RUGER 1911 LIGHT WEIGHT COMMANDER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prowler

Single-Sixer
I just received Ruger 1911 L.W Commander today for the range gun, I did shoot about 5 rounds through and love this pistol everytime I did pulled the trigger, very accurate and not much recoil like other commander size I have shot.

Anybody have one yet? What do you think? :D

loaded round

Hunter
Have had one since early January. One of the best firearms that Ruger produced in my opinion. I'd buy a second one in a minute if they came out the same pistol in 9 Super.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
loaded round said:
One of my senior moments again. Meant 38 Super. :?

WIL TERRY said:
9 Super...??
You have those too huh ?? Thank God it is just not me !
I am expecting my new Custom Ruger 1911A1 45ACP anyday now. Might be there as we speak actually....GOTTA GO....gonna call 'em now...
And so it goes...

dakota1911

Buckeye
Picture of mine with the other CMDs.

It was very dry when I first got it and field stripped it. I thought a shot of the Titanium insert in the feed ramp would be neat.

They also groove the front of the frame. Here it is compared to a Colt Gold Cup in the middle and a about 2005 S&W LW Commander on the right.

Anyway the fit and finish looks great and I will have more time to play with it in the following weekends.

FPrice

Bearcat
My LGS got one in today and it was immediately grabbed by one of the regulars. He did let me hold it and I was impressed. Nice feel and the trigger seemed good, imagine it will only get better with use. All good.

EXCEPT...

The half dozen vertical grooves in the front of the grip. WAY too sharp for my thinking. I am sure they will help anchor the gun in your hand when your hands are sweaty, dirty, or bloody. But I think after 100-200 rounds on a normal day, your fingers will be bloody. The grooves in my Combat Commander models are not nearly as sharp. The pictures that dakota1911 posted a few replies up clearly show the difference.

I still want one but will have to think about what to do about these grooves.

loaded round

Hunter
Most normal men's hands won't be affected by the grooves on the LWT- CDR. If you have ''soft as silk'' hands, any good gunsmith could rectify them for you.

pastorp

Bearcat
I'd be up for one in 38 super too. I actually was considering sending mine out to have a super barrel, bushing, & mag fitted to it.

But it shoots so good as a 45 I don't want to mess with it.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
When I saw the titanium insert I realized Ruger had just made the best Lightweight Commander ever. Leave it to Ruger to improve something dozens of other companies have been lazily copying forever. Who will be next to offer the harder feed ramp?