Question about break in...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kokuasan

Bearcat
Hey all. I'd like to say hello as I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

Let me start by saying: I owne a few Rugers and have for many years now. My first was a single-six, which hooked me into pistols AND Ruger, over 28 years ago. Yesterday I picked up my first 1911; an sr1911 CMD. While I've shot a few 1911's in my day, I've never owned one before. I've stripped it and cleaned it up good. Bought two 8 round Mec-Gar magazines and one 10 round Wilson Combat magazine. 4 boxes of Magtech ball ammo and 2 boxes of Blazer Brass both 230 gr.

My question (s): What can I expect during the break in of my new toy? What can I expect out of the sr1911 in general? Any helpful hints or suggestions? How do you all like your pistols?

Thank you all in advance.

I've found all of Ruger's 1911's loose enough from the factory to be considered already broken in.

I've shot quite a few different Ruger 1911's and they all have operated and shot perfectly. I am pleased with them.

Just go shoot it, clean it, and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum!

WAYNO.

oscar

Bearcat
I had trouble with mine the first time I shot it. I had oiled the frame and slide, but it was not adequate. The next day I greased the rails and it has worked fine ever since. I am now using RIG on all of my autos.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my CMD was pretty tight. took a couple hundred to stop the occasional hiccup. after that outstanding. she likes a burn rate powder around Unique, Autocomp, AA#5. also 230 grain bullet seems to work better. faster powder and lighter bullet less good. will try a slower powder and 200 grain bullet one of these days, next time I get a good deal on lighter bullets. dollar for dollar this is a fine pistol. shoots as well as my Kimbers, and better than the Springers I once owned.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I started almost twenty years ago with my process. I do a detail strip, clean,
and oil, except for the rails. The rails I use a needle oiler to get a small amount
of oil on the rails. I then spend time in front of the TV (commercials) and
hand cycle the slide 150 times. Next commercial I field strip, clean the
slide and rails, needle oiler time again. Do that for 450 or more cycles. The
last set I do a better job of oiling.

The next day I head for the range.

Since I started that process, I've yet to have a feed/function problem with
any new 1911. You accomplish the same thing as shooting it, WITHOUT
any of the frustration, and at a MUCH lower cost. 8)

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
In over fifty years of shooting Rugers of ALL types None---NADA--ZIPPO-- ever needed any kind of a " breakin." NO machinery correctly made really needs any kind of a break-in. Hellesbelles, they put brand new engines in NASCAR racers and go run 'em to the firewall from the gitgo, wide open let her rip !!!
OH...and all the stuff about "breaking in " rifle BBLS is also a huge pile of balogna.
And so it goes...

dakota1911

Buckeye
I am up to 3 of the SR1911CMD line. I do field strip, inspect, clean, and lube before I shoot the first time. I start with 230gr usually Winchester FMJ. So far all of mine have run 100% from round 1. The one on the top is a regular CMD I bought in Jan 2013. It has been really great over the years with hand loads in 200gr cast SWC and some other loads.

Don Lovel

Hunter
The day I bought my Ruger SR 1911, I shot 200rnds of Winchester 230gr white box ball, then shot one box each of CorBon 185+p, Winchester Ranger 230+P SXT, Remington Golden Saber 185 +P & 230+p, Hornady 230gr+P JHP and some 230gr Federal Hydroshocks.
All of these functioned good, I had one stovepipe with a Federal Hydroshock but that may have been a round not well seated in the mag.

My EDC became the Winchester Ranger, but recently I changed out all my mags to some 2015 factory fresh Hornady +P 230gr since my rangers I had were approaching 10yrs since I bought them. No worries they are still good, but for EDC, why risk it so I refreshed all my mags. Then I shot a mag of the Hornady the other day, they functioned perfect and I shot a tight 3" group at 50 feet.
I also carry a factory box of CorBon 185gr+P in the console of my jeep. Those hot CorBon 185's rounds remind me of shooting 10mm.

I regularly shoot 100rnds of 230gr Ball, been buying Winchester White Box at Wal Mart, one of the area gun shops had a sale on the WInchester "1911" 50rnd boxes of 230 ball, so I have shot some of them too. Federal 230 ball or recently I got a cheap price on some Sellier Belloit 230 ball that is some really good accurate ammo and seems to be just a touch hotter load than 230 Ball Winchesters. I may buy a case of the Sellier & Belloit just because of how well it shot.
And while I carry +P hollowpoints , I have never felt underarmed with 230gr ball because after all, that is where it all started and has worked good.
After my first day of shooting, I took my SR to a friend who is a jeweler and had him do some deburring and polishing, and took care of a rough spot on the lower frame rails, feed ramp slicked up and a little roughness in the trigger strut channel polished smooth as glass.
I am going to get to go shoot some combat drills at the Whittington Center in a couple of weeks when I go to shoot the Garands with dad & brothers, I hope to run at least 500rnds through my SR1911 while I am there.

gunzo

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
NO machinery correctly made really needs any kind of a break-in. Hellesbelles, they put brand new engines in NASCAR racers and go run 'em to the firewall from the gitgo, wide open let her rip !!!

Yep.... and NASA buys all their raw materials at the flea market. Or so I heard............... :roll:

rattlegun

Bearcat
Most 1911s do break-in with normal use and care even though it may never malfunction there still is some initial wearing in.
Not all things are perfect at Ruger; my SR1911 had a lot metal debris around the barrel lug area actual rings of metal from a lathe.
To improve the acceptable accuracy to excellent I fitted a Ed Brown Barrel Bushing to it.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I tear mine down to the bare frame and use an 1800 grit ceramic stone to break any hard corners or edges. Not much, just enough to smooth things out.

After this treatment I've never had a feed or function issue.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
WIL TERRY said:
NO machinery correctly made really needs any kind of a break-in. Hellesbelles, they put brand new engines in NASCAR racers and go run 'em to the firewall from the gitgo, wide open let her rip !!!

Yep.... and NASA buys all their raw materials at the flea market. Or so I heard............... :roll:

LOL ... Yeah .... if anybody believes the first quote .... thats pretty funny ... and theyre pretty naive and uninformed.

Those engines are run-in for hours on a dyno under specific conditions that guarantee longevity on the track ... as nuch as that can be guaranteed anyway.

Not that a racecar engine evenly remotely resembles the workings and breakin of any gun ... which is patently absurd ...

REV

RCP1936

Bearcat
Mine did not need a break in
500 rds later still feeds FMJ and HP with no problems

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
revhigh said:
gunzo said:
WIL TERRY said:

LOL ... Yeah .... if anybody believes the first quote .... thats pretty funny ... and theyre pretty naive and uninformed.

Those engines are run-in for hours on a dyno under specific conditions that guarantee longevity on the track ... as nuch as that can be guaranteed anyway.

Not that a racecar engine evenly remotely resembles the workings and breakin of any gun ... which is patently absurd ...

REV
THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE BUILDER OF RACING ENGINES.
QUOTE: If we're gonna break the sumbitch we're gonna do it right dang NOW.

Mike J

Hunter
When I got my Ruger SR 1911 I field stripped, cleaned & lubricated it then went shooting. It has ran fine. The trigger did start feeling better after about 300 rounds so I am sure it has worn in some but it worked fine out of the box.

revhigh

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE BUILDER OF RACING ENGINES.
QUOTE: If we're gonna break the sumbitch we're gonna do it right dang NOW.

Sounds like a sensible guy .... Those professional engine builders are all dumb hillbillies chewing tobacco and drooling all over themselves ... And saying well thought out things like you mention above ... That's the kind of guy Richard Childress, Roger Penske, and Hendrick Motorsports hire .... Riiiiiiiiight .... :roll:

REV

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
3 weeks ago, took out the girlfriend and her 1st 45 that I had bought her---a Ruger CMD.

Had two factory mags, and three 8 rounders I borrowed from my Remington R1.
(FWIW, I like the way those 8 rounders fit; "flush"with the base pad, and intend to find more of the same)

Had (1) 100 rd box of REM UMC MC 230 gr; (1) 50rd box of Geco 230gr fmj, that I had bought to try out (I LIKE this ammo; intend to buy more); (1) box of WWB 230gr JHP, and, finally, multipule 50 rd boxes of Federal "Hi-Shok" 230 jhp---this stuff comes in white boxes, but basically, depending on who you ask, is the same as the HST loading. All I know is, I am basically a Federal man, I s'pose...but if so, it's because I usually find their loadings to work best, in my eyes. And these always work well for me, as far as JHPs go.

With her shooting, and me mostly loading, as she empted the mags...went thru 300 rds, that first time out. No paper targets; just cans & "targets of opportunity"...more was hit than missed. All that Rem, the Geco & WWB, and the Federal...not one misfire, bobble, or hiccup. The closed "measured" hit was 7 yds/paces out; the farthest, 20.

I have wanted one of these since they came out; but I waited cuz of what I read, and I already have a handful of 45's.
But after handling the girlfriend's...I don't think i'll wait too much longer, lol.