What's the Best 9mm 1911 for under $800... or so?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Yeah ... I'd say a CZ75 did that ..... although it'll still do that WAY beyond 25 feet !!

The recoil spring is supposed to be like that.

That thing will blow away 99% of the 9MM guns on the planet. There's no comparison to most other 9MM's.

REV

Ya...the CZ could still do that way beyond but I couldn't. :wink:

One of these days I will finally give in to getting glasses, I'm having issues with focus on front sight (all my guns not just the CZ), and targets beyond 35'. Problem is I need a bifocal, so I'm not sure if they will help or possibly hurt my shooting.??

How are you guys activating the slide release, opposite hand or shooting hand? Reason I ask is I cannot reach the release with shooting thumb unless I reposition my grip by turning hand some. I found it easier to use my off hand for release.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
How are you guys activating the slide release, opposite hand or shooting hand? Reason I ask is I cannot reach the release with shooting thumb unless I reposition my grip by turning hand some. I found it easier to use my off hand for release.

Since most (really all) of my shooting is at the range, I use the right (shooting) hand and just reposition. The chances of having to do that in a civillian combat situation are so small as to be not even worth talking about ... even if you DO have extra mags.

It's wonderful being able to carry cocked and locked like a 1911 ... isn't it ? The safety is perfectly positioned, and perfectly tensioned and formed for an easy 'snick' off when you want to go hot. I use it all the time in steel shoots just like that.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Maybe Rev will help you pick out a pattern for the engraving!! :lol:

Be glad to ... I like little yellow pansies surrounded by roses and chrysanthemums .... :roll:

REV

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
It's wonderful being able to carry cocked and locked like a 1911 ... isn't it ? The safety is perfectly positioned, and perfectly tensioned and formed for an easy 'snick' off when you want to go hot. I use it all the time in steel shoots just like that.

REV

Yes it sure is! That was one of several deciding factors in going with the CZ. The feel of release / fire movement is very similar to my SR9c. Since I will likely be shooting this much of my range time I'm learning good habits for either gun.

The only other thing that took getting used to was the pre travel in SA trigger. Neither of my revolvers in SA mode has that, so I wasn't expecting the CZ to, but it's smooth and predictable and easy to keep on target and that's what is important to me.

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
hittman said:

Be glad to ... I like little yellow pansies surrounded by roses and chrysanthemums .... :roll:

REV

Dang...I was hoping to engrave "9mm Pistol" on the side, the engraver is running 2 for 1 so I was going to have him engrave "drivers door" on my car also. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
revhigh said:
hittman said:

REV

Dang...I was hoping to engrave "9mm Pistol" on the side, the engraver is running 2 for 1 so I was going to have him engrave "drivers door" on my car also. :D

Sounds like a winning combination !! Maybe he could engrave 'Trigger Finger' on the correct finger as well. :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
The only other thing that took getting used to was the pre travel in SA trigger.

All DA/SA semi's are like that with a lot of take-up in SA mode.

Feel free to dry-fire the hell out of that CZ. I used to sit in my living room watching TV and just pull the trigger hundreds of times. It really smooths it out and polishes the action. You can't do any damage to it with or without a mag. If you're concerned, just put a fired case in the chamber ... or a snap cap if you have one in 9MM. As you're pulling the trigger in DA mode, you can put a little pressure on the hammer to restrict it's movement and help polish the action even more. CZ75's LOVE to be dry fired, and it really smooths the action in case you might have any creep or grittiness in a fairly young gun.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
The feel of release / fire movement is very similar to my SR9c.

After that SR9C sits in the safe for a few months untouched, call me .... I'll take it off your hands for a hundred bucks or so.

REV

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
After that SR9C sits in the safe for a few months untouched, call me .... I'll take it off your hands for a hundred bucks or so.

REV

:lol: :lol:

The 9c is not going anywhere, except pretty much everywhere I do. :wink:
But...it is now the gun I hope not to shoot, at least not much.

Atec

Bearcat
The 9c is not going anywhere, except pretty much everywhere I do. :wink:
But...it is now the gun I hope not to shoot, at least not much
.[/quote]

Vern ,
Overall it sounds like you are pretty darn happy with the cz. I was looking at a extended slide info after reading what you said. So overall you are pleased with purchase?

Hey Rev........ Add me to the SR40 club. It will be the first non metal frame pistol I have purchased! I hope I did not make a mistake , time will tell :lol:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Atec said:
Vern ,
Overall it sounds like you are pretty darn happy with the cz. I was looking at a extended slide info after reading what you said. So overall you are pleased with purchase?

Very happy with it. My main goal was an accurate 9mm range gun with smooth SA trigger in all stainless and it delivered. I'm a perfectionist so the take-up caught me off guard but it's easy to shoot and likely I'll forget about it soon enough. It's easy to feel when you get to the actual action.

In hind sight though, I don't even know why there is a DA option, doesn't seem like a need since you have to rack to cock and chamber a round anyway? I doubt you could even find a SA only in polished stainless. Not sure what the extended slide is all about? Where did you find that info?

Atec

Bearcat

I may have misunderstood satement, Well either way , I hope they ship mine soon after your review, I can not wait to get to the range !

Verndog

Blackhawk
Atec said:

I may have misunderstood satement, Well either way , I hope they ship mine soon after your review, I can not wait to get to the range !

The slide release is no big deal, I was more curious how others were using it. I've only worked with it a couple hours, so once I figure out the exact motion and practice it, I will no longer have to "think" about it. On my SR9c I don't have to reposition my hand, and my hand is size med. so the CZ being a larger gun it makes sense that will be different to access. The important "heat of the moment" control (safety) is a piece of cake to access and that is what is most important.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
How are you guys activating the slide release, opposite hand or shooting hand?[/b] Reason I ask is I cannot reach the release with shooting thumb unless I reposition my grip by turning hand some. I found it easier to use my off hand for release.

I take my left hand and move the slide back a little and release.
After I insert a new mag, I just roll my hand up to the slide and push it back enough to disengage it and it's good to go. It's fast also. I have a CZ 75BD (decocker) the trigger isn;t as smooth as the B but it's just as accurate, it's the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot.
Jim

revhigh

Hawkeye
buscadero said:
it's just as accurate, it's the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot.
Jim

That it is .... I used to think 9MM round wasn't that inherently accurate, but the CZ75 and Sig P226 changed my mind.

REV

Atec

Bearcat
[/quote]I have a CZ 75BD (decocker) the trigger isn;t as smooth as the B but it's just as accurate, it's the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot.
Thats one thing I wish I could have compared ,the SR40 with was the CZ in 40 cal. But because there are no lgd around my area that carry CZ , I was not going to order one to compare. That little plastic card is starting to melt after this month. :lol:

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
Good choice, Verndog. I like CZ's and their "clones". I am partial to the Israeli variant myself. Excellent trigger out of the box. Congrats on your new gun, enjoy it!

2012-01-10192353.jpg

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Sounds like a winning combination !! Maybe he could engrave 'Trigger Finger' on the correct finger as well. :D
REV

Too late! Already had "nose finger" engraved on that one. :D

SoliDeoGloria said:
Good choice, Verndog. I like CZ's and their "clones". I am partial to the Israeli variant myself. Excellent trigger out of the box. Congrats on your new gun, enjoy it!

Thank you Soli, that is a very convincing book marker you have there. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Hey Vern.....Don't look now, but all Browning HP's are imports.
They used to come from Belgium but last I looked, they are now being made in Japan.

Just sayin'.

DGW

And they're not 1911's .....

Check out the Springfield Loaded Target.

For inexpenxive thr RIA 9mm 1911

REV

Atec

Bearcat
I've owned/analyzed/sold 3 different 40's .... never again. I will NEVER own another 40 as long as I live. I hate them so much that I won't even shoot friend's 40's. With modern 9MM's and the 45ACP ... 40 is a worthless and un-needed caliber AFAIC. If you're a LEO ... fine ... use 40's ... for target use .... 40's blow.

So , really Rev. Dont hold it in !
I guess I wont tell ya what I just purchased ! But it start with SR