What is your favorite 1911 caliber and why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Whats your favorite 1911 caliber and why?

• 45 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 MM

• 9 MM

• 38 Super

• 22 LR

• 40 S&W

• Other?

• Total voters

hittman

Staff member
My first, one and only 1911 is in .45 ACP. Interested in learning what other calibers more experienced 1911 folks have and why.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I voted .45ACP. The gun and cartridge were literally made for each other, and to this day I think the 1911 is still the best and most efficient launch vehicle for .45ACP, especially the lightweight Commanders.

For a long time I've wanted a 5" all-steel .38 Super to play with, but truth to tell I have no need and no real use for one and have a hard time justifying that kind of whipout for an expensive toy shooting expensive ammo.

I think the 1911 is a marginal gun for the 10mm cartridge, though I can see the appeal if one wanted a fairly packable defensive handgun in "bear country" or something of that nature.

In both 9mm and .40, there are more efficient launch vehicles than the 1911 that I like better.

The 1911 makes a lovely .22LR platform. I've put around 25K rounds through a Colt Conversion unit (Service Ace type), a carefully logged 15K+ through a 5" Ciener unit, and I don't even know how many thousands of rounds through a Ciener Commander-length unit. Shooting the 1911 is twice as much fun if you're not worrying about the cost of ammo, nor accounting for every single piece of brass. The 1911 with the 5" Ciener in semi-permanent residence on it is one of my to "go-to" grab-it-and-go-and-don't-worry-about-it .22 plinking handguns, the other one being a 4" S&W M17 K-22.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I like the .45 ACP in the 1911 because that's what it was designed for and I like to keep things close to the original. Having the 1911 chambered in other calibers is cool if you have a need, or just prefer something different. It really says something about the design of this gun that it can be adapted for different sizes and calibers. Can't get any better than 100 years of perfection. I CCW my 1911 and it's good to know that you have something with some good close range stopping power also.

Sugar River

Buckeye
God and JMB (some would say one in the same) designed the 1911 and 45acp for each other.

Any other cartridge in a 1911 is an abortion.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I voted 45 but that doesn't mean thzt I don't still want a 9

Rev

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Chamber the 1911 in .357 Sig. and you will instantly bring J.M.B's relic handgun into the modern age. The old .45 ACP. cahtridge belongs in a museum for gawd sakes. :roll:

A.W.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
God and JMB (some would say one in the same) designed the 1911 and 45acp for each other.

Any other cartridge in a 1911 is an abortion.

I have had several W.W.1 Colt Govt. Model 1911's as well as modern .45's and that is my favorite calibre for fun shooting. That being said I also shoot IPSC and I have a sweet S&W Pro Series 1911 in 9mm for that as I shoot thousands of rounds and it's easier on the wallet as well as the hands. To say any cartidge other than .45 is an abortion isn't being purist it's just being small minded. I can't speak for God but I believe JMB would back me up on that.

Mike

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
The 1911's I own or will own will be 45 acp.If I want to shoot 9mm or .38's I will shoot guns designed for those calibers.

DGW1949

Hunter
Snake45 said:
I voted .45ACP. The gun and cartridge were literally made for each other, and to this day I think the 1911 is still the best and most efficient launch vehicle for .45ACP.....

.....For a long time I've wanted a 5" all-steel .38 Super to play with, but truth to tell I have no need and no real use for one and have a hard time justifying that kind of whipout for an expensive toy shooting expensive ammo.......

.....In both 9mm and .40, there are more efficient launch vehicles than the 1911 that I like better.

All the above.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
Chamber the 1911 in .357 Sig. and you will instantly bring J.M.B's relic handgun into the modern age. The old .45 ACP. cahtridge belongs in a museum for gawd sakes.

How about I shoot you with that old museum caliber once, and tell me how that works out AW ??? :D

357 Sig .... the answer to a question that nobody ever asked .....

REV

The Wall

Single-Sixer
How can something be your favorite if they don't make it now, and never have? The poll question isn't asking what you would like to have for a favorite. So the two people that answered "Other", need to explain. Do you have, or have you ever had a 1911 in .357Sig or 9X23?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
OF COURSE I HAVE A SA 1911A1 IN 9 X 23.
Nothing from any other meduim bore cartridge in a 1911A1 will do what it will do, and it will do is all with ease and accuracy that is astounding. IT IS what the SUPER 38ACP should have been all the way back when.
IT just amazes me on here how many of you people are absolutely clueless as to what went on in gundom up to the day you were born.
R-T-F-B's.....
And so it goes...........oh my......

Snake45

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
How can something be your favorite if they don't make it now, and never have? The poll question isn't asking what you would like to have for a favorite. So the two people that answered "Other", need to explain. Do you have, or have you ever had a 1911 in .357Sig or 9X23?
I can think of several "other" calibers that 1911s have been made in. Just a few off the top of my head:

.38 Special WC

.38 AMU

.38/.45

.41 AE

.45 Super

.45 GAP

"Other" covers such obscure and low-volume units quite well, thank you very much. :wink:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Rev

Heck, you couldn't hit the broadside of the President's wife's butt with that archaic 1911. "bout the only thing the ol' .45 is good for is punchin' holes in paper targets big enough so all the old farts can see where they're hitting. Darn thing aint nothin' but a glorified paper weight. :lol:

A.W.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
Rev

Heck, you couldn't hit the broadside of the President's wife's butt with that archaic 1911. "bout the only thing the ol' .45 is good for is punchin' holes in paper targets big enough so all the old farts can see where they're hitting. Darn thing aint nothin' but a glorified paper weight. :lol:

A.W.
That's insulting on so many levels that it reminds me why I had you on my "Troll--Ignore" list. I don't know how you got off of it--must have been in a system restore I did a couple weeks ago. :roll:

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Snake for the information. It's good to know what some of the others are. And Wil Terry I'm really sorry that not all of the clueless people in here are as smart as you. I'm not impressed! :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
Rev

A.W.

You'd be surprised AW. Even I can hit a target THAT BIG. Those SWC's DO cut a nice big hole don't they ?

.357 Sig .... bah .... sacrilege ....

Shot at 50 feet.

DSC_0504.jpg

IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

REV