SR1911 range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kermit

Bearcat
On 12/22/11 I took my SR1911 to the range to test some more handloads. I loaded 25 rounds of each particular load. Both loads used .45 ACP cases, 4.2 grains of Alliant Bullseye powder, 200 grain cast LSWC bullets by GLC Bullet, and were seated to 1.260" OACL. The only difference was that the first 25 used Winchester large pistol primers, and the second 25 used Wolf large pistol primers. I wanted to see what difference changing from Winchester to Wolf primers would make.

The rounds loaded with Winchester primers averaged 768 fps with a high of 792 and a low of 737 fps. The extreme spread was 55 fps and the standard deviation was 14.

The rounds loaded with Wolf primers averaged 765 fps with a high of 818 and a low of 726 fps. The extreme spread was 92 fps and the standard deviation was 22.

I've included photos of the targets for you to examine. The first target shows the results of the ammo loaded with Winchester primers. The second target shows the results of the ammo loaded with Wolf primers. All rounds were fired from 25 yards. There were no malfunctions. The SR1911 worked perfectly.

IMG_0001a-1.jpg

IMG_0003a.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Just goes to show what I always say ... a consistent chrono load with a small SD is (almost always) an accurate load ....

I bet the brass even fell into a smaller, more consistent area with the Winchester primers.

You should try some 231 with those 200 grain semis ...

REV

Kermit

Bearcat
Scott,

If memory serves correctly the pistol rest I use was manufactured by MTM. It's red in color. I shot at a range provided by the Conservation Commission. The benches are cast concrete mounted on a concrete slab. They are very solid. The target racks are set at measured distances to make it easy.

The Winchester primers did seem to perform better. I have 2,000 of the Wolf primers. For the informal target shooting that I do they'll perform okay. I don't compete so rounds loaded with the Wolf primers will likely perform fine. When they run out I'll probably go back to Winchester.