Well, I gave up!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ctom3

Bearcat
I really wanted an SR1911 to use as my shooter when I decided that I should retire my Remington Rand while it is still in good condition. However the only ones I have seen locally were last summer at a chain here in Houston that wanted $730.00 each for them. I passed and put myself on a couple of waiting lists. They are out of them now, but I was told by more than one of their locations that they will probably kick their price up the next time they get them. No other stores have seen them or have any idea when they will get them.

I happened to drop into a shop in College Station on Black Friday who had a stainless Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for $660 plus extra magazine and box of cheap ball ammo. They were going to throw in free range time, but I didn't have the time for it. Plus, I didn't want to shoot it until I had torn it down to inspect, clean and lube it. So, they discounted it another $10.00. Nice guys. I was also impressed with the young guy that helped me. He was very knowledgeable and eager to help, even though they were really slammed. Kudos to Champion Firearms. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it feels really smooth after cleaning it and 200-300 dry fires.

It is a really close match to the SR1911, except for what appear to be mim versions of mil spec trigger, hammer, slide release and grip safety. While I may have lost a little on those items by going with the SA, I did end up with a forged frame. Besides, I can upgrade those parts pretty inexpensively. It has a trigger lock, but that can be eliminated pretty easily. Like the SR1911, it uses a titanium firing pin, but it is their smaller 9mm. It is not to 1911 specs. However, this is a small thing.

I really wanted the Ruger, but at least I now have a good quality basic 1911 that I can shoot. Besides, there is nothing keeping me from one if price and availability get right.

I have the Springfield Armory 1911 PX9151LP "Loaded" ( http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=3 ) I love this gun. I ordered TWO (2) SR1911s back in June, already bought and paid for "price lock guarantee" Just awaiting for mine to arrive.

Springfield armory makes an outstanding gun! I used to have a Kimber! I still have the Springer, go figure...

[EDIT NOTE]
One of them was ordered for my dad for Father's day and already came in and he has his!

boomer1

Single-Sixer
I have ceased my search to the SR1911. The reality is that Ruger's SR1911 level of production was, and still is, woefully inadequate! I have been on the search for the elusive SR1911 in the Seattle area since the model's release earlier this year, and have yet to even see one!

I wanted to purchase a 1911 model in the year of the centennial anniversary of JMB-designed model adoption by the US Army. I have given up on the Ruger SR1911, and recently purchased a Sig 1911 XO Black pistol. It is a real beauty, made in New Hampshire.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-xo-black.aspx

I have also sent an email to Mike Fifer, CEO of Ruger, expressing my dismay at Ruger's SR1911 production shortfall and my resultant Sig purchase.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Blackmore said:
cowboydave said:
If you get a reply from Mr. Fifer let us know what he says. Thanks
Dave

Good luck with that. I emailed him requesting they sell the export model Gunsite scout rifle (stainless and no flashhider) in this country. Nothing but crickets. :roll:

Yea, I am not holding my breath waiting for a response from Mike Fifer. I fear I would get cyanotic......lol :lol:

YMMV,
boomer

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Check this out--> http://www.gunsamerica.com/992158084/Guns/Pistols/1911-Pistol-Copies/Ruger_SR_1911_45_ACP_Semi_Auto.htm

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
Hazama Yakiba said:
Check this out--> http://www.gunsamerica.com/992158084/Guns/Pistols/1911-Pistol-Copies/Ruger_SR_1911_45_ACP_Semi_Auto.htm

Very low serial # on that SR1911.......

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Boomer1, that SIG is a good looking pistol. Let us know how it shoots.

The add-ons, external extractor, and different slide cut takes it a bit off of standard G.I. spec, the strict traditionalists won't cotton to it... :?

Too bad Ruger couldn't sell you a 1911.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Hey Armed,

Yeah, I am pretty certain that the strict 1911 traditionalists won't care for the mods that SIG made on their 1911 model. But hey, then again, it's my pistol not theirs. I get the distinct impression that my XO will be a real tack-driver. I have done a field strip, clean, lube and a safety/function check on it. I am quite impressed with the fit and finish of Black XO. I am of the understanding that it is all American-made in New Hampshire. I am really looking forward to taking it to the range.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm

I am a Ruger fan. Heck, I own around eight of their firearms. :!: The only service that was ever rendered on any of them was when my venerable P85 was recalled back in the 90's. However, as I see it, the production rollout of the SR1911 should be an embarrassment to the folks in Prescott. :oops: I may buy a SR1911, or any other Ruger product, in the future, hard to say.... :?:

YMMV,
boomer 8)

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Saw one at a show in Allen, Texas today. Unfortunately for me, it was already under a purchaser's arm.

Next time I will be there when the doors open, not 15 minutes later.

HHH

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
boomer1 said:
I am a Ruger fan. Heck, I own around eight of their firearms. :!: The only service that was ever rendered on any of them was when my venerable P85 was recalled back in the 90's. However, as I see it, the production rollout of the SR1911 should be an embarrassment to the folks in Prescott. :oops: I may buy a SR1911, or any other Ruger product, in the future, hard to say.... :?:

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Why should it be an embarrassment??? The gun is a success!!

rsi705

Single-Sixer
H.H. Hipshot said:
Saw one at a show in Allen, Texas today. Unfortunately for me, it was already under a purchaser's arm.

Next time I will be there when the doors open, not 15 minutes later.

HHH

That one in Allen was tagged at $799. When I walked away the purchaser was waiting on the kid helping him who was on the phone talking to the boss finding out if they could come down. Don't know what it ended up going for but I do know it was gone less than 20 minutes after the door opened.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Ruger Packer said:
boomer1 said:

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Why should it be an embarrassment??? The gun is a success!!

I agree with you the gun is a success!!! I wanted one since its release. The production rollout, i.e. production quota, is obviously inadequate, as evidenced by chronic supply shortages since release 7 months ago.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Boomer, I softly suggest you go back thru the historical posts on this matter, allowing more information for you to digest. The SR1911 is not the only firearm that Ruger produces. Further The President has noted they are ramping up production. We don't always get what we want, when we want it........ :roll:

ctom3

Bearcat
I am certainly not in a position to say whether or not there was miscalculation of demand on Ruger's part. There is a delicate balance between development and tooling costs, timing and the need to start seeing some kind of return on investment, even at the cost of knowingly introducing it with an inadequate production rate. Of course, I have no idea of what total start up costs are, but I am willing to assume a couple of generalities. First, there is certain equipment that by necessity of design is dedicated to SR1911 production that also creates a bottleneck in production rate. I assume that it is running at 100% capacity. If that is the case, the only way to get any significant increase in rate would require the investment of 100's of thousands of $ in additional tooling. Then there is the question of whether or not there is floor space and qualified personnel available to install and run it. I would also be willing to assume that they have a superb bunch of product managers and accountants that looked at all of this and decided that they would have to accept the downside of not meeting demand for a year or two. It would be a disaster if they tooled up to meet initial demand, then had to idle 1/2 of it when sales tapered after meeting the initial rush.

Of course, from my side of the fence, I wanted a Ruger, but I know there are a number of very good manufacturers out there and I quit waiting. I also think that the prices will continue to escalate unless somehow supply catches up with demand. Unfortunately for them, that can happen if there are enough others such as myself who decide to quit waiting.

I still want an SR1911, but since I now own the Springfield, getting one will have to be entirely on my terms, and that is pretty cheap.