SR 1911 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chowser51

Bearcat
I am mostly having no issues with dummy rounds and the CMC mag. It hangs up once in a while.
I loaded up the factory mags and the CMC with Freedom Munitions 147gr RN FMJ rounds and will try to test those out.
This isn't going to be a carry gun (not allowed to carry 1911s due to some old policy) but I still want it 100% for a home gun.

I'll have to try a different kind of JHP round later, but I want to get this thing running with FMJs first. I'm trying not to polish the feedramp since the factory mags work just fine with FMJs and JHPs.

I stuck wood grips and a magwell on it, feels much better.

I have 24/7 access to our range at work :mrgreen:

IMG_1911_zpsmzxowk9h.jpg

paul105

Single-Sixer
Had the LW CMD 9mm a couple of times over the last week.

Second time out (1st time this week), I shot 32 rounds of handloads (6.4gr Power Pistol, 115gr Zero JHP, S&B 1x brass). Was checking point of impact on a freshly painted popper at 25 yds. Shot three rounds with my forearms rested on the gear bench that you could have covered with a half dollar about 3.5" high and dead center windage. I know more shots would have easily opened up the group but I'll check on paper another time. Towards the end of the session, I had a couple of failures to go completely into battery -- it took a nudge on the back of the slide to fully seat the round.

Next day:

I had been experiencing a noticeable hitch in the forward movement of the slide when manually cycling the gun. Thought this might be contributing to "failure to completely go into battery".

I took the gun apart and replaced the factory connector and sear with parts that had been polished as part of an action job on another gun. Also replaced the factory sear spring with one from Cyl and Slide Shop. Didn't change the factory hammer.

Slide cyclying was signifcantly smoother with no "hitch" and the trigger pull was reduced from 4.5 Lbs to 3.0 Lbs measured with my RCBS trigger gage.

Shot 95 rounds of PMC 115gr Factory, Federal 124gr Factory and some mixed handloads without a hitch. Even intentionally limp wristed the gun to see if I could induce a malfunction - gun didn't miss a beat. I still need to put this gun on paper, but it sure seems more accurate than I anticipated.

One last question -- has anyone tested the thumb safety by pulling the trigger, with the safety engaged (EMPTY GUN OF COURSE) then releasing the trigger and disengaging the thumb safety -- my hammer drops every time (the half cock notch catches the hammer, but this still shouldn't happen). New Colt thumb safety ordered and will replace the factory one when it arrives.

FWIW,

Paul

chowser51

Bearcat
I tried to do the thumb safety thing. Nothing happened with mine. I forgot to bring it to work tonight to shoot it more. I'll try tomorrow night. I got some different ammo in to test the CMC mag. The gun works perfectly with factory mags b

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
paul105 said:
One last question -- has anyone tested the thumb safety by pulling the trigger, with the safety engaged (EMPTY GUN OF COURSE) then releasing the trigger and disengaging the thumb safety -- my hammer drops every time ...
yikes.gif

paul105 said:
New Colt thumb safety ordered and will replace the factory one when it arrives.
I'm sure you'd rather not deal with doing this, but, IMO it would be far better to send it back to Ruger for them to determine what went wrong to allow such a thing to get past QC.

Maybe yours is the only SR1911 LW 9mm in the whole world that has this defect, and the only one that ever will. OTOH: Maybe it reflects a production problem and it's not the only one.

At least report it to Ruger.

Danno

Bearcat
Took the new 9mm Ruger 1911 for its maiden voyage this morning. Out early to avoid the coming rain.

Function was flawless. Not a single hiccup, no failures to load, fire, extract or eject. Very smooth operation, no apparent hitches and the trigger is crisp. Very crisp. Damn crisp!

Put about 150 rounds down range: Perfecta 115gr FMJ, Blazer 124gr FMJ and Monarch 124gr hollow points. 100% through both of the factory mags. Only issue at all was wrestling rounds 8 and 9 into the mags.

Accuracy at 10 yards was very good for me. Almost all rounds on a 6 inch splatter target. Most rounds seemed a little left. In looking at the rear sight, it's slightly off center to the left. May shoot a bunch more before I try to move it over a hair.

I have to say, running 9mm out of a 1911 frame is wonderful. Felt recoil is great and, honestly, I prefer the crack of the 9 to the boom of the 45.

The pistol itself is good looking and, like all 1911s, a natural pointer. The mags, even full, seat with authority and release effortlessly. I like the feel of the hard rubber grips but will look for some wood panels just for grins. I think a reddish tone would look great against the black and gray of the frame and the sorta matte stainless of the slide.

All told, it's everything I thought it would be. Couldn't be more pleased.

paul105

Single-Sixer
Prefer the minimal profile of the Colt safety. Would have recontoured the Ruger safety but felt it was easier to replace with the Colt. When OEM problem discovered, Colt safety replacement was a no brainer. Colt safety came in the mail today. Installed, hammer drop problem solved.

Paul

chowser51

Bearcat
Ok, I give up trying to get the CMC mag to work with this gun, just going to sell it and try MecGar or Metalform 10 rounders.

This is what it does when trying to load
CC1099F1-051A-4388-9369-49BCE8AF3A69_zpsm5dvs7sd.jpeg

I'm sure it works fine with other 9mm 1911s. Just not the Ruger.
My CMC extended mag in .45 works perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Orc6bSWaq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HMbmjKRa6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJnEa6sgBUc

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
I am mostly having no issues with dummy rounds and the CMC mag. It hangs up once in a while.
I loaded up the factory mags and the CMC with Freedom Munitions 147gr RN FMJ rounds and will try to test those out.
This isn't going to be a carry gun (not allowed to carry 1911s due to some old policy) but I still want it 100% for a home gun.

I'll have to try a different kind of JHP round later, but I want to get this thing running with FMJs first. I'm trying not to polish the feedramp since the factory mags work just fine with FMJs and JHPs.

I stuck wood grips and a magwell on it, feels much better.

I have 24/7 access to our range at work :mrgreen:

IMG_1911_zpsmzxowk9h.jpg
Please keep us posted. I wish I had other magazines to try. I like those wood grips. I have Pachmayrs on 3 of my SR1911's. I might get another pair for this one that way they all have the same feel.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
Ok, I give up trying to get the CMC mag to work with this gun, just going to sell it and try MecGar or Metalform 10 rounders.

This is what it does when trying to load
CC1099F1-051A-4388-9369-49BCE8AF3A69_zpsm5dvs7sd.jpeg

I'm sure it works fine with other 9mm 1911s. Just not the Ruger.
My CMC extended mag in .45 works perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Orc6bSWaq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HMbmjKRa6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJnEa6sgBUc

I see why you aren't going to fool around with the CMC mags. None of the factory mags I had did that and they fed okay accept for 2 of the 6 releasing a 2nd round while chambering the first round. It might have been alright loading less then the max 9. I thought about getting a couple CMC's but after seeing that I might put that idea on hold for awhile.

chowser51

Bearcat
Quick range report.

Wilson Combat 10 round mag:

50 rounds Winchester 147gr FMJ
50 rounds Freedom Munitions American Steel 115gr FMJ
50 rounds Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP T-series

No issues.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I do not have a Ruger 1911 in 9MM yet but I have a Kimber CDP 11 in 9MM. As far as I am concerned Kimber 9MM magazines looked like they were made from a galvanized bucket. I replaced with Wilsons and have not any problems since. I used Wilson in my Ruger 45 ACP 1911, also.

lostdog

Bearcat
Hello, I've only seem 2 9mm 1911 ruger's , the side to frame fit [at rear] was like 5 to 10 thousands side play. How has they been for my friends here ? In worried that accuracy will get worst after a few thousand rounds ? replies welcome .....

paul105

Single-Sixer
Here are some random thoughts on accuracy/durability of the Ruger SR1911 Lightweights.

Jeff Quinn at Gunblast reviewed the Ruger LW 9mm – here are his comments on accuracy. http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD-9A.htm

"Accuracy was tested with the pistol secured into my Ransom Master Series machine rest. Five-shot groups were fired on paper at a distance of twenty-five yards, with satisfying results. Sig-Sauer hollowpoint ammo turned in the best accuracy, with groups measuring a consistent one and three-quarters inches, with most other ammo grouping into two and one-half inches. CCI Blazer Brass recorded the largest groups, in the four-inch range."

Jeff makes his living testing guns/ammo and has access to a lot of different ammunition that can be used to test an individual gun's ammo preference. Example – above most accurate ammo was "Sig-Sauer" HP, not something I see every day. Also, that same ammo may not (most likely won't) give the same result different gun.

I would be ecstatic if I could find ammo that would consistently give 1 ¾" 25yd results from my 9mm LW.

Best I've been able to achieve is in the 2.5" neighborhood. Now I don't have a Ransom Rest, and my shooting is hampered by old eyes, trigger control is hit and miss (pun intended) and I have good days and bad days. So for me, it can be somewhat of a crapshoot on any given day.

I contacted KC at http://kcskustomcreations.com/ about accurizing (1.5" at 25 yds) my Ruger SR 1911 CMD Lightweight in .45 ACP (not the 9mm mentioned above). His opinion was that it could be done but that accuracy would not hold up over time due to materials/light weight.

What I'm getting at is the Ruger 1911 LW 9mm is a lightweight, alloy framed, budget defensive pistol that shouldn't be expected to be as accurate or durable as a steel framed Les Baer or equivalent. In addition, individual guns will exhibit totally different levels of accuracy -- what you get is totally the luck of the draw.

With all that said, I have both 9mm and 45 ACP SR1911 LW CMDs and really like them. I don't expect them to be as accurate as my Les Baer nor do I expect them to hold up as well. I won't worry about durability and will shoot them until they need a tune up and enjoy them for what they are – A TON OF FUN.

Paul

chowser51

Bearcat
I'm not at 500 rounds yet but it's damn accurate enough right now that I can hit 1" squares consistently from 7ft to 15ft.

I'll report back after I hit a thousand rounds. Waiting for more mags and more ammo. I just ordered 4 cases of ammo of 124gr ammo to try. I currently have 115 and 147. Figured I'd try different stuff to really break the gun in.

Danno

Bearcat
Chowser....good luck with your testing. While I haven't run 147gr through mine, I have run cheap 115 gr Perfecta from Walmart and 124 gr Blazer aluminum case through mine. Also some 124 gr Monarch hollow points.

Totally subjective on my part, but I think it's a little more accurate with the 124 gr bullets. Could just be that the Blazer aluminum case and Monarch are more consistent than the Perfecta. Still, at the distance I've been shooting, 10 yards, the pistol seems inherently accurate.

Haven't tried a 50 yard gong shot yet.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
Quick range report.

Wilson Combat 10 round mag:

50 rounds Winchester 147gr FMJ
50 rounds Freedom Munitions American Steel 115gr FMJ
50 rounds Winchester Ranger 124gr +P JHP T-series

No issues.

Thanks for the report. I haven't been able to get back to the range and try mine since I got it back. Hopefully soon I'll be able to go. I have a few different brands of factory 9mm and some of my copper plated Berry bullets loaded up.
I've been having medical issues trying to get around which has pretty much stopped my range time.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I just ordered 3 of the Gov't 1911 9mm 10 rnd Wilson Stainless Combat Elite Tactical magazines w/base pad from Midway.They are proud of them @ 39.99 ea

I should have them in a few days or so using their Nitro Express shipping. That wasn't to bad 4.99 shipping. Every Promo code I found when I tried to apply it said invalid.

chowser51

Bearcat
I ordered another Wilson mag and two Mec-Gar 9 round mags from Greg Cote on Monday. Got them today. I'll run a few boxes through these when I get to work tonight. If I have issues, I'll report back. Still no word from CMC yet on the mag I sent back. I'll pick up two of the 10 round Mec-Gars when Greg gets them back in stock. Someone else can test Tripp mags. I'm going broke buying ammo :)

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
chowser51 said:
I ordered another Wilson mag and two Mec-Gar 9 round mags from Greg Cote on Monday. Got them today. I'll run a few boxes through these when I get to work tonight. If I have issues, I'll report back. Still no word from CMC yet on the mag I sent back. I'll pick up two of the 10 round Mec-Gars when Greg gets them back in stock. Someone else can test Tripp mags. I'm going broke buying ammo :)

Good deal, I'll do the same when I get the Wilson mags and get to the range. I'll keep an eye open for other mags for it. I haven't tried the 5&6 replacement Checkmate mags yet. To be honest I'm really not putting much faith in them after getting 4 bad ones in a row.Just as I was going to post this Midway sent me a email that my order shipped.