Ruger SR1911 CDR-LWT Surprise

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I just picked up my new SR1911 CDR-LWT pistol tonight and started cleaning the machine oil from it prior to a range trip. Much to my surprise this CDR-LWT pistol has a steel MSH (attracts a magnet), whereas my full frame SR1911 has a composite (read plastic) MSH. To be that's confusing in trying to reduce the total weight. Any comments or any others find the same thing? Call to Ruger tomorrow morning. :?

19ontheslide

Bearcat
If the mainspring housing on your full size SR 1911 is indeed factory and made of plastic, that's the first one I've heard of. My full size SR 1911 came equipped with a checkered steel mainspring housing, and every one I've examined thus far has been so outfitted.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Cholo said:
19ontheslide, both of mine, a 5" and a CMD, did too.

- By "both of mine did, too" do you mean both of them came with plastic MSHs, or steel ones? The OP's situation is the first I've ever heard of any SR 1911 variant coming from the factory with a plastic MSH, so it'd be interesting to see if this is becoming a thing.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Got it; thanks Cholo. In that case the OP appears to be the first person I've encountered who has purchased an SR 1911 with a factory original plastic MSH. OP, I would very much like to see pics of your full sized SR 1911's MSH, if you can post them.

loaded round

Hunter
I'd be glad to post a picture but I switched out the SR1911 to an arched MSH and the original flat MSH that I bagged and tagged is a composite one. I could post a pic but I don't think it would show you much.

19ontheslide said:
Got it; thanks Cholo. In that case the OP appears to be the first person I've encountered who has purchased an SR 1911 with a factory original plastic MSH. OP, I would very much like to see pics of your full sized SR 1911's MSH, if you can post them.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
On the contrary; a pic of this MSH would show us a great deal. You are claiming that you have in your possession a factory original plastic MSH that came from the factory on a Ruger SR1911, yes? You are literally the first person I've come across who has made this claim. Ergo, I would like to see evidence of this claim. I don't think that's out of line. If I claimed to have bought a new Colt 1911 that came from the factory with a brass receiver, people would want to see pictures of such a thing to verify my claim.

loaded round

Hunter
I will try to post a picture in the next 24 hours. Just spoke with Ruger 10 minutes ago and their reply was the metal MSH was a function issue. I'm satisfied with this answer.

19ontheslide said:
On the contrary; a pic of this MSH would show us a great deal. You are claiming that you have in your possession a factory original plastic MSH that came from the factory on a Ruger SR1911, yes? You are literally the first person I've come across who has made this claim. Ergo, I would like to see evidence of this claim. I don't think that's out of line. If I claimed to have bought a new Colt 1911 that came from the factory with a brass receiver, people would want to see pictures of such a thing to verify my claim.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm sure the management at Prescott would like to know who you talked with at CS. There are no suppliers of plastic housings at Prescott AFAIK.

Jim Puke

Hunter
OP did not state the he bought his SR1911 fullsize new...that could explain this.

I have 1911's with both and it makes no function difference to me...I probably prefer the composite as it is lighter.

Jim Puke

Hunter
19ontheslide said:
Jim Luke said:
OP did not state the he bought his SR1911 fullsize new...

- He does refer to the MSH in question as both "original" and "composite" in post #8.

It is possible that he did not "know" the MSH was not original...that is not a stretch, if you buy a used gun and the seller does not apprise you of something he/she changed.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Both my SR1911s were bought in the fall of 2012 and have steel MSHs and my CMD was purchased in Jan 2013 and has a steel MSH also. I would question in Ruger would go to a composite MSH but maybe. I have not had any problems with Nylon composite MSHs with Colts and Kimbers that have them and they do cut an ounce off the pistol over a steel MSH.