SR1911 Front Sight Poll

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Have you had the front sight break on your SR1911?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • No

Votes: 73 77.7%

• Total voters

Brian48

Bearcat
Mine broke twice. On the second trip back to the factory, they offered me the fiber optic sight so I took it. Basically, I would have accepted anything other than the factory sight.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
Another week, and the "Yes" number has gone up to 22%.

Has Ruger really fixed this issue or are we just seeing people late to the party?

ultramag

Bearcat
I'm a yes vote and was just late to the party. I have a SR1911 and SR1911CMD. I came across the CMD first and it has more rounds through it, however the full size that has been shot less is the one that broke. It barely made 100 rounds probably before breaking. I tried to get Ruger to replace it with a FO front sight when it went back for repair. They would not do so even with may offering to pay the difference, if any, out of pocket. As mentioned above, Ruger CS stated that they had switched to a machined front sight and all should be well now. They also said they got a bad batch of MIM parts is what caused the issue. So far the replacement sight is whole but it's not been shot much since being replaced. This occurred around the end of 2013 beginning 2014.

So far, my CMD front sight has held up.

JEA1957

Bearcat
Bought my 5" SR1911 fall of 2013; no issues yet. Love the gun too much to let it go because of the sight issue. Hopefully mine will be okay. Glad replacements are available.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Highspeedlane said:
I ordered a Novak milled steel .215" with roll pin reinforcement to the slide. . . . If anyone is considering this, I'd go even higher than .215" only because it still shoots a touch high for me at 50'. I'll just deal with it as is unless it really bugs me.

Novak recommended 0.215" to me.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I just ran 280 rounds through my CMD yesterday morning. Load was 225 grain cast flat point and 4.1 grains WST. At 25 yards the bullets were right on the money.

Earlier when I was tweaking the sight for windage before pinning it I had been testing it at 50' indoors and felt bullets were landing a bit high.

The .215 is good to go.

Bama77

Bearcat
Yes, bought my CMDR back in April and the front sight didn't break, but slid out of it's groove..I just used clear epoxy and epoxied it back in the groove.

Suburbbus

Bearcat
Front sight on my CMD SR1911 broke tonight at the range. Was shooting and all of a sudden noticed that the front sight picture looked strange. I found the upper part of the sight laying on the ground beneath my feet.

OHTwkC.jpg
Iafgg9.jpg

aceridr50

Bearcat
Just got back from the range and I guess what is now inevitable happened. My year old SR1911 is front sightless. I knew this was an issue but was hoping that it wouldn't happen to mine. Probably have 600-700 rounds through it. I guess the wait to put a FO on mine is over. Any suggestions on which sight to go with. I know Ruger has them on there website but what have you guys that replaced your broken sights gone with? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
USN441 shaved off after only a couple hundred rounds this evening... I knew the potential was there, but had hoped that I was going to slip by..

Guess in the grand scheme of things, knowing the front sight could be an issue, I'm glad it happened here at the house. I'd hate to be packing it around and find that it had stressed to the point that it broke off coming out of a holster.

singleshot

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
I have had my SR1911 for just over a year and have put about 1,000 rounds through it. No problem with the front sight...yet. Are the sights breaking WHILE shooting? (I only read 1 post that stated this to be the case.)

buttsm

Bearcat
Mine on my 11 week old commander, broke Saturday while shooting, shot 3 rounds went to shoot fourth, NO SIGHT. back in the bag, home I went. waiting till 11 am to contact Ruger. I'll see what they say.

19ontheslide

Bearcat
I don't know about serial number ranges, but it's been pretty well documented that the newer (and hopefully less breakage prone) front sight is easily distinguishable from the original one. The early sight has a bit of a flair to its rear face that makes it widen out toward the rear; you can easily see the flared contour when looking down from above the sight. The newer one's sides are parallel, without the flaring contour. It's pretty noticeable.

chaindrive

Bearcat
my particular SR has the new style front sight as described by 19ontheslide.

the gun's serial # is 671-245xx and the fired casing is dated 2/14. I bought it in april of this year.

also, there is a visible gap between the bottom of the sight and the slide.

the pistol now has over 1800 rounds through it without breakage and I believe the problem has been corrected.

it's a great pistol. have only had two FTE's which were probably my fault - ie: limp wristing. :oops: