What is it about them?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adam12

Single-Sixer
What is it about the SR1911 and SR1911CMD that makes them look so doggone beautiful, friendly, shootable, perfect?

I'm from the old school and in the old school the rule is ONLY blued steel for all handguns, pistols and revolvers.

These Rugers were the first non-blued handguns I've owned. I saw them and didn't hesitate....I HAD to have one of each. And that's another thing. Why do so many people buy BOTH? I'm even thinking of getting another CMD.

The grips. I love them, despite the plastic Ruger Eagle inserts which used to be enough of a turnoff I'd replace them asap. But THESE grips I love. The look, the feel. These are definitely NOT high-end guns. What is their allure?

jeffjeeptj

Bearcat
I cannot explain it, but I agree. When i saw the SR1911 for the first time, it was just lust. I had never paid attention to the 1911 platform prior to that.

Love the look and feel. Mine shoots excellent too.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I fell in love at first sight. Bought the 5" and later a CMD then another CMD.
Sweet shooters all. They eat anything I have fed them without a hitch.
SWEET !!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
It's a 1911.

Yeah ... really .... seen one you've seen 'em all. They've only been around for 102 years .....

Never paid attention to 1911's ? But the Ruger made you take notice ? I don't really understand how that's possible. Without reading the writing on the slide you couldn't tell one from the other.

Either way ... Glad you love your Ruger 1911's ... They're decent entry level 1911's.

REV

eveled

Hawkeye
Ruger really hit a home run, and I thought it would be a foul. I knew they would make a decent 1911, but could not see their place in the market. How many 1911's have been made by how many makers? Hard to believe the market is not flooded. Ed

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
In a group of 1911`s the Ruger stands out ( just pops) Don`t know exactly what it is but they caught my eye and got me back into the old JMB gun. Now, I have owned a few war veteran 1911`s and couple of civilian colts that got traded off so why did Rugers 1911 ring my bell? I cant really say for sure. I just like em.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
It's a 1911.

I'm hip to the trip. I once had 3 Colt Gold Cups, 2 had Craig Spegel custom grips. Blued. They looked great.

The Rugers look a lot better.

I recently saw a Wilson fancied-up expensive 1911. Didn't look like John Browning had anything to do with it. Actually, it looked like a moron was given free reign in the design dept.

The Rugers look a lot better.

Don Lovel

Hunter
my EDC is a full size SR1911, loaded up with 230gr Winchester Ranger, it is accurate and totally reliable, some days I wear it all day and forget I even have it on until I need to go into the county courthouse or somewhere else I really should not take it to.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Ruger really made a very nice pistol at a great price point. Must confess I have a couple 5 inch ones and a CMD.

schloss

Single-Sixer
I think they're nicer than most. I just wish the markings on the slide were a little more plain, I wish it didn't have the warning on the grip frame extension, and I wish it was blued.

It became my favorite on its first trip to the range, and has remained my favorite. And my wife has tried to steal it a few times.

Entry level....price wise, yes...quality and accuracy wise....well above, but Rev just can't compliment them and admit that Ruger's SR1911's have been a HUGE success...

Ruger has succeeded in selling more 1911's to first time owners....why is that hard to believe?

Rev- your rhetoric is tiresome....do you even own one to be able to relate?.... I guess not...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
Entry level....price wise, yes...quality and accuracy wise....well above, but Rev just can't compliment them and admit that Ruger's SR1911's have been a HUGE success...

Ruger has succeeded in selling more 1911's to first time owners....why is that hard to believe?

Rev- your rhetoric is tiresome....do you even own one to be able to relate?.... I guess not...

From day 1 I said they were a decent $600 entry level 1911. I had one on order, but they were nowhere to be found. As time went by so did my desire for one, especially at the grossly inflated prices that most dealers were charging or trying to charge.

Everybody said I was crazy ....that they were worth more than their $800 MSRP.

So what are they selling for now that all the Ruger fanboi frenzy has died down ? .... $550-600. Gee ... Where and when did I hear that before ?

And no... I don't own one ... I know way too much about 1911's to buy another entry level one just for the letters on the slide ... I already own 3 or 4 entry level government models.

I'll stick with my dozen or so Colts and Springfields. If I didn't already have so many I'd probably seek one out just to have it.

And anybody who can't tell the difference in accuracy, trigger, sights, machining, and fit and finish, between a Colt Gold Cup and an SR1911 must not be able to hit the broad side of a barn .... From INSIDE the barn .... With all the doors and windows shut. To compare the two is simply ludicrous to any knowledgeable 1911 owner, and to even make that comparison makes me wonder if the person has ever even SEEN a Colt Gold Cup .... Let alone actually OWNED ... LOL ....'three' ...

I stand by my original assessment .... Which by the way ... Was exactly dead on, and simply an honest assessment of the SR1911 .... Minus the Ruger rose colored glasses of course.

BTW ... 1911's have been a HUGE SUCCESS for the last 103 years ... Ruger had nothing to do with that .... Ruger just came to the party 100 years late ....

I know that the facts sometimes get in the way of koolaid drinking fanbois but it doesn't change reality ...the SR1911 is a very nice $600 entry level 1911 ... Nothing more ... Same as a Springfield MilSpec or any other $600 1911. And there's nothing wrong with that ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:

More than who ?

Got a source to back up that completely unfounded assertion ?

And no ... It's not hard to believe at all. ANY company that sells a 1911 to someone who hasn't previously owned one can make the exact same claim ... So theoretically they've all 'succeeded' too ....

REV

RCP1936

Bearcat
1911s were mainly a military weapon ( unlike the SAA )until Jeff Cooper started the civilian 1911 craze
The 38spl and 357 dominated the civilian and LEO market until then
So all the Kimbers-Wilsons-Baers- Browns-etc etc and even the non Colt regular companies like Springfield
Remington in the civilian market were a result of Coopers influence
I don't care if Ruger hit the scene last week
That has nothing to do with the quality of the gun

revhigh

Hawkeye
RCP1936 said:
I don't care if Ruger hit the scene last week
That has nothing to do with the quality of the gun

Absolutely agreed. Although some around here act like Ruger created the platform 2 years or so ago. A 1911 is a 1911. None look appreciably different. The less that a company's 1911 differs from the original specs and design ... The better it is. No matter the manufacturer.

To compare a base model 1911 like the Ruger to something as iconic and proven as a Colt Gold Cup is ludicrous. Gold Cups have been the basis for 1911 target builds for centuries, it's doubtful there will be many ... if any ... Ruger SR1911's used as the base gun for any target builds now or in the future.

As I've always said ... They're a good $550-600 entry level 1911. But that's as far as it goes at this time. Maybe in the future Ruger will come out with an enhanced 1911.

If you try to argue that ... You're either not real familiar with the platform, and their various levels of performance and price points ... Or you're just not skilled enough to appreciate the shootability difference between a base model 1911 and a tuned and accurized higher level gun.

It would be like comparing a GP100, Super Redhawk, or Ruger Single Action to a Colt Python or Freedom Arms Premier Grade weapon. Doing so just proves you don't see .... or refuse to see ... The differences in quality that you get for the extra money.

The 1911 market is very competitive ... There's very well defined levels of technical, machining, functional, and cosmetic improvements at every price point. That is exactly what makes the Ruger an entry level 1911. There's guns that cost $150 less that are functionally just as good ... Like the Rock Island Armory guns. Granted ... They're made in the Phillipines, but that doesn't change the fact that they're fine weapons. They're not finished as well, but they shoot just as good. That's why they're $150 less.

The Springfield milSpecs are virtually an exact duplicate of the SR1911, both functionally and cosmetically ... and the Springfields are more true to the original JMB design, which in my opinion makes them more desirable, and more viable as a platform to build on.

The only shortcomings that I've seen with the Rugers are the front sight breakage issues, the rusting frames under the grips, and the quality of the final finish. The Rugers have a far coarser brushed stainless finish compared to something like a Springfield MilSpec model. You may like that or not ... That's personal preference, but a finer finish does cost more to produce. I wish it had a finish closer to a what a stainless GP100 has than the one that it comes with.

I also really wish Ruger would stop with all the tacky 'Taurus looking' laser engraving that they continually put on damn near every available surface. It really detracts from what otherwise would be a nice clean looking 1911.

REV

RCP1936

Bearcat
Isn't that being contradictory
Taking a true to the original design and building on it
How is that different than a manufacturer taking the basic design and building on it

Entry level to what
Gun elitism
Nobody talks about an entry level 9mm--38spl --357
They are guns designed for self defense or LEO just as the 1911 was designed for military use
The main difference is the 1911 was designed for hardball ammo
As a civilian gun HPs are more desirable
If a 1911 type 45 handles 45 HPs reliably then it has done its job as a SD or LEO gun
There is no "entry level" unless you are talking about marksmanship contests which SD or LEO are not
I doubt you will get a police dept or military to purchase $2000 type handguns

Rev- the expert on the SR1911- doesn't own one and hasn't shot one, but an expert none the less....

Good night, Rev...your an expert and I am just a ruger fool.....thank you for blessing us with your over rot opinions, we should all feel honored by your very presence on our fanboys forum....

:roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't own an SR1911 but I've shot one quite a bit.
Right out of the box with nothing more than checking the bore for obstructions, the one I used ran through several boxes of ammo without a hitch, and shot almost to it's POA at the 25ft line.....so to me, it was doing it's job rather well. Nothing there to complain about at all.

I do agree with Rev on the unwarranted engraving though. Perty-dern tacky if ya ask me.
That, and I've got no use for it's custom features, which when ya get right down to it, realy aint all-that "custom" these days....more run of the mill I'd say.....but on the other hand, most folks do seem to like having fluff 'n bling on their not so 1911 1911's, so I can understand the SR1911's appeal.

Me though, I'm still hoping that Ruger will see fit to introduce something more akin to the Colt Government Model. Yeah, a plain-jane 1911A1 copy, that would be the ticket for me. :D .

DGW

Latest posts