slide stop/release stiff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakota1911

Buckeye
Releasing the slide with an empty mag is going to be hard on a LOT of 1911s. Playing with different mags and the slide stop will bring you to happiness.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
DGW explained it...twice.

When the magazine is empty, the spring is pushing up on the stop. That's why it's hard when the magazine is empty and easy when it's loaded or when the magazine isn't locked into the gun.

And the notion that it's not a slide release is ludicrous. Why does it protrude from the side of the frame AND have serrations or checkering if it's not meant to be used to release the slide?

Actually...not counting takedown...the slidestop has five functions.

It's a slidestop that keeps the slide from flying off the frame when it runs forward.

It's a slide lock that holds the slide open when the magazine is empty.

It's a slide release used to chamber a round after a fresh magazine is inserted.

It's a camming surface that lifts the barrel into the slide

It's an anchor for the link to pull the barrel back out of the slide when the slide recoils.

zippo9

Bearcat
DGW:
I was wondering the same thing. Understand your explanation and appreciate it. Now I have to find something else to worry about.
Thanks

wayned

Bearcat
maybe mine will smooth out after some extensive use. I don't shoot THAT much to smooth it out in short order. All the 1911's I've owned before were used, so they may have been "broken in".

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Observe-observe carefully the distance the slide travels forward to chamber a new round and strength of it while using the slide lock, observe the distance and strength of the slide lock chambering a round when pulling the slide all the way to the rear and letting go. Maybe not strong enough to fully seat a new round in chamber using slide lock.

Latest posts