Question please...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own three Ruger 1911`s and thinking of buying a Springfield Loaded 1911. I have read the info on their web site and still have a question for whoever knows.

Is the Springfield SS Loaded 1911 a series 70 or series 80 style gun???
I assume series 70 but don`t want to order one in and have a surprise in store for myself.

Thanks for your help. Chuck

Jim Puke

Hunter
They are really neither. They have a smaller firing pin than the Colt 70 and no firing pin block like the 80...and the latter may be what you are asking about.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:
They have a smaller firing pin than the Colt 70....
I've never heard of small or large firing pins in 1911s. Can you elaborate? :? :? :?

Jim Puke

Hunter
Snake45 said:
Jim Luke said:
They have a smaller firing pin than the Colt 70....
I've never heard of small or large firing pins in 1911s. Can you elaborate? :? :? :?

If you will look at a Springfield firing pin, you will see that it is an odd size.

This explains it much better than I can.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=223877

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thanks, Jim. Never heard of that before. As my Old Man used to say, "You learn something new every day if you're not careful." :wink:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Jim, thanks! I mainly want to NOT have the firing pin block.
I will probably order one.
If they Made the Range Officer in stainless,that is the one I would buy. I don`t really care for the ambi. safety but that is the way the loaded comes.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
Jim, thanks! I mainly want to NOT have the firing pin block.
I will probably order one.
If they Made the Range Officer in stainless,that is the one I would buy. I don`t really care for the ambi. safety but that is the way the loaded comes.

The Loaded is a great gun and it shouldn't be a problem to put the single safety on it. I am like you, I have no use for the ambi safety.

modrifle3

Buckeye
This firing pin thing has floated around for a while. Some Springfields use a .38/9mm firing pin. They are 70 series design. Not hard to find and Springfield makes a great pistol. I am saving for a loaded target to go with my two ROs.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Well guys, I ordered one this morning. I was told it should arrive next Tuesday.
I just love getting a new gun!!! I just hope my three Ruger 1911`s will allow it to be in the same safe with them.

Well. My post disappeared. AGAIN! If you really don't want to hear what I have to say, and feel that sharing my experience with pistols I have owned is unwarranted, then just remove me from the board now. I'm tired of this damn $h1t!

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Well. My post disappeared. AGAIN! If you really don't want to hear what I have to say, and feel that sharing my experience with pistols I have owned is unwarranted, then just remove me from the board now. I'm tired of this damn $h1t!

Hey DA !

I went through the moderator logs and there are no posts that have been deleted that were written by you in this topic.

I'm guessing that you may have hit preview instead of submit accidentally.

No one is deleting your posts that I can tell, and I've never seen a deleted post that wasn't in the logs. :D

REV

K. In this case, it was probably my fault. I get tired of the board temporarily unavailable message. It comes up just as I submit my post. It didn't do it last time. So I probably closed the window after previewing it. My bad. I need to remember to ctrl-a+ctrl-c my posts before submitting, sometimes they disappear forever. I was just frustrated last night.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
Well guys, I ordered one this morning. I was told it should arrive next Tuesday.
I just love getting a new gun!!! I just hope my three Ruger 1911`s will allow it to be in the same safe with them.

Well you inspired me. I decided to let the SR I had on layaway go and roll the money into a stainless loaded target. First one the lgs has gotten and the price was good. Gun is very tight. Only thing I will do to this one is swap out the two piece guide rod for a one piece Wilson I have.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I picked up the SA Loaded target last Tuesday. I haven`t fired it yet but did take it down and cleaned and lubed it. I also cycled several different bullet shapes (dummy rounds) through from the magazines. Everything feeds like corn through a Goose manually. It was dirty from test Firing at the factory,Just like the Ruger`s are when you get them.
It is a very nice and well made gun but it cost $200+ more than a Ruger SR1911 also.
Much of the detail can be seen in how the small parts like the extractor and firing pin or safety lever, etc are finished just a little nicer. I do like the cast (integral) detent plunger housing on the Ruger better than the staked on one of every other make of 1911 though. It will never come loose.
All in all both the SA and the Ruger are great guns. If Ruger offered an adjustable target sighted model,that would have been the one I would have bought.

bgw45

Bearcat
Anyone know if an adjustable rear site for the SR1911 is available anywhere?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes, Novak makes one that looks almost the same as the stock sight. I called them and they said I would have to send the slide in because a small amount of machining has to be done to install it. The cost of machining was $20 IIRC.
I ended up keeping mine the way they came and bought a Springfield Loaded 1911 Target to play with. I like to play with different handloads and not all print to the SR`s sights although most do.

bgw45

Bearcat
Chuck, thanks for the response. Like you, I think I will keep mine stock if it needs to be sent.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Not sure if SAs have a firing pin safety of any sort. Colt uses the Series 80 on many of its models, and many other manufacturers use this systems also. Kimber uses a firing pin system related to Colts old Swartz system based off the grip safety. S&W used to use a similar system based off the grip safety until its E Series. Ruger chose the path of using a Titanium firing pin and stronger firing pin spring. Colt uses a Titanium firing pin on many of its models such as the new Series 70 and Wiley Clapp models that do no use a Series 80 system. Not sure if SA uses a Titanium firing pin or not.

SAs are nice. I think the major parts and maybe most the parts are made by Imbel in Brazil but most the assembly is done here. Not a bad thing as Imbel is a huge international arms manufacturer. Coming out of that environment I could see why they used 9mm firing pins. Not sure about now but they used to make 1911s for the Brazilian Army which were 9mm. They used to use a two piece barrel. Not sure about now. A FLGR is sort of silly in my opinion. A two piece one is dumb. Not that I hate SA. I am thinking about a SA RO in 9mm.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
dakota1911 I had that same question but found no firing pin block in my SA. It is the same series 70 as the Ruger SR 1911`s.
I have shot it quite a bit now and it is a nice smooth operating gun but the trigger is a little heavier than any of my Ruger SR1911`s and it is as accurate if not just a little more so than the Ruger. Should be for the extra $200+ bux.
I am, of course ,the limiting factor on accuracy. They all shoot as good as I can any day.