El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I just picked up one of these to use with my full size SR1911. Nice rig, plenty of adjustment to fit a big guy like me. Very secure and comfortable way to carry the 1911. I won it in an Ebay auction new in package for $85 and free shipping, $20+ less than I had seen them selling for online.
I got to the point that wearing it on my hip in my Askins Avenger holster was not that comfortable and I was having to cinch my belt so tight to keep it from pulling down my pants I was getting chaffed around my waist, especially in hot weather I think this will be much better out in the woods or driving

I am thinking about having a leather craftsman I know make me a spare magazine carrier to attach to the holster with snaps so it can be taken off as needed.
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-154-14-1942-tanker-holster-3-to-5-barrels.aspx

DGW1949

Hunter
Don Lovel said:
last night a friend of mine who was a Tank guy in Vietnam showed me all the different ways to carry with it. Pretty versatile rig

Yes they are.
I did away with the chest strap on my USGI version so I could use it as a more-conventional "shoulder holster". Plus, it works just as well with my BHP's as it does with my 1911A1...and for those who might not know, it also does fine for carrying a "Colt sized" SA revolver.

DGW

Danno

Bearcat
Don Lovel said:
last night a friend of mine who was a Tank guy in Vietnam showed me all the different ways to carry with it. Pretty versatile rig

Don...you post has made me curious. I wonder if you could describe some of the variations.

I have a tanker rig I use for my S&W model 10-5, pretty much a bandolier across the chest style with the belt loop.

Thanks

Dan

Don Lovel

Hunter
Danno said:
Don Lovel said:

Don...you post has made me curious. I wonder if you could describe some of the variations.

I have a tanker rig I use for my S&W model 10-5, pretty much a bandolier across the chest style with the belt loop.

Thanks

Dan

Under the right arm and out of the way back next to right kidney, or you can try running a small width belt through the tie down strap on the bottom and there is a way to wear it upside down so the muzzle goes at an upward angle pointed out of the back of your armpit. I have tried it but need a different belt to make it feel better.
He showed me how to make it hang for small of the back with butt to either side also which he said came in real handy for when you need to belly crawl in mud.
I think with a belt loop added, it might work well for a thigh carry too.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Danno said:
Thanks, Don. Actually seems that wearing it as intended is the best option. I was just curious.
Yeah I find that either left or right side works pretty good. I got this holster to have a break from distressing my waistline and having to wear extra suspenders to keep my pants from falling down when carrying the 1911 and a spare 8rnd mag.

Danno

Bearcat
Don....even as intended, the Tanker makes a fine field holster. Doesn't interfere much with a day pack, doesn't snag on branches, and still allows good accessibility. Certainly not much for concealed carry but damn handy nonetheless.

Dan

Don Lovel

Hunter
Danno said:
Don....even as intended, the Tanker makes a fine field holster. Doesn't interfere much with a day pack, doesn't snag on branches, and still allows good accessibility. Certainly not much for concealed carry but damn handy nonetheless.

Dan
and looks cool as hell too, El Paso Saddlery does great work

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Those are nice rigs Don. El Paso does beautiful work, but I went cheap on mine, from these guys.
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/holsters.aspx
Seems a little lighter weight leather than the one I had in '68. but since I mainly wanted it for a pattern for one I am making for my wife's gun, I don't mind. It works for both our 4-5/8" Blackhawks, and my 1911 so that's a bonus. They have both the M3 and M7 configurations too. Some pretty interesting stuff on there. These make great bowhunting rigs, if you can carry a gun during bow season there as we can here.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Always kicked around getting one of those.
I have 4 El Paso holsters & a cartridge belt, definitely top of the line.