CDNN 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
CDNN is again offering this $349.99 1911.

Anybody know who makes it? Anybody have one?

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's not RIA ... already looked ... supposedly it's a Regent R100 .... see review below ....

From the review link below ...

"Reliability was one hundred percent. There were no failures or stoppages of any kind. Every cartridge fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. The Regent performed very well with my standard target handload. This load consists of a Rim Rock 200 grain lead SWC atop 5.5 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup powder in a new primed S&W 45 ACP case. This is a moderate load, and a very good general working load for a 1911 pistol. I have only recently started using the Rim Rock bullets, but they seem to be of much higher quality and consistency than the run-of-the-mill gun show bulk bullets. Accuracy with the Rim Rock bullets was excellent, grouping five shots into one and one-quarter inches at twenty-five yards, consistently.

After a century of modern, high-tech weapon design, nothing has come along yet to knock the beloved 1911 from its lofty perch as the top choice of many experienced pistol shooters, and the regent R100 is a good choice for a well-built, affordable 1911. At the time of this writing, the R100 has a suggested retail price under $500 US, which makes it one of the most affordable 1911 pistols on the market.

Not bad for a $350 gun .... I guess you don't even have to spend $600 to get a reliable and good shooting 1911 .....

http://www.gunblast.com/Regent-1911.htm

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-3/index.html

Centerfire systems has the RIA 45 GI for $359, and buds has them for $380 shipped.

REV

whtsmoke

Bearcat
that kind of accuracy from a turkish made gun will put the custom boyus out of bussiness, if you believe some of these reviews.

revhigh

Hawkeye
whtsmoke said:
that kind of accuracy from a turkish made gun will put the custom boyus out of bussiness, if you believe some of these reviews.

Agreed. I've said for years you can get a great 1911 for $500 or less. In this case far less.

My $400 used Springfield kicks a$$

Seems like a good competitor to the rias. Only problem is no 9mm.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
whtsmoke said:
thats if you use the wonderful target load that was posted.

That bullet and powder is known to provide excellent results in 45ACP ... I realize that you were probably kidding, but there can be a big difference in accuracy from different handgun loads. It can easily be the difference between 1.5 inch accuracy and 4 inch accuracy at 25 yards.

Spectacularly accurate recipes are readily available for 45ACP's out of any decent 1911.

If you're shooting the absolute cheapest ammo you can find at Walmart, you're not experiencing the best your 1911 can do.

REV

Chris

Blackhawk
Rev
I thought it was a RIA too, shot the RIA compact yesterday I was quite surprised on the accuracy and the feel. Not to shabby for 375.00

revhigh

Hawkeye
Chris said:
Rev
I thought it was a RIA too, shot the RIA compact yesterday I was quite surprised on the accuracy and the feel. Not to shabby for 375.00

The RIA's are great guns, and the triggers in the last year have been GREATLY improved.

And I MEAN .... GREATLY IMPROVED.

Try one.

REV

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
Chris said:
Rev

The RIA's are great guns, and the triggers in the last year have been GREATLY improved.

And I MEAN .... GREATLY IMPROVED.

Try one.

REV

I've been studying-over various 1911-type platforms for the past 4-5 years and have about decided that everything considered, the "basic" RIA is probably the best bang for the buck amoungst the current crop of clones....and about as close to a "military" 1911A1 as it gets these days.
That aint to say that a Ruger aint a good value too, just saying that I can't see spending exra bucks for features that I don't want.

So far, my only hold up to buying a new RIA has been that I keep hoping to run across a clean used one...or maybe a reasonably-priced Argentine M-1927 instead.
I think that you should know though, that your "talking-up" the newer RIA's is about to push me over the edge. :lol: ....After all, even if I bought one and didn't like it, how much money could a guy possably loose re-selling a $375 gun?....I bet not much.

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
I think that you should know though, that your "talking-up" the newer RIA's is about to push me over the edge. :lol:

We have a company in Easton PA called SARCO that just moved into Easton from NJ (I know ... hard to believe) and they specialize in RIA's. I go in there occasionally to look around and I always handle the RIA 1911's. I've gotten to know the guys pretty well now, and we talk 1911's for a few minutes each time. The owner was telling me how the main complaint with RIA's used to be the trigger .... so they worked on it. BOY DID THEY WORK ON IT. Of about 6 guns that I handled ... I wouldn't have done anything to 4, and the other 2 weren't that bad.

I would try to go to a shop that had multiple of your model in stock and try them all ... picking out the one with the best trigger of the bunch to buy. They're all very good, but every once in a while you'll get one and just go ..... ahhhhhhh .... this is the one. I'm VERY impressed with the RIA's ... not much to look at in terms of ultimate finishing, but a reliable and accurate firearm to say the least. A good project gun or a good gun that you don't have to be worried about putting a nick or two in it.

You'll VERY rarely find them used ... it just makes no sense to sell a $350 1911 used.

When you go in .... be sure to try all the triggers (after asking if it's OK to dry fire a few times) .... they'll always say yes. I dry fire a few times for real, then cock the hammer and release it repeatedly with my thumb between the hammer and the frame, letting the hammer fall just enough so that it can be released ... and it doesn't hurt your thumb. Do this 10 or 20 times and you can get a real good idea of what the trigger's like without letting the hammer fall all the way. Catch it with your thumb right after it releases. Repeatedly doing this while really concentrating on the trigger will let you feel any creep, grittiness, and unpleasantness without dry firing the gun 20 times.

REV

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I ordered a RIA 3 weeks ago from SARCO. Pretty good prices if I ever get the gun :roll: . It would be the 3rd one for me. My two sons now have the other guns.

I read a review on the REGENT done by John Taffin, and it got pretty high marks.

I just received a new American Handgunner today and there is an article titled "Beer Budget 1911's" but I have not read it yet to see what guns they are writing about. Skimming it I saw a Rock and a SA with a few others.

Oh if we could turn back time...we mention cheap 1911's for $350 and I once paid $300 for a brand new series 70 Government Model Colt.

Dan

revhigh

Hawkeye
Congrats on the RIA BM !

Let us know how it is. Sarco has some pretty good internet prices ... unfortunately ... their in-store prices are about $60 higher plus you have to pay PA sales tax.

REV

lark63

Single-Sixer
Mine has arrived at dealer- I checked it out and it looks like it should. Fit and finish above average- tight.
No shooting report as I left it there for my dealer to use it as a display while my other toys come in.

Latest posts