What's the Best 9mm 1911 for under $800... or so?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Verndog

Blackhawk
I'm buying a gun a year and found a local range I'm joining soon...so next plan is a 1911 (I think), and at this point I want to go 9mm. Guess that means Ruger is out. :cry: So...any suggestions on a good quality 9mm 1911, I keep things a long time and want something that's a keeper. Also, I prefer stainless steel if possible.

Suggestions appreciated...TIA. 8)

hittman

Staff member
Give a shout to Revhigh .... he's been looking at 9MM 1911's and I think has one picked out finally.

Verndog

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Give a shout to Revhigh .... he's been looking at 9MM 1911's and I think has one picked out finally.

I think I just did...I posted in HIS forum. :D

Figure him and cheese will spot this here. Guess I'm open to other suggestions. What I'm looking for is 1) reliable 2) accurate 3) SA 4) 9mm 5) USA over import all things equal.

Just ran across this...heard good things about Browning but never fired one. It's over the price I posted but that's negotiable of course. :D

browning_hp_std.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey Vern.....Don't look now, but all Browning HP's are imports.
They used to come from Belgium but last I looked, they are now being made in Japan.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Verndog

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
Hey Vern.....Don't look now, but all Browning HP's are imports.
They used to come from Belgium but last I looked, they are now being made in Japan.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Thanks for the heads up DGW. USA would be my first choice, but I will also lean towards the best available weapon for my $$$ and needs. I thought I read somewhere they were made in Canada now... (upper US). :)

lark63

Single-Sixer
I just bought a basic Rock Island for under $375.00 out the door -US made nope. One of the best deals out there. 250 rounds and no issues.
Not a whole lot of US made options for the budget you have set.
Just food for thought.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Anybody know much about the CZ 75B. Looks perfect for what I'm looking for... AND around $500.00....what's the catch???

pastedgraphic-28.gif

21609.jpg

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
Anybody know much about the CZ 75B. Looks perfect for what I'm looking for... AND around $500.00....what's the catch???

pastedgraphic-28.gif

21609.jpg

No catch. This is the most reliable (excepting revolvers) and accurate handgun I own. I shoot USPSA and club matches with it and, now, my SR1911. Just yesterday I shot both. I beat myself shooting the SR1911 with my CZ 75B. I love it.

Here's the site that first turned me on to it. I recommend this gun to anyone getting a first handgun and to all getting another handgun. And, as a valuable bonus, CZ-USA Customer Service is out of this world.

http://www.best9mm.com/

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I thought you were looking for a 1911! Well in that case, go to the Beretta website, or how about the Springfield website. They have excellent guns in your price range. By the way, your Avatar freaks me out. I find that I can't look at it for long periods of time. :lol:

DGW1949

Hunter
Hey Vern.....Don't look now but that CZ aint made in USA either, nor a SA...it's a DA.

Just sayin' (again).

DGW

Verndog

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
Hey Vern.....Don't look now but that CZ aint made in USA either, nor a SA...it's a DA.
Just sayin' (again).
DGW

Well until I can find something comparable that is domestic... then made in USA will be out the window... And the CZ can be either SA / DA from what I read, and there are SA models as well.

Most models have the capability of being fired in both single and double action modes, and feature a frame-mounted manual safety. Some recent models have a decocking lever that doubles as a manual safety. Starting in the early 1990s, all CZ 75s have been made with firing pin blocks, designated by the letter B (as in CZ 75B).

The Wall said:
I thought you were looking for a 1911! Well in that case, go to the Beretta website, or how about the Springfield website. They have excellent guns in your price range. By the way, your Avatar freaks me out. I find that I can't look at it for long periods of time. :lol:

Doesn't HAVE to be a 1911, just that style and SA trigger.
You think that's bad….try having to look in the mirror everyday!! :D

mattsbox99

Hunter
I can't really argue with the CZ, my Shadow is pretty darn accurate. I don't shoot it as much as I used to, my tuned up M&P and 1911s command the bulk of my attention.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Have you been living under A ROCK for the past few months VD??? There have been numerous threads about the CZs... Cheezwhizzer is the guru and Revhigh thinks they're the best thing after a Colt GC.

A CZ75B and a 1911 are different breeds. You can carry a 75B cocked/locked like a 1911 so the DA isn't really necessary. A CZ trigger isn't a 1911 trigger but it gets pretty nice. You really NEED one of each, just decide which one you want first.

Verndog

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ said:
Have you been living under A ROCK for the past few months VD??? There have been numerous threads about the CZs... Cheezwhizzer is the guru and Revhigh thinks they're the best thing after a Colt GC.

A CZ75B and a 1911 are different breeds. You can carry a 75B cocked/locked like a 1911 so the DA isn't really necessary. A CZ trigger isn't a 1911 trigger but it gets pretty nice. You really NEED one of each, just decide which one you want first.

I don't read the 1911 forum much, just started after I made up my mind to get another semi auto with a better trigger. I thought cheese has the SP_XX models?? Not sure of the differences there...need to do more reading, plus they (CZ's) appear to be hard to find.

hittman

Staff member
I bought a CZ75 on the recommendation of Revhigh. No regrets and I happily recommend them. Mine is an older "pre-B" model that frankly, I enjoy shooting more than my RIA 1911. Fits my hand better, more accurate and as stated earlier, functions much the same as a 1911.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:

I couldn't have said it better ....

For a 1911 9MM at that price ... I would pick the Springfield stainless loaded target .... right about $825.

The CZ75's are awesome .... you definitely need one or two of both.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
I thought cheese has the SP_XX models?? Not sure of the differences there...need to do more reading, plus they (CZ's) appear to be hard to find.

Cheese has about 3 or 4 of every CZ ever made. His favorites and sexiest are the SP01's, but they're still 75's.

You can get almost any CZ at czcustom.com at very good prices.

REV

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
...For a 1911 9MM at that price ... I would pick the Springfield stainless loaded target .... right about $825.
REV

I was checking out the Springfield P19134LP you mentioned. Specs say it's a full sized 41oz gun that holds just 9 rounds in 9mm?? Whats up with that??

Other then that looks nice but I'm not sure about the large lumpy hook hanging off the backstrap area near thumb...looks a bit uncomfortable.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=22

DSC07093.jpg