Grip bushing replacement.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I got some slim grips for my wifes SR1911 and ordered the stainless thin bushings and grip screws from Ed Brown. When I tried to remove the stock bushings the metal seemed soft. I got them out but the slots were peeled open more. So I go to put the slim bushings in and they won't fit.
It's like they're the wrong thread size. I called Ed Brown and they said that the bushings are an industry standard. So then I go to see if they'll fit on my RIA Tactical. As soon as I put the screwdriver to the bushing slot the slot starts to peel open, so I stopped and bent it back with a pair of needlenose pliers and put my RIA back together. I then had to file smooth the Ruger bushings so I could reinstall the original Ruger grips. Does anyone know if Ruger has their own bushing thread size? Are the bushings that easily damaged? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

buscadero

Single-Sixer
That's just what I did Hawkeye, Ruger is sending me a new set of bushings at no charge. Great customer service.
Jim

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Hopefully you're using gunsmith screwdrivers. The grip screw bushings are one of the places an exact fitting screwdriver is a must. Try getting them started gently with your fingers, if you can't try the eraser on a brand new pencil. Also try rotating backwards until you feel the click of the threads lining up. It's such a fine thread and so easy to mess up. Ruger might have used soft metal in the bushing for a reason. Pretty nice of Ruger to send out new parts.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
buscadero said:
I got some slim grips for my wifes SR1911 and ordered the stainless thin bushings and grip screws from Ed Brown. When I tried to remove the stock bushings the metal seemed soft. I got them out but the slots were peeled open more. So I go to put the slim bushings in and they won't fit.
It's like they're the wrong thread size. I called Ed Brown and they said that the bushings are an industry standard. So then I go to see if they'll fit on my RIA Tactical. As soon as I put the screwdriver to the bushing slot the slot starts to peel open, so I stopped and bent it back with a pair of needlenose pliers and put my RIA back together. I then had to file smooth the Ruger bushings so I could reinstall the original Ruger grips. Does anyone know if Ruger has their own bushing thread size? Are the bushings that easily damaged? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

They make a special screwdriver for these bushings.

http://www.woodgrips.com/t_bar_wrench_bushing_tools.htm

I also installed thinner grips on my SR1911 without any problem fitting. I also damaged one bushing. Then I found out about this wrench. It works great.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Well I got the slim bushings installed, small learning curve there.
The wifes happy with her slim grips (Buffalo Bone). I also installed an Ed Brown short trigger for her. Took around a half hour to fit the trigger. I screwed the slim screws into the new bushings and put them in using a hex driver. The slim bushings fit but they were tight going in, if I tried to just use a screw driver I would have messed them up. The bushings are soft metal so you won't strip the threads in the frame. The slim grips and the short trigger makes it fit the wifes hand much better.
All in all, once you know what your doing and why, it's a piece of cake.
Jim (guess I had a "Tougher" moment)(see below)

The Wall

Single-Sixer
We want to see pictures of the new grips please. And thanks for letting us learn from your mistakes. :)

buscadero

Single-Sixer
The Wall said:
We want to see pictures of the new grips please. And thanks for letting us learn from your mistakes. :)
How do I post pictures? (Tougher moment again, see below)
Jim

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Go here and there are instructions on how to do it.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=6

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I hope this works.
My wifes Ruger with slim bushings, slim screws and slim grips.
Plus a Ed Brown short trigger.
Jim (The Wall, thanks for the photo help)
Three1911s006.jpg
[/img][/url]

buscadero

Single-Sixer
She really likes it, she's going to use it for IDPA instead of her XDm40. She has small hands and short fingers so the short trigger and slim grips made a big difference for her. If your wife shoots a .357 Mag she won't mind the 1911, even the 40 has more muzzle flip. Here on the farm my wifes primary gun is a Ruger Vaquero, 4 5/8" with Stag grips in 45 Colt, worn crossdraw. We've been Cowboy Action shooting since 96 and we're both life members in SASS. The single action is still the "GO TO" gun.
Jim

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
buscadero said:
I hope this works.
My wifes Ruger with slim bushings, slim screws and slim grips.
Plus a Ed Brown short trigger.
Jim (The Wall, thanks for the photo help)
Three1911s006.jpg
[/img][/url]

That is one nice looking 1911. I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoy mine.
Nice job.

NW Shooter

Bearcat
related to thid topic is my experience with the grip screws loosening after 200 rounds twice now. I'm afraid to put too much torque on them even with the proper screwdriver. Should I use a thread lock compound or what?
Lou

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Hi Lou,
Put just a dot of blue locktite on the threads and that should
stop them from loosening up. When I put the bushings back in I put
the screw in the bushing, tighten it up, and then take the screw out.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an extra set of bushings on hand,
they're cheap, under $5 a set of four. Bushings are made of soft metal
and deform very easily. The reason for this is so you won't damage the frame.
Jim

dennie

Bearcat
Recently I was having a problem with one grip screw bushing coming loose on my Colt's Combat Commander. I remembered having some clear finger nail polish that I bought many years ago to seal the thread on fishing pole replacement eyes. It has a small brush in the bottle that makes putting a small dab of polish on the bushing very easy. Has not come loose since, but will be easy to remove if needed. That polish seems to work as well as the blue Loc-Tite on things I have used it on.
dennie