Commander-size ......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
So, I helped a buddy sell a couple of guns to my local FFL buddy. As luck would have it, he's just traded for a Commander sized SR1911, in the box, 2 mags, an extra set of grips, etc.

Now, I already have the full size 1911 and don't necessarily need a "duplicate" but ....... $500 seems might tempting!

Do the two different sized 1911's really handle differently? One more accurate than the other? I've no intention of making one a carry gun but ..... they're beautiful guns and the price seems really, really reasonable.

Cholo

Staff member
I have both. There's 3/4" difference in barrel length. Some swear by the CMD because of X. I believe I could blindfold most anyone and they couldn't tell the difference with the gun loaded and how it shot.

I'd buy it for $500. It's well worth it, then you decide if there's really that much difference besides looks. If one's more accurate than the other, it's just the individual gun. I could live with one or the other just fine. I prefer both. YMMV.

PS: I'd like the CMD much more if it had an aluminum frame.

hittman

Staff member
Thanks Cholo .....

You know, it's one of those things that IF you have the money, Lord knows you could always sell it later and at least break even. In the mean time, it'd be fun to shoot too!

Snake45

Hawkeye
A steel-framed Commander will actually have less felt recoil than the full-sized (steel) gun, due to the lighter weight of the slide banging back and forth. Strange but true. :wink:

dakota1911

Buckeye
Have both and not a big difference to me in how they shoot. You may like one over the other depending how you carry and what holster you have.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have both,actually I have 2 CMD`s and one 5". I love the balance and feel of the CMD. They just feel more natural in the hand to me and If there is a difference in accuracy it is not enough to be a concern.

HAWKEYE#28 said:
You are fussing at $500?...................WHY? :roll:

^^^What he said. :mrgreen:

I've owned and shot every size of 1911 imaginable. The differences between a 4" and 5" are subtle, so a guy's gotta decide for himself how important these subtle differences are. I've never proven that either size is absolutely better than the other. For slightly different reasons, they both have a place in my world. So...the only answer is to own both. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but it really is the correct answer.

WAYNO

dlidster

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Steel framed 1911s should be full size.

Compact 1911s should have lighter frames.

Why make a cmd or officer size with a steel frame?
Because I prefer guns made of steel. I'm sure there are others who share my preference.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got both sizes of the Ruger 1911, and find that I shoot the Commander a mite better than the 5" model. Both are equally accurate from a rest, but the Commander length handles, balances a bit better...too it's a bit easier to hide for CCW purposes. For $500, it sounds like a good deal and if you find you like it more, and are willing to part with your 5" model, you're not out anything....Best Regards, Rod

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Y'all do understand why Ruger did not/could not use the name "Commander", right?

The Ruger CMD is similar to, but is not a Commander. Subtle semantics maybe, but there is reality with which to deal...

It is not a "beginner's gun", but a pistol novice can learn to shoot it reliably, and easily. Simpletons should stick to Glocks.

eveled

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

I agree 100%.

I have had both and tend to prefer the Commander for carry. That being said my favorite carry 1911 is a Colt Gunsite with Commander length barrel with alloy Officers frame. Maybe the perfect 1911....IMO.

To the point of the post.....buy the Commander at $500. That's a good buy!

Dave

dlidster said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

Because I prefer guns made of steel. I'm sure there are others who share my preference.

I do also! Steel is Real. Plastic and Aluminum have no place in firearms YMMV. ps

hittman

Staff member
I haven't updated this thread for a while.

I bought this gun .... along with a friends wife. She and I think he needs it worse than I do, so it's going under the Christmas tree for him. I'm throwing in an ammo can with 250 rounds of good quality re-loads to boot.

Now she can't complain when he and I go shooting!

powder smoke said:
dlidster said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

I do also! Steel is Real. Plastic and Aluminum have no place in firearms YMMV. ps

I've owned a CMD-size Kimber 1911 for a long time with the aluminum frame. Nice gun. But, since acquiring my all-steel Ruger CMD, I had never since shot the Kimber. Recently sold the Kimber for lack of use.

I like an all steel CMD-size 1911. If a guy is actually carrying any 1911, and wants to do so comfortably, it takes a pretty substantial holster and belt. A big gun, in the correct holster... The 9-ounce difference is not an issue to me.

Ya know what else I remember from my many years of existence? When aluminum frames were first in vogue, it was widely accepted that the aluminum-framed version of an otherwise all-steel gun would have a substantially shorter service life, and a guy was putting his personal safety in jeopardy if he shot +P loads. We just don't hear that discussion much any more. 8)

WAYNO.