For those who can't understand the desire for a blue SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Check THIS out ..... not blue ... but close enough to get an idea ....

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=339224

REV

Cholo

Staff member
Somebody just barely beat you to the punch :wink:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=132320&highlight=

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Yes, I posted on the other thread. What a waste of money in my opinion. If Ruger doesn't have what you want just go out and buy from someone else that does. Yes it looks good but so what. Nothing to get excited about. Guns that look like that are a dime a dozen. Did you notice what firing the gun did to the Cerakote. After a few hundred rounds it's not going to look so good. He just de-valued that gun as far as I'm concerned. But to each his own.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
Did you notice what firing the gun did to the Cerakote.

I didn't notice anything other than some powder smudging on the dustcover/front of slide .... do you see something that I don't ?

REV

hittman

Staff member
Looks just like a Range Officer now. High polish it and you'll make it a Taurus.

You guys are gonna fan the flames if you claim all 1911's look alike!

The Wall

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
The Wall said:

I didn't notice anything other than some powder smudging on the dustcover/front of slide .... do you see something that I don't ?

REV
Yes, the so called dust cover and front of slide are starting to discolor. And there appear to be a couple of spots on the slide that Cerakote doesn't look good.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
The Wall said:
Guns that look like that are a dime a dozen.

As are stainless 1911's ...

REV
Exactly my point. So why go to the expense of having that color/finish done to a brand new gun. I would have just went out and got a Springfield Range Officer. 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
revhigh said:
The Wall said:

REV
Yes, the so called dust cover and front of slide are starting to discolor. And there appear to be a couple of spots on the slide that Cerakote doesn't look good.

It's very unlikely that's a cerakote issue. All my 1911's look just like that after 50 or so rounds ... it's probably powder and smoke residue. If it wasn't ... I sure wouldn't be bragging about it and posting pics of it ... especially if I was a gunsmith. THe spot in the middle of the slide looks like he got a little agressive trying to polish off the 'RUGER' letters.

Cerakote is good stuff ... if it's applied properly and the surface was prepped properly ... it DOESN'T COME OFF. Where else did you see an issue, because it looks pretty damn good to me. The only place I saw a potential flaw was the vertical grooving on the front of the grip, and I think that was just the light at which the pic was taken.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Wall said:
revhigh said:
The Wall said:
Guns that look like that are a dime a dozen.

As are stainless 1911's ...

REV
I would have just went out and got a Springfield Range Officer. 8)

Me too .... no doubt about it ... but then it wouldn't be a Ruger .... which seems to matter to most here .... to me ... almost any 1911 is good enough for defense work ... no matter the brand .... when it comes to target/range work ... that's another story. :D

Bottom line ... 1911's are 1911's .... people who say this brand is junk or that brand is junk when it comes to 1911's are fools .... you may prefer a certain brand over another one, but if someone put 10 1911's in your hand from 10 different brands (and you couldn't READ what it said on the slide) .... you couldn't tell the difference .... hell ... you really couldn't tell the difference even if you shot them not knowing which was which.

REV

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
That looks like a major waste of time, effort and money.

The stainless version looks better IMO. And if you want a blued SR1911, just wait for Ruger to make it.

Or go buy one from another manufacturer.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rammerjammer said:
The stainless version looks better IMO. And if you want a blued SR1911, just wait for Ruger to make it.

No need to wait for Ruger to make a blued 1911 ... about a thousand companies already do.

Regarding the cerakoted 1911 .... it is not the same as blued. It's a VERY tough and resilient coating .... far tougher than bluing, and many people don't like stainless for carry because it's so 'bright'.

Lots and lots of people cerakote their guns .... it's available in a bunch of colors, and is tough as nails.

The only reason I pointed it out in my thread was because that first pic on the link shows what a very handsome looking gun the SR1911 would be in 'blue'.

REV

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Hello Rev

Great looking 1911. Very nice finish too. The piece looks more like a real 1911 now. I also like the looks of the new sight, looks like a Heinie. Guess I'm old school. Three years in the military, and the only stainless I saw was down at the mess hall, stuff called silver wear. :lol:

A.W.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It is good looking isn't it, AW ?

I kinda agree ... although the stainless one is good looking too.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
I get the feeling some people are buying 1911s for their looks?

Really?

Hey Sam !

Believe it !!!!

Since 1911's are by definition pretty much exactly the same, many times looks is all that there is to differentiate them. Most people who own many 1911's will buy another one just because it 'strikes' them as unique. Some of those factors can be the color ... the depth of the bluing for example ... or how the grips integrate with the color .... the 'clean-ness' of the gun ... meaning the slide is devoid of superfluous markings ... whether it has things that the buyer doesn't want ... like beavertails, ambidextrous safeties, certain sights, etc.

I've found that 'most' 1911 afficionados go for 'cleaner' looking guns the longer they're into it. Most 1911 newbies are into all the 'extras', whereas most longtime collectors are into cleaner and finer looking weapons. JMO.

Of course this hasn;t even scratched the surface of the functional mods or custom mechanical stuff.

Would you not 'prefer' one or the other of the guns below based on looks ?? Same gun ..... totally different looks ....

sr1911.jpg
[/quote]

OldPictures013.jpg

BlueRuger1911.jpg

REV

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Great contrasting pics Rev, even the stainless looks good by comparison. Couriously, I find it more difficult to make a choice, guess I'll take one of each. :D

A.W.