SR1911 with 22 Lr Conversion Units (New Pic added)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've been experimenting with some .22 Lr Uppers on my SR1911. Of the four I have access to, the Advantage Arms, Marvel, and Ciener units work well with groups averaging down around 2" at 25 yds, with Remington, bulk, .22 LR HPs of the Golden Bullet variety. I was unable to get the Colt Conversion to fit on the frame. Here are a some pics of the Ciener, Marvel, and Advantage Arms units. Best Regards, Rodfac

CienerUnit2.jpg

This is Ciener's Conversion Unit, in the "Commander" length; good functioning and it shot to the non-adjustable sights!

RugerMarvel.jpg

This is Marvel's Conversion, the 5" full size model with the first target I shot with it...range 10 yds, Weaver Stance.

RugerAdvantageArms22Unit.jpg

Advantage Arms 22 Conversion...accuracy comparable to the other two, elegant, but pricey. It locks open after last round, the other two do not. The breech block assembly on the Advantage reminds me of a S&W M-41. Also of note: the slide stop is a two part piece...unlike any other 1911 part I have seen. In use, you position the side piece, to depress the locking pin, then insert the cross frame post! The slide notch for the slide stop is hardened steel, the remainder of the slide is aluminum.

RonS

Single-Sixer
Looks like fun and cheap shooting plus it really makes the gun look good, the black controls look much better with a blue slide.

Maybe Ruger will give us a factory two tone down the road.

Snake45

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Maybe Ruger will also give us our own conversion for 22LR.
They might do what others have done and contract Ciener to make them with their own name on them.

Or they might do what still others have done and simply copy the Ciener units.

Meanwhile, if you don't want to wait, you can just buy a Ciener unit and enjoy shooting the snot out of it. :wink:

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
Those groups seem kind of large for the Marvel. Mine is capable of 3/4" 25 yd groups from a rested position, but I have not tried it on the Ruger yet. The test target that came with it had a group you could cover with a dime.

Do you have one of the older models from the 80's, or a newer one? Also, does it perform worse on the Ruger group wise than on other frames you have?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pocketfisherman said:
Those groups seem kind of large for the Marvel. Mine is capable of 3/4" 25 yd groups from a rested position, but I have not tried it on the Ruger yet. The test target that came with it had a group you could cover with a dime.

Do you have one of the older models from the 80's, or a newer one? Also, does it perform worse on the Ruger group wise than on other frames you have?
It's hard to tell from the photo but I THINK that Marvell might be what they call their "Unit 2" or some such, which is pretty much the same thing as a Ciener and shoots pretty much the same way. Their "Unit 1s" have "fixed" barrels and only part of the slide recoils, sort of like a Smith 41.

hittman

Staff member
About how much could one expect to pay for a 22 conversion?

Rodfac

Blackhawk
The Marvel is different than the Ciener...uses a locking recoil rod against the slide stop. For that reason it shoots tighter generally. The entire slide recoils in the same manner as the .45 cal. slide and barrel. The Advantage Arm unit uses a partial slide, similar to a S&W M-41. Accuracy with it was identical to the Marvel and Ciener units.

Accuracy with any .22 is achieved by testing different brands and some cases, lots, of ammunition and matching the gun's preferences. The Remington's shown and tested to date, are the only ones I've tried with any of the units. That Marvel is capable of fine accuracy, dependent only on your ability to see the sights...I'm 65 now, and the two inch groups at 25 yds I have gotten were shot from a sitting positon, gun extended between the knees...Keith's old long range position. Someone who spends a lot of time shooting off bags might do better and too, testing a variety of brands of ammunition will no doubt reveal a better match up...

The group shown was shot from a Weaver stance at 10 yds and was the first magazine full shot with the unit in place...no warm up whatsoever...I was more interested in function than accuracy but was amazed at the cluster nevertheless. I've not bothered to picture some of the 25 yd gps...

Rod

dakota1911

Buckeye
You beat me to it. I was going to try my conversion units on the SR1911 bottom. I have a Kimber unit also. Interesting the Colt ACE does not fit. Mine will not fit on a Kimber bottom and I almost always shoot it on Colt bottoms. On the Marvel they make a cheaper unit and a more expensive and accurate unit (No 2 and 3 if I remember correctly). I have one of the cheaper ones and it is still the most accurate conversion unit I own.

Below is the Marvel unit on a Taurus PT1911 bottom.

g_taurmarv22s_r.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I'm thinking that before I'd spend $200.00-plus to convert a 1911 to shoot .22LR, I'd chuck out $350.00 for a GSG 1911.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Can't speak for the GSG 1911 you mentioned, hitmann, but the three units I tried on mine shot beautifully....accurate enough for NRA Bullseye if you're not in the very highest classifications. Too, by buying a unit like those I described, you get the same trigger and grip configuration which helps with practice. For all intents and purposes, it's the same gun shooting at $.04 per shot vs. $.35 per shot....Rod

shootz

Bearcat
My Marvel look nothing like the ones in this thread. Mine is just like the AA.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
I'm thinking that before I'd spend $200.00-plus to convert a 1911 to shoot .22LR, I'd chuck out $350.00 for a GSG 1911.

I got my GSG with the black plastic grips for $275 ... I really didn't like the cheap looking 'cocobolo' grips that they charged about $50 more for. It shoots great, but not as accurately as the MKII Rugers. But then ... VERY few guns shoot as well as the Ruger MK's ... no matter the series.

It's nice having a totally dedicated .22 1911, and the GSG is the best of the bunch. Here's mine.

IMG_0005-4.jpg

REV

hittman

Staff member
Local store has these for $350.00, brand new, and it sure is tempting!!

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Just a heads-up:

If anyone is considering a Ciener unit, the owner of the company has been arrested for fraud.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=96609&highlight=Ciener

http://news.brevardtimes.com/2011/11/brevard-county-sheriffs-office-raids_04.html

A

Anonymous

I owned a GSG 1911 22lr and did not care for it one bit , the fit and finish were crap, didn't care for the sights, trigger was horrible I know its a 22 but still. I thought it would be a winner since I own a GSG 522 rifle and it has been amazing still after 20,ooo rounds plus. Also, seen more than a couple guys that ended up with cracked slides and frames. I sold it and now am going to get one of the advantage arm conversion kits, hearing nothing but good things about them .

Chef With A Gun

Bearcat
Just got my Advantage Arms 1911-T today and after a clean and lube I installed it on my SR1911 and took to the range. I put 200 rounds through it with not a single hang up. Very happy with it!! Its on target with the sights. No need for adjusting. It will not fit into my Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster with the kit on the frame so you may need to get a soft holster if you're looking to have it on your hip. This is going to make the trips to the range much easier on the ca$h flow! All I can say if you're thinking about getting one scrape the cash together and do it.

316570_2657370478546_1384395745_3151903_292114149_n.jpg

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Chef With A Gun said:
Just got my Advantage Arms 1911-T today and after a clean and lube I installed it on my SR1911 and took to the range. I put 200 rounds through it with not a single hang up.

Hey, No holes in the target!...... 200 rounds? :lol:
Looks great.
Jim