dove tail sizes...adjustable sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchester37

Single-Sixer
ok, does anyone know if the dovetails in the SR1911 slide are a standard size and what, if any, adjustable sights fit them.

thinking a low mount bow-mar style would be a great addition but not able to find info on what would fit. Next stop is MidwayUSA.

Have a Merry Christmas

revhigh

Hawkeye
This is a tough one ... first ... I have no idea what the SR1911 has ... second ... there seem to be as many sight cuts as there are brands of 1911's ... some brands using more than one cut on different guns.

I think the only way to tell for sure is to measure them when you get it. The tech support area of the company may be able to give you the sight cut dimensions as well.

There ARE several 'standard' cuts ... but there's no way to tell which one yours has.

REV

winchester37

Single-Sixer
thanks for the reply revhigh, sent a message to Novak sights since they supply the ones on the sr1911 as issued. they responded that they will have an adjustable sight for these pistols sometime next year.

I will continue and see if Ruger can supply the size of the dove-tail cuts, both front and rear, which would help a lot.

mine shoots fine for windage, after adjustment, but the elevation at 25 yards is way high, 6", with white box military match ball. decent groups for these old eyes but I'd sure like to have some adjustable ones, windage and elevation, to aid the process.

This is a good gun, well worth the wait: 6 months(not unexpected with a new model), and is worthy of some serious use. I've kind of decided that the fit and finish of most new model guns of all manufacture are the result of CNC machining, as opposed to the old hand fitting that was done with most of the older models. A friend of mine is into Remingtons and the R1 seems to be as well buil;t, although I haven't shot one yet(maybe Santa will smile on me?). These new tight tolerances help keep the costs down and make for some really fine guns, and I am really happy with how Ruger has done this model. I have a military built match 45 and several Clark guns and the fit and finish of the Ruger is comparable....maybe in the future I'll see if Clark would be interested in doing a trigger job and accuracy job on one of these Rugers for target use, but for a carry firearm the Ruger shoots good groups and is a bargain( I paid $625 OTD).

The journey of discovery begins.

revhigh

Hawkeye
winchester37 said:
I paid $625 OTD).

The journey of discovery begins.

Please take the POLL on price paid if you haven't already done it !

Thx

REV

forddave

Bearcat
i replaced my front with the fiber optic one from the ruger website and it is stamp novak. it took some fitting to go in. fyi if you go to this fiber optic it fills the entire rear sight notch. i like a little light on each side of the post so i think one of the wide notch rears will be on order very soon.

revhigh

Hawkeye
forddave said:
i like a little light on each side of the post so i think one of the wide notch rears will be on order very soon.

Me too ! I like plain serrated target sights for serious range work.

REV