Question on the front sight issue???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I spend almost all of my time on the revolver forum although I own about a dozen Ruger semi autos.
Has there been any issues with the standard SR1911`s front sight or is it only on the Commander length gun?
I have a standard SR1911 and have no issues with it although I probably have only 200-300 rounds through it to date. Mine was made the first year of production and it is SWEET!
Do the 5" and Commander length guns use the same sights?
I want to buy a Commander but the sight issue has me wondering if I should wait. Comments please.

eveled

Hawkeye
It's been on both sizes, Ed.

As much as it stinks that we have to deal with the front sight issue, it should not be a deal breaker if you want the gun, buy it.

Here is a link to a replacement sight from shopruger, It is $24.95. Note that the description says, made by Novak, machined from bar stock. http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Novak-Plain-Black-Front-Sight/productinfo/12975/

If you go under "parts" you can find the sight that comes on the gun. For $6.25. Note the description says very little. http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Front-Sight/productinfo/64004/

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
I want to buy a Commander but the sight issue has me wondering if I should wait.
It IS an issue . . . . to some people.
Everyone else realizes that by the time it is well documented, Ruger has
already addressed it. If they didn't, they would not have any sales.

Then again, you could also check it as you are about to purchase it.

It is like MIM parts,
something to talk about but of very little consequence.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
eveled , Thanks for the info and link. I picked up the SR 1911 Commander today and ordered 2 front sights (the Novak ones) so I will be covered on both guns.

Pat-inCO , Thanks for the info friend.

Has anyone here installed one yet? How did it go?
I was a small arms repairman in the Army and a retired machinist so I expect to have no trouble doing it. :wink: :wink: :D

19ontheslide

Bearcat
Hi Chuck, I had the same sights (the barstock, all black Novak replacements from Ruger's website) installed recently on my 5" SR1911. They went on just as well as any other sights, though the set I got was exceedingly hard. I'm happy to report that the POA/POI remains dead on with the new sights, just as it had been with the originals. Best of luck!

eveled

Hawkeye
Glad I could help, I am trying to decide if I should order the ones you got or the fiberoptic's for mine, or something else. One thing for sure the originals have to go. Ed.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Me and fiber optics don`t get along to well. I prefer just plain black Patrige style sights on my guns. I shoot Cowboy action and, when I am shooting at my best, I could not tell you what the sight picture was on my last shot. I put the front sight on target and shoot. Kinda like instinctive shooting. I doubt that any "REAL GOOD" shooter could say that he aligns his sights with precision when he shoots fast as in a self protection situation. How could Jerry Miculek fire 8 shots on target in 1 1/2 seconds while carefully aligning the sights?

I will most likely paint over the dots on the rear sights of both of my SR 1911`s.