Flat vs Arched mainspring housing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one shot hunter

Bearcat
I prefer flat over arched. I had one arched mainspring housing on a Colt many years ago and I changed it to a flat as soon as I could and was very happy.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Richbaker said:
I was closer than anyone else that posted.....
8)

Snake45 said:
Richbaker said:
IIRC, the original had an arched msh. The Army specd the flat one with the A1 revision...
You have it exactly backwards. :wink:

Actually I think It was the other way around. The Original 1911 had the flat and the 1911A1 had the arched.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I prefer the flat, I find it interesting that so many 1911 guys hate Glocks yet like the arched on a 1911 which gives the 1911 the same grip angle as a Glock.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rabon said:
I prefer the flat, I find it interesting that so many 1911 guys hate Glocks yet like the arched on a 1911 which gives the 1911 the same grip angle as a Glock.
Ummmmm....no. :?

Snake45

Hawkeye
RCP1936 said:
What was the reason for the military making the change
Anybody know
Allegedly, to improve the "pointing angle," back when that kind of thing was deemed important.

Snake45

Hawkeye
edlmann said:
RCP1936 said:
What was the reason for the military making the change
Anybody know

People who shot "instinctively" without aiming were shooting low.
That's because they were used to shooting revolvers. If you're used to "instictively" shooting a 1911 (or any other handgun, for that matter), it works just fine. All a matter of what's "normal" for you. :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
I've allways found it interesting that Colt has used the arched housing/short trigger for years, except on the Gold Cup target model.

DGW

edlmann

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
I've allways found it interesting that Colt has used the arched housing/short trigger for years, except on the Gold Cup target model.

The Gold Cup is intended to be deliberately aimed, not "pointed."

I have average sized hands but very long fingers, so I find the long trigger a bit short, but no more room in the trigger guard to lengthen the trigger.

Snake45

Hawkeye
edlmann said:
DGW1949 said:

The Gold Cup is intended to be deliberately aimed, not "pointed."
Exactly right. Also, the Gold Cup had (has) an extra long, extra wide trigger. You have to have pretty long fingers to shoot a 1911 with an arched housing and that trigger (longer than mine, anyway).

Also, it just flat looks classier. :wink: :lol:

I don't know if Pachmayr still makes their rubber-covered 1911 MSHs, but for a while they had them in flat, arched, and "semi-arched" which was right between the two. I have one of these on a gun just because I bought one out of curiosity. It's a bit different feeling.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
My Dan Wesson PointMan7 is straight with a long trigger and I like it very much. My dad's Army-issued Colt had an arch and a short trigger, and it wasn't comfortable for me.

I shot a straight MSH for years before trying an arched one. I'm thinking my preference probably has more to do with what I was used to than either actually better than the other.

I come to this conclusion because my dad, who was an experienced shooter and started with the arch always preferred it.

So, it seems to me that people tend to like what they're used to. It's certainly true in my and my father's cases, anyway.