Negligent eject of SR1911 Recoil Spring Plug

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK. Fess up! What other 1911 newbies have had to order a new recoil spring plug for your new SR1911? I just did. After about 25 field strips of my SR1911, I had a negligent eject of mine tonight.

It's somewhere in my family room, but I'm exhausted after tearing everything apart, so I just ordered another. Probably should have gotten two.

I know it's a learning opportunity, but......... :x :roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't have a SR1911, but I can say for sure that you aint the first guy to launch a spring plug out of a 1911.
I doubt that I was either.

DGW

buscadero

Single-Sixer
About 2 months ago I was taking my RIA Tactical apart and my recoil spring plug went somewhere? I don't know exactly where it is, but it's in my loading area someplace. Somewhat like the prison guard that got mugged on duty..... they don't know who did it but they know they got him locked up. :lol:
Jim

GKC

Blackhawk
Well, not a recoil spring...but a magazine spring. Last December, I was putting an extended floor plate on a Glock magazine, and the spring got away from me and launched itself to parts unknown. I was in the kitchen, and I looked everywhere...tops of hutches, cabinets, under everything...no where to be found. So I finally gave up and ordered a new spring. A week or so later, my wife got out her box of Christmas wrap that had been in the family room (which is adjacent to the kitchen) and said, "Hey, what's this?" holding up the missing spring! It had to have flown 30 feet to land in her wrapping box....good thing she wasn't sitting there at the time, it might have hit her.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
I keep a 16-pound pull magnet around for just such an occasion. Like a hand grenade, you just have to get it close and the part comes home.

Unless it's an aluminum or stainless part, of course. . .

I launched the spring plug out of my Kimber once during a CWP class. My wife was leading the class and I was in the back taking it down to pass the parts around for the students to look at. I try hard not to cuss during class but a bad word accidentally slipped out as that plug went whizzing past my temple.

Took me 45 minutes to find it.

I looked like a real "expert" that day, I'll tell you.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Best way to locate a lost part?

Buy a replacement.

BTDT

;)
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. :wink: :lol:

BTW, until the new plug comes in, you can replace it temporarily with a fired .45ACP case. :shock: :shock: :shock: Yes, it actually works, and it sure looks like Saint John Moses Browning designed it that way. :wink:

Tweety Bird said:
That trick with the empty brass will only work with a GI-length guide rod, though.

I found that out. It does allow me to assemble the pistol but I don't think I'll fire it with the .45 ACP case under the bushing. The case is a larger radius than the bushing so the bushing doesn't fully seat. and I don't want to bend or stress it by operating the action under fire.

So I'll wait for my SR1911 part to be safe.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I've launched some other stuff, but not the plug. I guess its only a matter of time. I use the tool so I can just lift it off slowly.

I just about had a nuclear meltdown with my new SP101 today though. I was testing out recoil springs to find one that worked reliably.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
I use the base of a magazine to press the plug while I turn the barrel bushing.

Maybe some day, I'll spend enough time with my guitar to build up the fingertip callouses necessary to do it without tools.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Tweety Bird said:
I use the base of a magazine to press the plug while I turn the barrel bushing.
Yes, Saint John designed the mag base plate to be used as a "bushing wrench," too. Wasn't he magnificent? :wink:

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I use my finger. Just easier for me than the tool the gun came with. Have'nt tried the mag base trick yet. I can see where it would work good.