Recently got into 10mm. What 1911 platforms are Top Dog?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well, after straying away from 1911s for several years, I find myself back again. I've recently fallen in love with the wonder called 10mm.

Shooting a G4 Glock 20 and Sig P220-10 has me hooked.

Well I recently acquired another 1911 and have an SR1911 CMD on layaway.

So I must ask, which 1911s are Top Dog in the10mm. arena? Any known plans for Ruger making one?

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
I'm my limited experience, I would say the Colt Delta Elite, and I haven't heard any news of a ruger 10mm. You don't see a whole lot of 10's round here unfortunately.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I don't know if they're Top Dog, but I think worth considering.

Dan Wesson Razorback RZ-10 10MM

Remington 1911 R1 10MM Hunter.

The iconic Smith & Wesson Model 1006 or 1076 10MM.

Ruger - You never know what they will come up with next.

If it were me, I'd want one with adjustable sights. Just saying.

The 10MM cartridge is powerful, interesting, and easy to reload.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I also enjoy the 10MM. Mine however, is not a 1911 at all. I own a S&W 1006. That 3rd gen Smith is one heck of a pistol but, if I find a Delta Elite Colt it will be mine. Whatever you shoot you have to reload that caliber to really bring out its performance.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had a FBI S&W 1076 for EDC for several years, loved it, Colt Commander size, Sig style decocker, carried 9+1 10mm.
With 165gr Doubletap ammo it was a very accurate, reliable and amazingly powerful handgun. I got good at handling it and always passed my annual range certification with high scores.
These days, I have been eyeing the new Rock Island Armory 1911 High Cap model 1911.

The Colt Delta Elite doesn't have a fully supported chamber. Warm loads could be and has been an issue with me. Glock 20 is good too as is the 10 series Smiths. Right now I am into the Kimber Eclipse 1911. I have no experience with the Sig P220 but have heard good things...

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Top dog 10mm in a 1911 platform would be something like a Les Baer, this side of a full custom. But Dan Wesson, Kimber, Sig and many others make nice 10mm pistols.

If I was buying a 10mm, it would likely be a 220 Sig. If I was buying one to look exactly like a traditional 1911, probably an STI Nitro 10

Barry in IN

Bearcat
I've had a few different 10mm guns, but my favorite is my current Delta Elite.

You may read a lot about the Delta having less case head support than some 10mms, but I don't think it's a problem unless you want to load "nuclear" level loads. I've taken mine up to pretty stout levels and it's been OK. You should definitely be OK if staying with published data.

I'm not sure what it tells me, but I have some cases fired from my (now gone) Glock 20 and 29 that have bigger bulges than I've ever seen on Delta-fired cases. It's evident upon comparison that Glock barrels have more case head/web support, so I have to think there is more going on there. Perhaps the Glocks unlock sooner. I don't know. I'm only guessing. Looking at recent test results on a 10mm forum, it looks like DEs will bulge sooner/more, so perhaps Glock made a change of some sort since mine were made.

Anyway, I think the Delta Elite is fine unless you want to push things.

The latest variant of the DE corrects my only real complaint with them. They gave them beavertail grip safetys, which should make it more comfortable to shoot. I like the lack of "improvements" the DE has had up to now (standard guide rod, regular Commander hammer, etc) but think the new grip safety is a actual plus.

I love the 10mm. It's not comparable to the .41 Mag like the old articles used to say, but it does offer a very wide range of performance. That used to be a statement for handloads only, but there is getting to be a lot of choices out there now in factory ammo.

martyj

Blackhawk
I to will have to go with the S&W, although I do use my G20 for hunting just because of point of aim and fits my hand so well.
Eaa makes a hunter with a long barrel and adj sights that is nice also.

hinkruger

Single-Sixer
I looked at several 10mm pistols last year. I love the P220 and probably should have made the purchase but even used it was $1k. Also a Kimber Target 10mm was for sale here that I would have liked to purchase... I went back and forth and ended up with a Rock Island Govt size. $600 new and it is an amazing gun. My P226 and Sig Ultra might be "prettier" guns but I really like the Rock Island. It has been flawless and besides vanity, a never sell.

dakota1911

Buckeye
There is a 10mm forum that has lots of good info on it if you are into 10mm.

http://10mm-firearms.com/

The Colt Delta Elites are nice for around $1K and I think Colt introduced one with a rail at the SHOT show. In 1911 land DW makes and has made several models (for folk buying used) in 10mm. I looked at one of their new Bruins in a LGS a couple months ago and it has a 6 inch slide/barrel but $2K is sort a lot to me. Lovely looking pistol though. I have a DW Classic made in 2009 I found barely used in a LGS in 2011 for $1K. DW uses a ramped barrel in this.

Not the most expensive but I am happy that Remington is going to continue to make their version of the old Para LE Hunter. It will have a 6 inch barrel/slide with a ramped barrel, plus adjustable sights. Like the Colt it will have the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety in it. I think the MSRP on it is around $1.3K.

It would surprise me if Ruger makes a 10mm in their SR1911 line, but maybe. I would be extremely happy if they would come out with a new convertible SA revolver in 10mm/40S&W.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
The Kimber Camp Guard 10 is pretty good too. 5" barrel, blued slide, night sights, polished lightweight bobbed frame with checkered front strap. I like mine!

BB45C

sliclee

Single-Sixer
:shock: I fired 6 Corbon 180.s :wink: from my new Colt Delta Elite. :wink:
:wink: I fired 4 more faster ones
:p I let go 5 165.s at 1445
:) I started to get bored with my 200 grain
:D 5 180 at 1400
MY DELTA SUPPORTS 99% OF THE CASE WHEN DROPPED IN CHAMBER. I DONT KNOW
ABOUT ANY OTHER. THE UPSWEPT BEAVERTAIL IS FUNNY LOOKING BUT CLAMPS MY
HAND TIGHT, AFTER EACH USE I SLOWLY STONE IT DOWN AND NARROW IT.
GLAD I DONT HAVE A BUMP ON THE SAFETY AND WILL PROBABLY CHANGE THE
HAMMER.
I GET ONE INCH WITH WINNYS AND CORBONS AND HAND LOAD LEAD 180.S BH 18-20
MY SERIAL NUMBER IS DSXXXXXE. LETS COMPARE #.s only print x's
Good shooting Lee

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Look up HICKOCK 45. HE HAS SHOT ALL the new 10mm's for the last 3 years. Now all the new ones, you can watch on YOUTUBE.
Yesterday I watched the comparison of the 2 GLOCKS in 10mm with the Delta Elite.He was using HOT AMMO as well as range ammo
which he tells you not to use if your not ready. The FEDERAL BONDED 10mm 180 grain at 1280. Over and over with GLOCK
and Colt Delta Elite, the pre 2008 and newer ones. Also shoots the SIG. 10. Watch and make your own opinion no one else.
The Delta 10 mm tests areal over youtube. Watch and learn.