SR1911 vs. Springfield Range Officer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Does anyone here have experience with both the SR1911 and the Springfield Range Officer?

I've been saving for a 1911, and want to spend $700-900. Both guns are in that range. I prefer the looks of the parkerized Springfield, but other than that, the Ruger has many pluses. Made in USA, $100-150 cheaper, Novak style sights, durable stainless finish.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have two SR 1911`s (both barrel lengths). The Springfield RO is a fine gun also.
Pick the one that you like best. I think they both would make you happy.

ra

Single-Sixer
I have both a SR1911 and a Range Officer in 9MM. I can only speak of my 2 samples, but here is my findings. Both are accurate for this price range gun. Both factory trigger pull are about equal, 5+ pounds and some creep. The RO trigger was a good fit in the frame, the Ruger has more up and down and side to side movement. The RO slide to frame fit was a little tighter, the barrel to bushing and bushing to slide fit on both were equal. In the overall fit the Ruger is nicer, the RO rear of slide to frame fit and extractor to slide fit is non-existent.
I like the sights on the Ruger better, and I also like the stainless steel finish better.
Since mine are different calibers I like both, but if I had to keep just one I would pick the Ruger.

Roger

schnoov

Bearcat
I had both, and now just have the Ruger. The grip safety on the range officer poked the web of my hand a little bit, but otherwise I had no complaints about the RO. Traded it off because I didn't really feel like I needed two 1911s, and they go for a little more around here so I could get more out of it.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I have both ( 45 acp ), imho ... there is no comparison. The R.O. is a higher quality weapon. But , it should be. The price is higher. The R.O is an $800 gun ... the Ruger is a $650 gun. I like them both. The Springer will shoot one hole groups at 15 yards ...honest ...I've done it. ( 185 Nosler HPs over unique ) The Ruger wont do it ...its close but not one holers. Maybe someone elses will , mine will not. I did have the front sight changed to a green fiber optic on the R.O. Fit and finish is a tad better on the Springer ...slide to frame fit is tighter on the R.O. also. I like stainless , that was my main reason for buying the Ruger and I just like Rugers. Thats my take ....You'd be happy with either one. Both are fine weapons. And for what its worth ...its my understanding that the Range Officer is made in the U.S. My Springer Mil-spec said otherwise on the frame. Can't remember where though ... ?

regards , brushunter

dakota1911

Buckeye
Had a RO. The two guns are sort of different as the RO is more of a target pistol with adjustable sights. My RO was only $740 new, but noticed the new ones have climbed to about $840, so the prices of the two pistols are different. The fit and finish on my Rugers was about the same as the RO. I think the main parts of the RO are made by IMBEL in Brazil but the guns are assembled and finished in the USA.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I have both the SR1911 and the Springfield Range Officer in 45 ACP. Let me be blunt, I like both, the serve different purposes. The SR1911 has combat sights, and the Range Officer has Target sights.

After that there is no comparison, the RO is hands down the better 1911, fit and accuracy, match grade quality.

The Ruger has a cast frame and is made in the USA, the RO has a forged frame made in Brazil and the pistol is carefully fitted and assembled in the USA. I don't put much stock in the cast vs. forged argument, or the fact the frame is forged in Brazil for the RO. You can have all the emotional arguments you want.

Bottom line put both in your hand, disassemble notice the milling marks, fit and finish, the SR1911 is not in the same class as the RO, does not make the SR1911 a bad pistol, not saying that. They serve a different purpose.

Get what trips your trigger, but understand you are talking apples and oranges.

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

bgw45

Bearcat
I own both too. I'm a range rat trying to re-gain skills lost. What matters to me is how they print at 15 yrds. They both are the same. It depends on how I do my job. I have days shooting well with each pistol. SO, I think either would be great.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Apples and oranges. I know SA has made tons of fine guns, but I had a brand-new stainless SA go full-auto on it's second magazine some years ago, and I haven't owned one since. The Ruger was getting to be a better-manufactured gun just when Ruger went to a "parts-bin" assembly practice, and I think the CMD is a better-built gun than the 5" (they are made on different lines).
Made in the USA still means something - I don't know any Brazilians who need my hard-earned money, but your opinion may differ?

glokrok

Bearcat
brushunter said:
I have both ( 45 acp ), imho ... there is no comparison. The R.O. is a higher quality weapon. But , it should be. The price is higher. The R.O is an $800 gun ... the Ruger is a $650 gun. I like them both. The Springer will shoot one hole groups at 15 yards ...honest ...I've done it. ( 185 Nosler HPs over unique ) The Ruger wont do it ...its close but not one holers. Maybe someone elses will , mine will not. I did have the front sight changed to a green fiber optic on the R.O. Fit and finish is a tad better on the Springer ...slide to frame fit is tighter on the R.O. also. I like stainless , that was my main reason for buying the Ruger and I just like Rugers. Thats my take ....You'd be happy with either one. Both are fine weapons. And for what its worth ...its my understanding that the Range Officer is made in the U.S. My Springer Mil-spec said otherwise on the frame. Can't remember where though ... ?

regards , brushunter

Please talk to me about these one hole groups at 15 yrds. Ive done it also but it was an accident and it wasn't on the bullseye. About three inches low and right and others scattered around. How many rounds within one inch and are we standing ? Are are we at rest? I am just curious not being a wise but. I cant shoot a magazine one hole grp at 7yrds standing no rest.

wlhawk

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
I have two SR 1911`s (both barrel lengths). The Springfield RO is a fine gun also.
Pick the one that you like best. I think they both would make you happy.

I think having both of them would make you happier!

RCP1936

Bearcat
glokrok said:
brushunter said:

regards , brushunter

Please talk to me about these one hole groups at 15 yrds. Ive done it also but it was an accident and it wasn't on the bullseye. About three inches low and right and others scattered around. How many rounds within one inch and are we standing ? Are are we at rest? I am just curious not being a wise but. I cant shoot a magazine one hole grp at 7yrds standing no rest.
I asked the range guy to shoot a mag of hardball out of my SR1911because I figured his skills were better than mine especially now that I am 78
I wanted to see how good the gun ( SR 1911 full size ) was being used by a good shooter
He put them in a one hole group at 7 yards

brushunter

Single-Sixer
RCP1936 , sorry it took so long for me to respond ... yes, during load development , obvisiously from a bagged rest , the R.O shot one hole groups.( we're talking ragged hole ...not just one perfect hole) Thats 5 shots at 15 yards. If you want the particulars I can send you photos of the targets. I keep and file all load development targets. That way I can go back and see how a particular load shoots through a given handgun. BTW my P-345 did the same. Honestly I don't consider that to be unusual. I believe any good 1911 will do that with the right ammo. We're only talking 15 yds ...at 25 yds it opens up to around 2" I'd really like to send you my targets , pm me your e-mail address and I'll send a few to ya. :D

regards , brushunter

Some handguns like some loads better than others, even multiple examples of a given model. My Springfield GI was very magazine and even ammo picky. It liked PMC 230 gr. FMJs had to tweak the magazines and I could get it to run with other stuff too. It would not run HPs at all. Never even tried them in my loaded.

pondo

Bearcat
I have had a RO for several years. I just bought my SR1911 CMD in April. Obviously the barrel is shorter and it doesn't have the target sights the RO has, but I love the stock trigger on the Ruger it is every bit as good as the trigger on my Springer. And as far as accuracy goes, they both are more accurate than I am. Cant go wrong with either, however for a range gun, nod to the Springfield.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Keep in mind these two pistols are in different classes. Dollar for dollar the RO is a higher tier pistol. But for the person wanting to carry and shoot the 1911, the Ruger is excellent at its price point. With a little work it's a match grade gun. A big improvement is to fit a good bushing and crown the barrel. I liked mine but decided to trade up to the RO opposed to working on the barrel.