sight dovetail questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mopar

Bearcat
I know very little about sights. On my SR1911CMD, I would like to install night sights. I know the size of the dovetail are different than my Kimbers. Are the dovetails common size with any other pistol? I have looked at a couple of sights and don't see the SR1911 listed.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Novac sights require the rear sight base be machined to accept them. I don't know of any drop in night sights.

mopar

Bearcat
So if I understand this, the Novak sights all have the same dovetail unless it states for a specific pistol. I guess what I'm asking is when it says Novak sights are they talking about the dovetail mounting or type of sight profile.

LEDW

Bearcat
Here's a few...
https://dawsonprecision.com/ruger-sr1911-carry-fixed-tritium-rear-sights/

http://www.heinie.com/3007p-ruger-1911-slntpro-straight-eight-night-sight-set/

I went with the Heinie. I've never focused on the dots of those pistols I have with them. The straight eight config. was no problem for me and show up nicely in low/no light.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
The front is a dovetail dia .330" X 65 degree angle.
The rear is a standard Novak Lo Mount which has a dovetail dia .500" X 65 degree angle plus the flat behind the dovetail.
Lots of sights available that will work.

LEDW

Bearcat
Not all Novak cut sites will fit the SR1911 w/o some alteration owing to the height of the top edge radius of the SR1911 slide. This is unique to this pistol. Trimming the bottom edge of a front site blade containing a nite site is not recommended. Limit you search to sites specific to the SR1911.

ns_redneck

Bearcat
bsnake said:
The front is a dovetail dia .330" X 65 degree angle.
The rear is a standard Novak Lo Mount which has a dovetail dia .500" X 65 degree angle plus the flat behind the dovetail.
Lots of sights available that will work.

sorry to bring back an old thread but I am having a hard time finding sights here in Canada to fit my commander series sr1911. but do you know if those dovetail measurements are the same for the comander

bsnake

Single-Sixer
ns_redneck said:
sorry to bring back an old thread but I am having a hard time finding sights here in Canada to fit my commander series sr1911. but do you know if those dovetail measurements are the same for the comander
I don't have a Commander to measure, but looking at pics on Rugers website of both size pistols side by side, they "appear" the same.
Also looking at Ruger's spec sheets for both pistols the sights are called out the same.
Hope this helps.

ns_redneck

Bearcat
bsnake said:
ns_redneck said:
I don't have a Commander to measure, but looking at pics on Rugers website of both size pistols side by side, they "appear" the same.
Also looking at Ruger's spec sheets for both pistols the sights are called out the same.
Hope this helps.

thanks man. my gun shop is ordering me some truglos for it now,