What makes a Ed Brown, Les Baer, Dan Wesson worth so much?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackbrd1369

Bearcat
Im new to 1911's and I was just wondering what makes these worth so much? I love my SR1911 and I paid 700 for it. These guys guns are $2000 and up. Im just trying to wrap my head around what makes these guns so much better that they are worth that much. Now Im not saying they are not worth the money, I'm just trying to find out what they have that my SR1911 doesn't.

Fender Bender

Bearcat
hand fitting, and things like that. But 2 things, 1 Ed brown and Les Baer are a step above Dan Wesson guns price wise, you'd get some arguments on the quality aspect.

The 2nd thing is does anyone notice just how much the SR1911 looks like the Ed Brown executive elite?

9x19

Hunter
The only similarity is the overall design. Attention to detail, quality of the components, and the care taken in fitting them makes a big difference in price.

Ruger SR-1911
RSR1911l.jpg

Dan Wesson PM9
DWPM92.jpg

.45 ACP
Ed Brown Kobra
EBKSS.jpg

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I really like my SR1911 but the reason my Dan Wesson Valor costs more is no MIM or cast parts/frame/slide, hand fitment and a vice like fitment. Add the mirror polished feed ramp, nightsights, VZ grips all while retaining 100% reliability and its pretty plain to see.

I do believe that once you get past the quality of a 1911 like the Dan Wesson, your paying for finishes, scroll work or borders, crowning, blending, melting and other cosmetic details.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Nakanokalronin said:
I really like my SR1911 but the reason my Dan Wesson Valor costs more is no MIM or cast parts/frame/slide, hand fitment and a vice like fitment. Add the mirror polished feed ramp, nightsights, VZ grips all while retaining 100% reliability and its pretty plain to see.

I do believe that once you get past the quality of a 1911 like the Dan Wesson, your paying for finishes, scroll work or borders, crowning, blending, melting and other cosmetic details.

Thats it in a nutshell!!

hittman

Staff member
The big money "named" guns are status symbols to some people. That's their thing and nothing wrong with it. Just sayin' ......

Snake45

Hawkeye
hittman said:
The big money "named" guns are status symbols to some people. That's their thing and nothing wrong with it. Just sayin' ......
Lotta truth in that. :wink:

9x19

Hunter
Nakanokalronin said:

That's not entirely accurate. As much as I like my Dan Wesson, it is not the equal in terms of fit to my Ed Brown Kobra.

The inability to discern a difference does not mean there isn't one.

I'm quire sure there is a big difference between a Bowen Blackhawk and a rack grade Ruger.

9x19

Hunter
hittman said:

And most of the people who make statements like that can't afford, or have never owned a higher end 1911.

Just sayin'...

Snake45

Hawkeye
The only 1911 I've ever seen go full-auto had just come out of the shop of one of the big-name smiths--with a healthy price tag--and delivered to the paying customer that way. :evil:

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
Nakanokalronin said:

That's not entirely accurate. As much as I like my Dan Wesson, it is not the equal in terms of fit to my Ed Brown Kobra.

I'm quire sure there is a big difference between a Bowen Blackhawk and a rack grade Ruger.

I have one of the newer Valors and after about 3,000 rounds through it,there is no slop and not a single part is loose inside or out. Other DW 1911s or the older Valors might be different but wihen talking about the newer Valors, I'm not sure how tighter the fit can get than solid tight. I've handled plenty of Wilson Combats , Ed Browns, Nighthawk Customs and Les Baers and I've never noticed any tighter tolerances.

revhigh

Hawkeye
9x19 said:

Hi 9X19 !!

Your statement above is certainly true ... HOWEVER .... if you can't USE the differences ... are they worth it ? Most mechanical things can be taken to a higher and higher level ... BUT ... are they worth it ? If I take my bone stock Colt Gold Cup and shoot rings around some guy with is Les Baer or whatever .... is it worth it ? Of course nicer and finer things are generally better, but there comes a point of diminishiing returns.

Kinda like the golfer who shoots 120 but has the exact same set of $3000 clubs that a pro has. Does it make him a better golfer ... NO.

Now don't get me wrong ... if there was a Colt Gold Cup and a tricked out Les Baer, Wilson, or whatever that lists at $2500, and I could have EITHER ONE for $1000 .... I would probably take the Les Baer (if I could shoot it FIRST). Would I actually PAY the extra $1500 for the Baer .... probably not .... unless I could actually determine that it shot THAT MUCH BETTER than my GC ..... and I don't think that I would be able to discern that .... maybe somebody else could ... but I don't think I could.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
9x19 said:
hittman said:

And most of the people who make statements like that can't afford, or have never owned a higher end 1911.

Just sayin'...

I agree, but truly nice custom / semi custom guns aren't for everyone. I like my SR a lot, and I shoot it a lot. Its a lot of gun for the money, but it is not on the same level as my STIs.

9x19

Hunter
revhigh said:
9x19 said:

Hi 9X19 !!

Your statement above is certainly true ... HOWEVER .... if you can't USE the differences ... are they worth it ? Most mechanical things can be taken to a higher and higher level ... BUT ... are they worth it ? If I take my bone stock Colt Gold Cup and shoot rings around some guy with is Les Baer or whatever .... is it worth it ? Of course nicer and finer things are generally better, but there comes a point of diminishiing returns.

Kinda like the golfer who shoots 120 but has the exact same set of $3000 clubs that a pro has. Does it make him a better golfer ... NO.

Now don't get me wrong ... if there was a Colt Gold Cup and a tricked out Les Baer, Wilson, or whatever that lists at $2500, and I could have EITHER ONE for $1000 .... I would probably take the Les Baer (if I could shoot it FIRST). Would I actually PAY the extra $1500 for the Baer .... probably not .... unless I could actually determine that it shot THAT MUCH BETTER than my GC ..... and I don't think that I would be able to discern that .... maybe somebody else could ... but I don't think I could.

REV

"Worth it?" is a whole different discussion from "Is there a difference..."

For me the increased attention to detail makes the Brown worth more than the Dan Wesson. I really can't speak to what others may value.

9x19

Hunter
mattsbox99 said:
9x19 said:
hittman said:

Just sayin'...

I agree, but truly nice custom / semi custom guns aren't for everyone. I like my SR a lot, and I shoot it a lot. Its a lot of gun for the money, but it is not on the same level as my STIs.

I agree whole-heartedly. I have a Springfield Trophy Match that gets shot a lot as well as the DW PM9 and Kimber Team Match. I enjoy all of them.

9x19

Hunter
Nakanokalronin said:
9x19 said:
Nakanokalronin said:

I have one of the newer Valors and after about 3,000 rounds through it,there is no slop and not a single part is loose inside or out. Other DW 1911s or the older Valors might be different but wihen talking about the newer Valors, I'm not sure how tighter the fit can get than solid tight. I've handled plenty of Wilson Combats , Ed Browns, Nighthawk Customs and Les Baers and I've never noticed any tighter tolerances.

Sounds like you've got a very nice Valor.

My PM9 is one of only 50 built this year. It is a high-quality gun and well-built. It still does not compare in overall feel, finish or smoothness to my Kobra.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
Nakanokalronin said:
9x19 said:

Sounds like you've got a very nice Valor.

My PM9 is one of only 50 built this year. It is a high-quality gun and well-built. It still does not compare in overall feel, finish or smoothness to my Kobra.

That is more than likely true. The Valor is DW's flagship model and comes with nothing but barstock, forgings,tool steel and match grade parts. The blending in the rear of the slide/frame/extractor/ejector is as good as any high-end model I've seen. The other DW models have some MIM/cast parts and will not feel the same or have the same amount of detail taken.