SPF: Rare 1/51 Duplicate SN NR9 Single Six 9.5" w/Box/Papers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This is one of the rarest of the rare New Model Single Sixes, the .22 LR x .22 WMR model NR9 guns with 9.5" barrel and "D" prefix serial number denoting duplicate SN. Ruger mistakenly reused 441 serial numbers on NM Single Sixes back in 1984 and to make the duplicated SNs unique (and legal), added the "D" in front of the SN. While there were 441 guns total, only 51 were 9.5" barrel NR9s. All 441 guns were sent to the RCA to be sold to members as collectibles. This one is near-new, possibly unfired, with box, papers, white box for second cylinder, scrap of moisture paper, and RCA certificate. Inside the envelope with the certificate was a copy of the obituary for the original owner who passed away in 2011. The envelope, addressed to that gentleman, is postmarked on Valentine's Day, Feb 14, 1984. There is no felt bag for the cylinder, only a scrap of bubble wrap. There is some writing on the box label describing the gun, and there is a sticker on the side of the box with the SN written on it. The lid of the box has a spot toward the right as shown in the second pic where a bit of the yellow has peeled away, possibly from removing a sticker. Interestingly, you can see a ghost image of the top of the "D" prefix (see close-up of SN) from where the mallet bounced on striking. The serial numbers themselves were machine rollmarked onto the guns, but the "D" was added manually with a letter punch tool that required a blow from a hammer to strike the impression. Ultra difficult gun to find and a fine collector-condition example at that.

SPF $750 shipped FFL to FFL

W7gOARL.jpg

ovUUDb9.jpg

vYQDN3j.jpg

e8gTACI.jpg

YaRQPe5.jpg

XhAsZ2w.jpg

9YfiSPT.jpg

6N7TszA.jpg

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
Bob I have one of these with a 4 5/8 barrel and can you tell me how many in this barrel length were set for collectors and also I'm guessing the serials are in the same block because your gun is about 80 off of my number, so I had to look at mine close. GLWS very nice.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
VernTMG said:
Bob I have one of these with a 4 5/8 barrel and can you tell me how many in this barrel length

The RENE Reference says "at least 50 NR4", so about the same as the 9.5". It says the NR4 and NR9 guns were sold through the RCA. It says 200 NR5 and 160 NR6 but does not mention them going through the RCA.

Coogs

Maximum
The "D" marked NR series single sixes were offered to the RCA membership via the 12-1983 RCA Journal. There were a total of 441. 39 NR-4 and 43 NR-9's. They were offered @ $195.00 each or $390.00 a pair. All were sold through the journal as far as I know......Jack.