I added a new blue Pony to my stable today--Colt Gold Cup NM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I have both versions of Ruger's SR1911's. I handled one of the Talo Black Nitride SR1911's and liked it a lot! I've just always preferred blued guns, the old fashioned blue. The blued Colt Gold Cop National Match pistols have been scare as of late. I found one on Buds website: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_141/products_id/79766 I bought it online last Saturday and picked it up today. Buds really does a stellar job making your purchase happen fast!

1st impressions: Very nice! I did my homework before ordering it. What they may now lack in cosmetics, they make up for in quality and accuracy. Gone is the high polished blue :( Gone is the flat topped serrated slide and svelte Eliason rear sights :( Gone are the recent hard rubber wrap around grips that are now replaced with proper double diamond walnuts :D If I can believe what I've read, the new ones are actually better than the old ones when it comes to accuracy. I'll believe it when I see it.

While not Colt's Royal Blue finish, it's still true blue, and it's quite nice. It's not dull at all but a classy sheen. I like it a lot, but not as much as Colt's RB. The trigger breaks at a consistent 5 #'s. It's very similar to my Rugers. Can it be that much better if it were a Colt Series 70? The trigger itself gags me. I can live with the single oblong slot of the original CG's. This 3 holed aluminum trigger belongs on a, well I don't know what. I'd love a long solid steel blued trigger.

I have some minor nits to pick with the sights. It's really not that difficult to get the front sight centered in the dovetail. Why was this so hard on my example? The rear Bomar clone is one fine sight, though clunky compared to the Eliasons. The notch is squared cut. The left side and bottom are fine, the right side? It's cut circular. I can't file the top of the right notch because it's cut circular! Maybe I can deal with that with Colt.

I had a post ready to go about 2 hours ago and lost it when my computer froze up. There's a reason I have a new wiz bang computer sitting right behind me still in the box. Maybe I'll get it up and going this weekend, maybe.

I'd like to send it to Colt to have their RB finish put on it so it would look something like this. It's an 18+ month wait:
ColtRoyalBlueCarbonia_zpse30cb4bb.jpg

In the meantime, I'll just shoot the S%$& out of it :)

Mike J

Hunter
I have no experience with Colts but that looks really nice. I hope you enjoy your "Christmas present". I don't know if I would want a gun with a finish as nice as that royal blue. I think I'd be too worried about messing it up to be able to enjoy it.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have massive experience with Colts, although this is a Ruger Forum. I also sort of collect Colt Gold Cups. Below my 2012 "roundtop" GCNM (Gold Cup National Match) where I did replace the rubber wrap arounds with some wood grips in Cherrywood from the old Ajax Co. Oh yes my 1977 I bought new that year.

And of course Colt has announced they are coming out with the new 70 Series Gold Cup this year.

Anyway back in the Ruger World I have a couple SR1911s I bought in the fall of 2012. One is nice and one is impressive. The impressive one has the Wings grips on it.

I have bagged them but am thinking of Ransom Rest on the impressive one. The problem is shooting a gun on a Ransom Rest is one step above watching paint dry to me. Anyway I am close to having adjustable target sights put on the impressive SR1911 so I can play with different hand loads out to 50 yards or so like I do with my Gold Cups. Probably not where Ruger thought that pistol should be.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Actually the last 1911 variant I added to my collection was a SA RO in 45. I sold my last one to help fund buying the Colt Gold Cup in 2012 as it was not doing for me at 50 yards. They had a Oktoberfest sale on them this fall in the $700s so I bought another one. I sort of like the purity of these. Yes they probably start in Brazil at Imbel. The .45s may have 9mm firing pins. Yes they probably do not pin in their ejectors....... Anyway sort of a pure target pistol and the last 1911 I bought.

Not to worry, during that sale I also bought a Ruger AR-556, but that is a different part of this forum. I actually went to that sale thinking I would buy another SR1911CMD as they had them for $625. Oh well.

Cholo

Staff member
mohavesam, have you ever used Fords? Their prices are quite reasonable. I won't do anything until I see how this gun shoots off a rest as there's no sense pouring $ into a lemon. I do like a rich blue, though. Thanks for the link!

dakota, I love the looks of your '77 GC! The flat milled slide top and the Eliason rear sight are pure beauty. I wasn't into semi-autos at all in the 70's, and it was well into the 90's when I bought my 1st CF. Now you say that Colt is coming out with a Series 70 GC? It has to be blued or I don't want it.

I tried to warm up to the Springfield RO's and never could do it with that rough black finish. I could buy a Ruger LCR and be fine with ugly. A 1911? I don't think so :mrgreen:

Brian48

Bearcat
Congrats. My GC is still my favorite 1911 after all these years. I just love the classic lines and the history behind the model. Bought mine brand new 21 years ago. It started out life as an Enhanced Model GC, but this year I had Colt "convert" it to a more traditional configuration with the spur hammer and regular grip safety.

new_goldcup.jpg

oscar

Bearcat
This is my Series 70 GC which I have had for 40 years or so. A couple of years ago I had the slide done in CPII as I have always wanted a 2 tone since seeing one on the cover of Guns and Ammo many years ago.