Ruger 45-22 ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Calref06

Bearcat
Another Newbie! I do not own a Ruger 1911 yet. I do have an old single six that just had the "Kit" installed by Ruger. I had lost the original Base Pin which was replaced by a new one during that installation. I own a Colt 1911 Commander light weight .38 Super - have had it a long time and never used it until very recently 200-300 rounds. A respected local gunsmith suggested that it was a collector's piece and to think about using it or selling it as such. I'm not going to use it, but I like it and will buy another and a .22 1911, perhaps the 45-22.
CGP

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Calref06 said:
.... perhaps the 45-22.
I think the one you are thinking about is the 22/45.

OR, are you thinking about a .22 conversion on a 1911?

OR are you thinking about the GSG 1911 in a .22?

Each of those has advantages and disadvantages. The Ruger 22/45 would
be the least expensive, yet do very well for you.

Option two would be a .22 conversion to fit on your 1911. At about $300,
for just the conversion, I think I would be more interested in the
Ruger 22/45.

GSGs are reasonable, but tend to run around $400. In my experience, the
GSG is either very good, or marginal. There seem to be many in both
categories.

Personal preference would be the unattainable; a Ruger Mk-II, in good
condition. They are out there, but VERY hard to find. And the good ones
will cost about the same as a brand new Mk-III. :shock:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
OK... personally, I too would fire my Colt Commander (aluminum frame) in 38 Super very v-e-r-y carefully, as it is indeed pretty rare and would be impossible or v-e-r-y expensive to repair any major components.
--- I have a fine blue 9mm Commander I bought in '79 and although I shot the snot out of it then, mostly I am proud of the fact I took such good care of it (especially never shooting crapammo with it). An "original" or a series 70 38Super would be a fine but seldom-fired Colt in my house. YMMV.

Ruger 22/45 guns are all fine pistols. Simple answer is: Get one. Then get a Majestic Arms 3.2 Speed Strip Kit. You will never be sorry if you intend on cleaning your Ruger often!

Ruger also made the Mk II 22/45 guns in a 6 7/8" flat-sided barrel; and a Great Eight 8" flat-sided barrel configuration. Both blued, both are excellent target/plinking/small game pistols and are keepers for 95% of rimfire shooters.

Agree with Pat - the GSG pistols have all been great guns but I did shoot one dog. It was aggravating to be nice. If you run across a like-new example for around $275-325 I'd say try it, you probably will keep it. Also consider Kimber's excellent 22LR conversion slide/barrel kit. It will/should fit your Commander and never beat up your rare frame. Buy extra magazines regardless!