Is Remington Whupping Ruger in the 1911 markets?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Saw no less than three Remington variants at the LGS yesterday. I have to say their stainless 1911A1 looks pretty nice for the same retail as the SR1911. May have to pick one up soon!

(even though this LGS sold me a SR1911 in July and they have a couple every month... they consistently have & sell multiple Remingtons for each Ruger)

Any opinions - anyone have a 1911R1 already?

I have handled and dry-fired an R1. It was nice, good lockup, respectably tight. The trigger was decent but had a bit of take-up and a tinge of sponge to it.

I have shot a SR1911 a fair amount, they are also well made and accurate (about 2in@25yds). They have a little bit better trigger than the R1. Same money or less. It's stainless and has better sights. For me, the SR is a better gun...of course I dont own either...yet.

The only two negatives I see to the Remington R1 are that Remington is now owned by Freedom Group. Many formerly good companies that have come under the FG umbrella have been turned into gutted-shells of their former selves. Think Bushmaster, Marlin and now AAC. Quality has gone downhill at many of the FG owned companies.

The other complaint I have with the R1 pistol in particular is that it has a Series 80 Trigger. That includes the firing pin block and accounts for some of the less desirable traits to the R1 trigger.

The Ruger SR1911 has a series 70 trigger setup that gives it a somewhat better trigger.

These are minor differences in practice but I think the Ruger comes out ahead. If you can find one.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
I'd say Ruger is getting whooped by about all 1911 manufacturers. What's sad about that is it has nothing to do with the firearm itself but ..... Ruger can't seem to get them in the hands of the public.

Now that the calendar has turned from '11 to '12 I hope people still on waiting lists don't lose interest.

I have two friends with the Range Officer, not the R1 and they really like them. I personally haven't fired one.

I lost interest in the Ruger 1911 for the reasons you mentioned above. I picked up a SIG 1911 XO instead....love it, a great pistol! The Range Officer does look tempting....

YMMV,
boomer 8)

I didn't have to have a 1911. I had to have a Ruger SR1911. Every time you see one or more R1911, or anyone elses, that means it's not sold.

Everytime you look for an SR1911 and don't find one (like we all have) that means all that can be had have been sold within hours of arrival.

I wouldn't exactly call that gettin whupped.

hittman

Staff member
steveodtw said:
Everytime you look for an SR1911 and don't find one (like we all have) that means all that can be had have been sold within hours of arrival.

No, not at all. It means that they producing fewer than needed, sending 100 to one distributor for laser etching, some to Talo for special paint, big box distributors for $800 price tags, many to corporate employees, etc.

ronnielc

Bearcat
As this is a Ruger site, I think it makes sense that we wait for the Sr1911. I got mine a couple weeks ago now. I mean anyone could have purchased a 1911 before and after the SR1911 came out. This is my first but I am a Ruger guy and just thought I would wait to get theirs. I really like the gun, the 1911 and the caliber. I will likely venture to a much more upscale one in the future but this is a nice start. I shot mine next to a friend that has a $2000 plus Dan Wesson and I beat him with my Sr1911 and my Sr9c.

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Out of curiosity ... how much are the RO's at your LGS ?

REV

This is what is strange...at the various gun shops that I go to around the DFW area, prices are almost always higher for just about any gun you mention than people report at other parts of the country! I know everything is bigger in Texas, but they could stop that when it comes to price tags...

In the shops here that had the RO, they ran from $850 to over $900...if they even have them, and they don't have them long if they do.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
revhigh said:
Out of curiosity ... how much are the RO's at your LGS ?

REV

This is what is strange...at the various gun shops that I go to around the DFW area, prices are almost always higher for just about any gun you mention than people report at other parts of the country! I know everything is bigger in Texas, but they could stop that when it comes to price tags...

In the shops here that had the RO, they ran from $850 to over $900...if they even have them, and they don't have them long if they do.

Gun prices are very much 'local'. Prices where I am in eastern PA seem to be about the lowest in the country. If I lived in a high priced area ... Buds, JGSales, or CDNN would get my business.

REV

Latest posts