Remingtion R1S 1911 Stainless Steel 45ACP
listed but not available at their Distributor yet.

So I got one on order (6Jan12). I'm the first on the list. Price will be $696.00 out the door (OTD).

The Remingtion R1S 1911 Stainless Steel 45ACP will be about $60 more than my Ruger SR1911, but I don't care
because the R1 Blued had very good reviews (and I got to look at several) and was a sleeper also in 2011.
I'm sure the R1S is just as good or better.

Hope it is not as long a wait as it was for my Ruger SR1911 (May11-Dec11). Told them I would not bug them like I did the Ruger SR1911.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Distributor Exclusives (paid committment) aside, I'd like to see Ruger announce/deliver any "next variant" even if they just spray-n-bake over the stainless parts... (grips don;t count as a variant!)

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
I'd say Ruger is getting whooped by about all 1911 manufacturers.

Not sure I'd put it exactly in those terms, seeing as they're selling every one they can make and then some, but I know where you're coming from.

I can see Ruger fans who are non-1911 owners being really excited about it just because it's a new Ruger, and just chafing at the bit to get one ... I can also see current 1911 guys wanting one, but not being too excited about it (like me).

They'll do great with it, but it is too bad they're so backlogged. They could probably sell another 200,000 of them in the first quarter if they could make them, which it appears they can't.

They seem to be concentrating on the high profit, low end guns for now like the LC's ... and the slightly upmarket SR's. If I were Ruger, I think I might just concentrate a little more on 1911's, all their variants, and colors, and maybe even open a little custom shop.

The demand is there ... if the price point is right ....

REV

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, you're right Rev. I should have clarified my thoughts that Ruger is gettin' whooped in the category of putting SR1911s in the hands of so many consumers who want them.

Or, maybe it's the distributors who are failing in getting them delivered. I don't know which story to believe.

I can tell you this though ..... my 3 or 4 local FFLs who can't get their mits on ONE SR1911 have in stock Single Ten's and SR22's.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
Ruger is just to darn busy building and selling all their plastic guns to even care.

A.W.

Unfortunately ... I believe you're correct .... the profit margin on these plastic cheapies must be monstrous ... I just hope Ruger doesn't become the next KelTec, Taurus, or HiPoint. It would be a shame to think the days of Ruger serious iron was ebbing.

REV

egl52

Single-Sixer
After months of waiting for a Ruger to show up at a local shop I decided to buy the Remington R1 Enhanced. I know they've been available on gunbroker, but typically they sell for over $800. I got the R1 Enhanced for $690, which is about what the dealers around here would sell the SR1911 for if they could ever get them. Even though I'm sure I would have loved the Ruger it's probably for the best. I prefer the blued finish, forward slide serrations, and front strap serrations of the R1 Enhanced anyway.

Tellico

Buckeye
I could forget the SR1911 if Remington had not made the enhanced R1 a series 80. The Range Officer is looking more probable every time I call LGS and they say no SR 1911 yet.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tellico said:
The Range Officer is looking more probable every time I call LGS and they say no SR 1911 yet.

The Range Officer ... if you can get one ... should be a spectacular gun .... right about $700 too !

REV

Tellico

Buckeye
revhigh said:
Tellico said:
The Range Officer is looking more probable every time I call LGS and they say no SR 1911 yet.

The Range Officer ... if you can get one ... should be a spectacular gun .... right about $700 too !

REV

They have RO's in stock everytime I stop in to check on SR, but I have a park'ed 1911 now and was hoping for the SS. Guess I could have an RO NP3'D cause I would have to put adj. sights on the SR anyway.

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
The current issue of Handloader magazine on the stands now has reviews of both the Ruger and Remington enhance model. They put them both on a Ransom rest and tried some known accurate 45ACP loads. Both pistols did sub 2 inch groups at 25 yds, but the Remington edged out the Ruger by a very tiny margin with the best group. Both did quite a bit better than than the Kimbers and Springfields tested a few months back with the same loads.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Tellico said:
revhigh said:
Tellico said:
They have RO's in stock everytime I stop in to check on SR

Out of curiosity ... how much are the RO's at your LGS ?

REV

Last week I was told $739. That seems fair to me.

Yeah ... not bad at all .... best I've seen is $715.

You should snag one ! They can be tough to get.

REV

Latest posts