Would you buy it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would you:

• Buy for $620 each and be happy

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Stick to the $600 he quoted earlier

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Blow him off and wait for $590 from the dealer I trust with no idea of when.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harcypervin

Bearcat
First time poster, but I've been following along for awhile now. Rev, I know you're probably going to have a pretty strong opinion here (seriously, I've started trying to find threads you haven't posted in, it's difficult :wink: ) I'm on a waiting list for a sr1911, and the dealer can't give me any sort of time frame, but his price is $590. Just got off of the phone with another dealer who quoted a friend $600, but when I called he denied that and quoted me $620+tax each.

The $30 difference isn't the end of the world to me, but I'll be buying both of the sr1911's he can get his hands on, which makes an even $60 price jump from a half hour ago when my buddy was at his house. (Yes, he's licensed as a FFL Class 7 Manufacture/dealer, and selling out of his home)

So, RugerForum, what's your take on this? Would you stick to the $600 he quoted, or take it and run?

Thanks

revhigh

Hawkeye
harcypervin said:
Rev, I know you're probably going to have a pretty strong opinion here

If ya want it .... buy it ... who the hell cares what I say ? Seriously. What I say goes for me and nobody else, unless you choose to adopt that position. :D

What's twenty bucks if you're wanting a $600 gun ? 3 percent ? Who cares about $20 if you want something NOW and you don't already have a bunch of 1911's.

My only question would be ... why would you want 2. I have tons of guns, and lots of the same type guns, but I have to say ... I would never want two identical guns ... unless you're gonna try to flip one for a profit and bring down the cost of the other one.

Sorry to ruin your thread by posting in it ... you'll just have to keep looking for another one I guess ... or start one about adding all kinds of crappy 'drop-in' parts to your 1911 ... I won't participate in that one.

REV

harcypervin

Bearcat
Buying one for my dad as well. Should've clarified that. Sorry to take a poke at ya in my first post Rev, as I said, I've been reading, just haven't chimed in until today.

I guess the price jump when I called in bugged me a bit, but so it goes I guess. I told him I'm on a waiting list at $590 and his response was "Well for me to go through the hassle of getting it, I'll want more than that." His attitude turned me off a bit, but then again, its toward the end of the day, and he hasn't met me, may give him another chance tomorrow. I guess I hadn't considered that it was such a huge task to order up a couple guns for an already sold buyer...and even if said buyer backed out, they're selling like crack in the ghetto anyway...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hell if you can ACTUALLY, REALLY, GET them for $620, and you really want them, and don't have any other 1911's to shoot .... what's $30 each ? If I was in that position, I'd buy 'em for $620 each ... in a second ... especially if I could put my grubby little paws on them and then walk out with them.

Me ? ... I don't really care when it comes in ... whenever is fine ... that's why I'm sticking to my guns regarding price. I want it at my price, and I'm perfectly OK waiting for everybody else to get theirs first. Makes no difference to me. It's just another 1911, and I got a bunch of REALLY good ones already. I'm happy to go to the end of the line for as long as it takes.

If I were you ... I'd snap 'em up if your guy can really get them.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
Buy them and run, that is a good price. Lots of people are paying full MSRP, far more than are paying under $600.

As far as how he deals, that is his business, he's free to set the price he wants. My policy is simply to ask the price and pay it without complaining. In the future you may get a better price on stuff, but a dealer will always remember a whiner.

harcypervin

Bearcat
I agree fully. I'm not one to haggle too much on price, especially with a guy running his own business, less of an evil corporation feel to it. Suffice it to say, I'm a motivated buyer, and this will be my first 1911. I've shot a few, along with plenty others, and I loved the 1911's when I could get my hands on em. I like the American made gun, and I like Ruger's. Blackhawks, 10/22's and others have performed exceptionally well for me in the past.

Thanks for the advice guys, and I'll update when I have more information/updates.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I know I've read or heard somewhere that the dealer cost for these was $595.00. If that's true you would be getting it for under dealers cost from that one place. If you can get them for $600 go for it. As far as Rev is concerned, all of us in here try to find threads where he hasn't been or doesn't go. :lol: Just kidding Rev! This forum wouldn't be the same without you. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
I know I've read or heard somewhere that the dealer cost for these was $595.00.

Dealer cost is $535 ... my dealer showed me the sheet ... he added $40 on for profit, which made my cost $575 + 6% tax.

REV

hittman

Staff member
If you gotta gotta gotta have one now ...... that's a mighty small amount of money "extra".

If you're like me and have others to shoot ....... well ...... I can wait and may even wait for some to hit the used market. Eight months now since my name went on "the list" and that $600 I laid back is LONG gone on other Ruger purchases!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
The Wall said:

Dealer cost is $535 ... my dealer showed me the sheet ... he added $40 on for profit, which made my cost $575 + 6% tax.

REV

dealer/distributor cost plus shipping charges - log in and out costs - your friend is selling to you for lunch money on a gun he/she could easily sell in about two days for a 25% margin.

I'd say buy as many guns as you can from that "dealer", he likely won't be in business for long with a 4% margin...

I shop with dealers ten miles from Davidson's, and they cannot get more than a few SR1911's at 535. Each shop here understands the wholesale pricing is going up soon...

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Buy it!
I just paid 639.95 for one and feel lucky I got it at that price.
$620 - BUY IT!!!!
Jim

revhigh

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
dealer/distributor cost plus shipping charges - log in and out costs - your friend is selling to you for lunch money on a gun he/she could easily sell in about two days for a 25% margin.

I'd say buy as many guns as you can from that "dealer", he likely won't be in business for long with a 4% margin.

I've been buying guns from him for 20 years (so he's not likely going out of business because of one SR1911 at a small markup), and transferring guns into him from CDNN and Buds for 10 years. I'm a good customer and he treats me as such.

He charges me $15 for an inbound transfer, and transfers my guns out for free (although I always give him $10 for outbound transfers). He doesn't really deal in new guns, primarily consignment and used, so anybody who wants a gun .... he just orders it in for them at a small markup. I was the first one to ask for one at his store ... he didn't even know it existed. He looked it up and gave me a price ... what's the big deal ?

I'm not the only one to get that price ... Hittman got the same price, and Matt (I_Like_Pie) paid very near that ... I think it was $590. His distributor said 'It would be a while", and I said .... fine ... no problem ... whenever.

I think if somebody did a POLL about what people paid before tax and fees (hint hint) ... you'd find that very few people paid anywhere near MSRP for the SR1911. I think the average from what we've heard here would be about $640-650.

REV

hittman

Staff member
Hey Rev ~ Your store owner and mine are cut from the same cloth. Mine charges $20 incoming and nothing outbound but I too always slip him $10 or so for his trouble.

Recently I referred a couple there who ended up laying out over $1,000 on two used guns. I suspect next time I have a transfer he'll say "on the house". It's worked that way before. We try hard to take care of each other.

And he'll score me an SR1911 whenever he can. No biggie on the wait. I can be mighty patient for $100 to $300.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Recently I referred a couple there who ended up laying out over $1,000 on two used guns. I suspect next time I have a transfer he'll say "on the house". It's worked that way before. We try hard to take care of each other.

LOL !! I didn't even think of that ... I've brought countless new customers in to see him who bought guns as well over the years.

He's more of a friend than a business owner for me, evidently he feels the same way.

I stop in to see him every few weeks and see if he got anything new in.

He's a retired Justice of the Peace and he's open about 3 hours a day (from 3-6) 4 days a week and from 9-12 Sat and Sun.

A really nice old guy.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
You haven't bought it at that price.

And two others who have bought it at that price doesn't come close to the dozens alone on this particular forum who paid in the mid 6s, and the average price on Gunbroker of mid 7s.

Ruger has sold over 10,000 SR1911s in 8 months. Anywhere in the mid 6s is a good price.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Rev, your "LGS" has a hobby business. Nothing wrong with that but not really the same as a full on business. Lucky you! :D

Argue all you want but anyone who has a retail business open what..15 hours a week has a hobby. :wink:

The Wall

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
The Wall said:

REV
Thanks Rev. I wasn't off too far. He would still be getting a good deal. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Rev, your "LGS" has a hobby business. Nothing wrong with that but not really the same as a full on business. Lucky you! :D

Argue all you want but anyone who has a retail business open what..15 hours a week has a hobby. :wink:

I never denied that OR ARGUED IT ... I freely stated where I go and how he works. He likes getting guns into people's hands and that's what he does. You wouldn't believe the loyalty of his customers. There's guys that stop there every single day after work just to see if anything new came in and to shoot the breeze for 15 minutes or so. All these people give him their guns to sell. They tell him what they want out of them, and anything he gets over and above that is his. No haggling, no dickering, no inventory cost. If somebody wants a new gun, he'll order it without a deposit for a known good customer ... just like he did with me. He adds about 10% for his profit or sometimes a fixed amount for a good customer like me.

Hobby ... non-hobby ... big box ... who cares what it's called ... it's a good old fashioned GUN STORE. This is PENNSYLVANIA ... not CHICAGO. It's where I go and have been going for 20 years. It's starting to seem like there's some jealousy going on here now. There's a whole lot of stores just like that by me ... I hate the typical big box gun stores (like Cabelas, Gander Mt, Dicks) ... and the gun stores where the guy has to try to kill you to get by. Everybody always complains about that kind of store ... and now they're complaining about a little guy doing it for fun because he gave me a good deal.

It's a gun store like everybody talks about trying to find ... and now it seems like everybody's criticizing them for the way they do business. :roll:

Sometimes I think some of you guys argue just for the sake of arguing ... it's interesting how NOT ONE PERSON has said ... WOW ... you're lucky to have found such a great store .... NOT ONE (except AIA ... sorry AIA :D). But we DO have people analyzing whether he's selling for 'lunch money', figuring out what his gross profit supposedly is, titling his business a 'hobby business' (as if there's something wrong with that), stating that he's 'cutting his own throat' (whatever THAT means), and predicting he'll be out of business soon.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
He would still be getting a good deal. 8)

Right !! That's EXACTLY what I said in one of my original posts ... I said I thought he should BUY THEM at $620 and take the damn things home.

REV