Would you buy it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Would you:

• Buy for $620 each and be happy

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Stick to the $600 he quoted earlier

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Blow him off and wait for $590 from the dealer I trust with no idea of when.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harcypervin

Bearcat
Well, I'm going to take them, I don't have the Rev's patience, and as I said, its my first 1911.

As an aside, Rev, I thought it was very interesting to hear what the dealer price is on these guns, it's a nice look behind the curtain. Sounds like you have yourself a great (friend) business to channel your business to. I would do the same if I could. Good for you, I dislike the big stores as well.

Thanks for the opinions.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Congratulations harcypervin !!!

Shoot us some pics of the pair when you get them home !

Ya done good !

Check out and participate in the POLL if you get the chance.

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
I'm not jealous (well maybe a little :oops: ) but I've got a nice little LGS down the road that I'm building a relationship with. Not everyone has access to a 1 man hobby business that has low overhead to cover. My LGS has very fair pricing, I think too low in fact, and I tell him that. He doesn't try to steal a trade-in either. Hope he stays around.

You're right about what Ruger firearms sell for compared to MSRP. Look at what LCPs are today...$279 +/- anywhere. MSRP is $373...that's.....75%!! 10/22s same, SR9 at $395 same. No reason when the feeding frenzy clears the 1911 will be the same. 75% of $799 is....oh my!

$599 :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
You're right about what Ruger firearms sell for compared to MSRP. Look at what LCPs are today...$279 +/- anywhere. MSRP is $373...that's.....75%!! 10/22s same, SR9 at $395 same. No reason when the feeding frenzy clears the 1911 will be the same. 75% of $799 is....oh my!

$599 :wink:

Exactly ! That's been the formula since I bought my first GP100 about 15 years ago or so. Back then it was about 70% of MSRP.

It stands for pretty much all the Ruger products from what I've seen ... although I don't know much about the Ruger centerfire rifles ... so that could be different I guess.

Not sure if you were around for the LCP release ... but it was comical. Those who could get them were shooting them and then reselling them for $400-500 ... all the while postulating that the price 'would never come down' .... LOL.

REV

biggameballs

Bearcat
By the way harcypervin is one of the guys that was ordering one for 590 with me. I went to pick up the Sig discussed in another thread from a guy doing FFL transfers out of his house. Out of curiosity I asked him what he could do on a Ruger 1911. He called his guy and said he could have 2 there right away and the FFL told me he'd get me 2 for $600 + tax. I told HP about it and he called the guy right away and said he'd take 2. I thought it was a little shady that he went and jacked up the price $20. It's still a good price though. Since I have my Sig I'll just wait on the original list for $590. It's not about the money though I just cant afford to buy another gun so soon after the Sig and I have done business with the other dealer in the past and like him a lot.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Quote: Blow him off and wait for $590 from the dealer I trust with no idea of when. Quote.
Bullcrap!
This only works if your NOT pushing your years.
You young guys have the time to wait it out.
I want to shoot the S%#t out of it before my grandson gets it.
(Being a Ruger, it'll still be like new)
JMHO :D
Jim

harcypervin

Bearcat
I hear ya Jim, but I'm only 25, so I can wait.

Update: Spoke to this guy again, and he talked himself out of getting my business. The "I can have it next week" turned into "No less than 60 days." When I asked him if he could call his distributor and ask for a general time frame, he made it seem like it wasn't worth his time.

When I mentioned that I had a friend who works for a well known distributor, he seemed to get offended and insinuated that "you might as well have your buddy get it for ya if that's the truth" I corrected him by saying I was just curious as to who he was ordering through and reminded him that without my own FFL, I can't buy from a distributor anyway, and the attitude continued. (Mind you, this is after I told him I'd drop off a check for 50% down on the order, tomorrow)

I'm not sure if I missed something here, but this clown chirped away to my friend yesterday about how he had these guns, practically in hand and would sell them for $600, and would have them ready within a week. An hour later, they were $620, and he was doing me a favor? The next day, when the cash is about to hit the table, it's all of the sudden 60 days and calling his distributor isn't worth his time and he goes on the offensive?

Suffice it to say, this clown isn't even getting a call back. I'd much rather wait and give my money to the dealer (and owner of a fantastic store with great customer service) my money, even if I have to wait a few months. For the life of me, I don't see how $170 (my $1240+tax - dealer price of $1070) isn't worth a couple phone calls for a clearly motivated buyer?

Earlier today, I actually clicked "buy it for $620 and be happy" but now am in the "Blow him off and wait for the better price with the dealer I trust" category.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Well ... given all that CRAP ... I agree .... wait for the ones at $590. Or find other ones in stock for whatever price if you're desperate.

Gun store owners can be such a-holes, which is why I choose to wait for my gun from a really great guy who I've been dealing with for years ... no matter how long it takes.

By the way ... what really happened with this clown .... is the guy spouted off his mouth FIRST ... and acted like he was a priviliged dealer .... and THEN found out he couldn't get the guns anyway. THAT's what happened, is my guess.

He probably won't even be able to get your friend's guns at $600.

Just wait and see.

PS ... just for giggles ... you should have said you REALLY NEEDED THEM, and that you'd pay $799 if he could get them for you by Monday ... it would have been fun to hear him stammer .... hummina hummina hummina (like Jackie Gleason) ... and then said ... nah ... you changed your mind. No thanks.

REV

harcypervin

Bearcat
That would've been fun to watch him squirm. He was also bragging about how he invented a polymer lowered and polymer uppered .410 AR. When my buddy asked if he could take a look at it, "Ahh, I would, but I'd have to dig it out of the back...."

The funny thing is, this guy just lost a bunch of business. The rugers are the hot thing right now, and our group is buying 5 of them....he could have made a nice chunk of change, even at $620, if he had just been a straight-shooter.

At 25, I'm no kid anymore, but I did grow up being shoo'ed out of many gun stores, especially the ones within biking distance from my house. I have very little patience for anyone, in any profession, who doesn't have the patience to speak to me, especially when I'm trying to spend money....unfortunately this is most prevelant in gun stores. Too bad, especially because I do a ton of research before I get to the in-store part of gun buying. Once that happens, I usually walk in with the money already spent, in my mind. It's amazing how quickly some of these guys will lose money, just by having that kind of attitude...

Atec

Bearcat
If it was me I would pay the higher price only because I think its worth it. But then again my top price I would pay for it out the door is 700.00. But trying to get one around here for 700.00 is almost impossible . I am sure it may be well worth the retail price others have paid. I just have a 700.00 limit.