Fiber Optic and Adjustable Rear SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wmgeorge

Bearcat
My SR shoots low for me and I would like a fiber optic for the front. I have found a Novak DFS02-MFO.180 which is lower front but it not marked for the SR only 1911. I have a pretty decent home shop.
This is what I was considering, but it says Mega so how does that work with the stock rear sight?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2191428047/novak-mega-dot-front-sight-1911-novak-cut-075-depth-180-height-125-width-steel-blue-fiber-optic

Or would I just be better off just getting the set off the Ruger store, Novak adjustable rear and stock height Fiber Optic?

wmgeorge

Bearcat
Since my gun was shooting low I decided also to go with a lower front so I ordered from Brownell's a Novak DFS02-FO.180 and in Red fiber optic. The Mega dot sight would require a wider rear or it to be milled wider.

I have a super nice well mounted vise and rubber lined aluminum jaw inserts plus I used blue painters masking tape on the gun. You need a good brass punch and hammer, I saw some pretty stupid videos on You Tube on how to remove and decided to do it the right way. Gun unloaded in vise padded jaws, masking tape. Sight comes out to your right facing the rear of the gun. So you tap on the left side to remove to the right. Be prepared as a LOT of filing with small triangle files on the new sight base is required in spite of it going in a Novak cut and a Novak sight. I had a very small aluminum vise to hold the sight in while I carefully filed.

Trial and error and sooner or later it will fit. It needs to be slightly narrower and some taken off the top of the dovetail. Now a trip to the range is needed to check my work.