SR 1911 Commander 9MM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Was not planning on this purchase but sometimes these things happen. 110 rounds fired today in a wash not far from my house. 100% reliable!

Need recommendations on additional magazines. Brands to avoid or brands to purchase.

9MM 1911 shoots very sweet. Never shot one and I was pleasantly surprised. I was shooting at the side of a wash at rocks and dirt mounds at over 30 yards. Easy hits!

Very happy!

Bill

Terry T

Buckeye
I really like mine!
I've stuck to Ruger magazines and have had no issues.
Took mine to the 4 day Front Sight class - 600 rds. in 4 days - gun ran flawlessly and accurately! Perfect gun for me for that course. :D
Terry T

Danno

Bearcat
Great pistol. Have had mine since last August, I think, don't know how many rounds I've shot through it, but I've sent all different brands, weights, FMJ, JHP. Not a single failure. Very nice trigger and accurate for me.

Only change I've made is to put the Ruger Eaglewings cocobolo grips on it. Looks stunning with the grips. 1911 as art.

hittman

Staff member
There's one of these for sale locally I spotted last weekend. Had never seen one before. They are a dandy looking pistol and seemed much lighter than my standard/regular full size SR1911.

I have read about them but never actually held one before I made my purchase. I made the pleasant mistake of asking the guy behind the counter to let me handle one. That is what sold me. Light and like all 1911's, fit my hand like a glove. I have shot it three times since I brought it home on Sunday. 300 rounds without a single malfunction. Outstanding!

Terry T

Buckeye
For everyday carry, lighter is better, in my opinion.
Weights for Ruger 1911:

Full size - 39 oz.
steel 'commander' - 36.4 oz.
LW 'commander' in .45 acp - 29.3 oz
LW 'commander' in 9mm - 29.3 oz.

So....the 9mm LW 'commander' weights about 3/4 what a full size steel 1911 weighs.
It has a lighter recoil spring and is therefore easier to 'rack the slide'.
I think it also has less felt recoil than the same gun (LW 'Commander') in .45 acp.

(And, no, I don't want to get into a debate about which is the better self defense round - that topic has been beat to death (bad pun) for decades). :shock:

Terry T

hittman

Staff member
Well ..... I bought one of these today. Traded a duplicate (to me) Security Six plus a little cash.

Added bonus was a couple of old surplus steel ammo boxes for $10 each plus a really good deal on Federal 22LR bulk packs that I didn't need. :lol:

hittman

Staff member
Thanks Buckeye Bill ..... hopefully I can shoot mine next weekend. Previous owner had it 5 months and put a whopping 40 rounds through it.

Will try to post a pic and informal range report next weekend.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Thanks Buckeye Bill ..... hopefully I can shoot mine next weekend. Previous owner had it 5 months and put a whopping 40 rounds through it.

Will try to post a pic and informal range report next weekend.

hittman,
I have had several SR1911s in .45ACP, haven't tried the 9 yet. But the only mags I use in
mine are Ruger, or Mec-Gar. I gave an SR1911CMD to my Son in Law, and he loves it. No problems.
An SR1911 to my Grandson to carry on the job. No problems.
And, an SR1911CMD to a LEO friend of mine in Houston, Tx. He carries it on the job too.
I have three SR1911s left, One I carry, and two in the safe. Those two are for a couple of
Great grand kids when they get big enough to shoot them safely.
I would love to buy an SR1911 in 9MM. If only I can convince my wife I paid $10.00 for it. :lol:
I have two other 9MM 1911s, and with my other 9s a grand total of 7 9MMs.
Blackie

hittman

Staff member
Buckeye Bill ....... if you want me to start my own Lightweight Commander thread I'll delete these.
Got mine picked up today. Hopefully can stretch it's legs in the morning.

A9OneYM.jpg

eqHleK8.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Ran about 200 rounds through this gun yesterday.
Wow ..... great gun.
If anybody's seriously thinking of a 1911, I highly recommend this one.

Markbo

Bearcat
I got mine very (very) lightly used. I always wanted a 9mm 1911 and the price was too good to pass on. On looking at pics and immediate inspection I was disappointed it didn't come with front strap checkering as I prefer it on .45s.

Dont need it. :D Shoots great, accurate enough with cheap/plinking ammo and I decide to carry it I'll test it more with SD ammo.

The good news is it really likes the same 147gr load my new PCC likes too. :D