WTB Grips for old model Blk hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
It's a 357 3 screw, I don't know if any other Ruger's will fit or not. Would appreciate any help. Have looked on E Bay but I'm not sure what I'm looking at

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Is the gun a Flat Top, or does it have the ribs along the rear sight?

The Flat Top will take the XR-3 grip panels, the ribbed model will take the XR-3RED grip panels. Further the XR-3 grips are not identical to the New Model Flat Top XR-3 grips.

Simple?

Bob Wright

And since grip frames can be swapped from gun to gun, check the marking on the inside of the grip frame. It will be either XR3 or XR3-RED. They take different grip panels.

chuck

Blackhawk
Thanks Guy's, the top of the revolver is FLAT the serial #254** Can NOT find any marking on the frame after taking the grips off.
Also where can I buy grips for it? Thanks in advance. chuck

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well pics of the frame with help
I am going thru this myself
I even have a set of xr3 grips for sale if you need a original set
These are the grips for the original flat top guns and are very close to colt saa grip frame size and feel
The later xr3 red was a slight redesign which made the grip slightly longer and changed the shape
You can not put either wood grip panels
on the other frame as they will not fit
The easiest way for me to tell quickly
The xr3 grips are straighter on the back
The xr3 red have a little flair at the bottom
God Bless and stay safe out there
Love the old model 357's

254XX is likely 1959. The frame markings are "cast in place" and may be hard to see, but they're there. Yours is almost certainly an XR3.

This WTB ad should help find some panels. :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, now,, correct grips for that vintage would likely be the Butaphane (plastic) black ones. Some of them have been known to turn chocolate or even a slight greenish tint with age. To get a proper set,, expect to pay around the $100 mark.

gunzo

Hunter
Original XR-3.

VG condition, left panel faded some as Contender mentions. Screw included. $75 shipped

The "black plastics" were, in fact, the ones shipped on those early guns, but there were also walnut versions available. Either would be "correct" but if you want hard-core "originality" the plastics would be the ticket. :mrgreen:

chuck

Blackhawk
GUNZO thanks a lot, this is for my neighbor his dad had the gun and passed away 4 years ago and his son wants me to get it back in shape, some blueing gone and a set of god awfull set of grips, he works crazy hr so will get in touch with him as soon as I can, thank you.
PS Deerstocker Beings you are so nice I will try to talk him out of them.

chuck

Blackhawk
Gunzo, My neighbor passed on your grips (the dummy) so let mr. Deerstalker have them and thank you for the great offer.