Latest Offerings for SR1911 Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adam12

Single-Sixer
Well, I've got an sr1911 en route. I haven't fired handguns nor have I reloaded for handguns in exactly 20 years.

I've still got some Bullx bullets, which is a good thing. Some brass as well. Powder, a moderate amount.

I was wondering.......well, I was wondering a lot of things, let me see if I can organize my thoughts. I realize some of my questions are impossible to answer conclusively, but as near as possible would be great.

I noticed there's a whole lot more commercial .45 acp ammo out there now, at least there seems to be. Keep in mind I was stuffing reloads back in the day. Anyway, has anyone used a commercially made cartridge in their sr1911 that seemed to be a good match?

How about reloads? There's probably a rule against recommending reload information on this site, so if there is and I've overstepped the line please straighten me out. I'm still relatively new here and yes, I realize that depending on that for a defense of ignorance has a short shelf life and I may have used it up.

That's about it, except for your personal opinions on this pistol and if there seems to be a general quirkiness in some area. I'd welcome all comments.

Many Thanks - A12

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I've shot factory FMJ & JHP from numerous manufactures thru my SR1911 with never a problem. I've also shot at least 15000 of my 230gr LRN reloads with never a problem. I have yet to run across any ammo my pistol doesn't like. I'd say just get out there and shoot whatever 45acp ammo you have and see how it functions.

6gun

Hunter
No rule at all against reloads on this site, but of course most gun manufactures claim will void your warrantee if you use them including Ruger, but that's just to cover their back, reloads won't hurt a thing long as you know what your doing all my guns get hand loads or reloads new used or other wise I don't buy no factory ammo if I can load my own.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
misread my calipers once recently and made some rounds ten thousandths too short. no pressure sign is the good news, the bad is the Sr1911cmd did not see the humor in the mistake. jams here and there. short is as bad as too long. I need to remember what the carpenter says. measure twice-cut once. the little lady seems to be pretty good with all commercial rounds I've tried and with correctly built reloads. perhaps even better than my 1911's that cost 40% more obamabucks. (you would think a person who has reloaded for 35 years would not make a careless error!)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
First thing is that the SR1911 is a 1911, is a 1911, is a 1911, is a 1911.
There is nothing (beyond the name on it) that is unique. Nothing requires
special handling, or holster, or any other accessory. Anything that will
work in other 1911's will work in/on the Ruger.

Dig out a reasonable reloading manual and look up .45ACP. I prefer to stay
away from high end AND low end loads. Funniest thing, I have not had any
problems with my reloads.

I run a 185Gr HP with Unique under it. Works fine. I know several others
that use other bullet weights and powders and they also do not have
problems.

Stick with established loads/lengths and you to will have no problems.

RCP1936

Bearcat
Both Federal 230 gr HST and Speer 230 gr Gold Dot have excellent ratings for SD
Both cycled flawlessly in my SR1911

chaindrive

Bearcat
for defensive ammo, Winchester PDX 230 gr. works well in mine and is among the top picks for factory ammo.

if you're thinking about reloading, here's what works for me:

230 gr. fmj bullets - berry's or x-treme plated bullets.

5.8 gr. unique powder with CCI 300 primers.

chronographs right at 800 fps.

an economical load that won't beat up your gun or you.

not that the ruger can't handle a steady diet of the hotter stuff...

modrifle3

Buckeye
Winchester has come out with a 230gr SD load specific to the 1911 and at $40 a box of 50 it is a steal.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Mine has not burped on any commercial stuff including CCI Aluminum cased Blazer and Russian steel cased stuff. It is also O.K. with my reloads using 200gr SWC cast bullets.

Jagdhund

Bearcat
My nearly new CMD (600 rds. since March) has digested all manner of jacketed bullets, mostly 230 gr. HPs, both factory and handloads. It also runs well on cast bullets from my Lyman 452374 and Lee 230 TC in reloads. I'd give a slight accuracy edge to the Lee bullet. Also, the Lee 452-200-RNFP is reliable, although doesn't group quite as well as the 230 gr. bullets.

Most of these loads are about 800 fps. I was somewhat worried about leading with the Lee 200 gr. bullet. It has essentially one very small lube groove and is barely 0.451" from my mould. However, so far very little leading in the Ruger's barrel, using Lyman moly lube.

It does not like Lyman 452460 200 gr. cast SWCers and I'm still working with Lyman 452488 195 gr. SWC. I don't know if this is a trend with my Ruger, but the 452460 is a button nose design, while 452488 has a little longer snoot. I believe I had good functioning with a few old 200 gr. Speer lead SWCs, but I don't have enough of them to work-up a load.

Some of the problems I thought were ammo related may instead be a magazine(s). I have had an occasional FTF where the breech face slams into the middle of the case before it clears the mag lips. Apparently this is somewhat common with Commander length slides. The slide is rebounding towards battery before the mag spring has pushed the head of the round up high enough for the slide to strip it out of the mag. This has not occurred with the issue mags with their stiff springs.