Anyone tried a compensator on a SR1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gunner4640

Bearcat
I found a compensator for a 1911 on ebay that looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried one? I am thinking about buying it $37.00 they say it will work and it looks very well made (cnc & stainless) with a 100 % guarantee

revhigh

Hawkeye
For what reason ... Cosmetics ? Then ... NO.

It will ruin the looks ... The balance ... And is completely unnecessary.

A 1911 isn't the type of gun that you put that kind of aftermarket garbage on.

If you really want to junk up a gun ... Do it to a plastic 9 ... They're already hideous enough that a compensator won't even matter. :D

REV

timboy

Bearcat
Is there an answer to his question in there?
revhigh said:

If you really want to junk up a gun ... Do it to a plastic 9 ... They're already hideous enough that a compensator won't even matter. :D

REV

mohavesam

Hawkeye
If you're serious (its your gun afterall), I'd push you toward Mag-na-port Autoporting. http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html . Peters-Stahl guns used this type of porting on hard-kicking 10mm guns years ago.
No less a pistol man than Jim Clark used them for many many hard-kicking competition handguns. Clark also invented a slide-mounted compensator that worked much like Ruger's Target comp on their 22 pistols. It matched the slide contours and had a 45-degree block to vent almost all gases upward behind the bullet. It worked very well on the priciest hardball race guns of the day.
Clark still makes some: http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911compkits.html

For about ten bucks at a decent gunshow, you can find the old extended barrel bushings that had outboard slotted ports to "redirect" gases upwards, but being that they were not anywhere near bore-sized in the ID, I never gave them more than a cursory look.

With the myriad types of ammo available today, I'd just experiment with lighter bullets, much cheaper. YMMV.

Gunner4640

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
If you're serious (its your gun afterall), I'd push you toward Mag-na-port Autoporting. http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html . Peters-Stahl guns used this type of porting on hard-kicking 10mm guns years ago.
No less a pistol man than Jim Clark used them for many many hard-kicking competition handguns. Clark also invented a slide-mounted compensator that worked much like Ruger's Target comp on their 22 pistols. It matched the slide contours and had a 45-degree block to vent almost all gases upward behind the bullet. It worked very well on the priciest hardball race guns of the day.
Clark still makes some: http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1911compkits.html

For about ten bucks at a decent gunshow, you can find the old extended barrel bushings that had outboard slotted ports to "redirect" gases upwards, but being that they were not anywhere near bore-sized in the ID, I never gave them more than a cursory look.

With the myriad types of ammo available today, I'd just experiment with lighter bullets, much cheaper. YMMV.
Thanks for the info, the compensator I am looking at is an extended barrel bushing type.
I was just asking if anyone has tried one.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have. I think CDNN might have a few for cheap. Like this: http://www.cdnnsports.com/barrel-bushing-comp-blue.html#.VQw8DOEYE20
No, they do not give any real mechanical/recoil reduction effect as the bullet-muzzle gap is significant enough to let most of the propelling gases vent past the entire bullet diameter before any "upward deflection" via the slots/ports takes place. With supersonic loads there may be a perceived increase in noise to the shooter, though.

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
For what reason .......

A 1911 isn't the type of gun that you put that kind of aftermarket garbage on.....

....REV

Hey Rev....
We're talking about an SR1911 here....so what difference could adding one more item really make? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DGW

Precision32

Blackhawk
I have one I run on my full sized Springer. It does reduce muzzle climb and perceived recoil.

Only issue is I carry in a Miami Classic shoulder rig and the extra 1 1/2" really printed. Other than that I found it useful and effective.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
revhigh said:
For what reason .......

A 1911 isn't the type of gun that you put that kind of aftermarket garbage on.....

....REV

Hey Rev....
We're talking about an SR1911 here....so what difference could adding one more item really make? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DGW

That's true ... its not like you're junking up a Colt ... :D

REV

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Back when I started shooting USPSA, around 1992, .45 ACP 1911's with a comp were the default selection for open class. I shot some of these guns, and they were certainly smooth, well-balanced, and easy to point and keep on target from shot to shot. The compensators were not for looks - they favorably affected performance, without a doubt.

I'd like to have a comped 1911, for sure.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Yes.... it was NO!

timboy said:
revhigh said:

REV

A compensated 1911 IS just that. Features and extended barrel that's ported and fitted correctly with the correct compensator. If your going to compensate a 1911, do it right.

On the other hand if your going to "buy a compensator, to add to your 1911" as in one of those cheap barrel bushing replacements... Well that's your prerogative. I'll keep my thoughts on this to myself here but kindly say, you're wasting your time.

timboy

Bearcat
Then he should have replied that he has not used one without all of his usual codecendidng bs...but I digress,chive on.
Richbaker said:
Yes.... it was NO!

timboy said:
revhigh said:

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Who said I never used one ?

Never owned any ... but shot a few ... the cheap addons do nothing but junk up a classic gun's looks

If a 45 has too much recoil for you ... shoot a 9 or 22.

REV

B.L. Hall

Single-Sixer
I bought one once. it did absolutely nothing. the bullet exits the barrel before the slide moves back far enough for the compensator to of any help. BUT, it wont hurt anything, if you like the look, go for it.