Moved: HAWKEYE Pistol .256 Win Mag 99% w/Lightning Streaks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So first of all, if you were born in 1946, or your dad was, or even gramps, this would be an awesome serial number to have or to give as a Christmas gift!

Second, this gun came to me in a sock that was impregnated with a waxy grease and every time I took the gun out of the sock, there would be grease in new places, so in my pics you will see some that have grease in the screw slots, or certain crevices, and others with that cleaned out.

Ruger Hawkeye, model RH28, single shot pistol in .256 Winchester Magnum with 8.5" barrel. The .256 Win Mag cartridge is essentially a .357 Mag necked down to .25 caliber. Rare firearm with under 3300 made in the 1963-1964 timeframe. The action is known as a rotating breech block, which takes the place of a cylinder in what otherwise appears to be a single action revolver. By pushing the plunger on the left side, the breech block can be turned to allow extraction of the spent case and insertion of the new round directly into the chamber at the back of the barrel. The extended firing pin is integral to the breech block and transfers the hammer blow to the primer 2" away. Hawkeye grip frames are of the XR3-RED contour but with a wider trigger slot to accommodate the wide serrated Hawkeye trigger.

Condition is stunning. I would give it 99% overall with closer to 100% blue. The only defects worth noting are a few flecks of anodizing missing from areas on either side of the trigger guard, a light scratch or polishing mark on the left side of the frame that must have been put there at the factory prior to bluing, and just a spot or two of hammer discoloration. The right side of the frame features phenomenal lightning streaks, a condition that developed over time on some of the early Ruger frames and has been attributed to several explanations, the most widely accepted are either the molybdenum content of the period steel alloy, or the use of certain mould-release agents used in the casting process. Regardless of the reason for them, the lightning streaks add a highly collectible feature to an already collectible piece, and the pictures really don't do them justice. The frame in general is turning the desirable plum color, and the trigger is toning toward the less common cherry color. The walnut grips are really nice with just the tiniest flecks of black paint missing from a couple feather tips on the left eagle. The right panel is a bit darker than the left. Hawkeye barrels were factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount and the factory filler screws are present. The "S" on the top of the barrel is the chamber proof mark usually seen on the cylinder of a Ruger revolver. The topstrap does not have any additional holes, as is correct.

As with all my guns, a payment plan can be arranged.

Moved to GunBroker$3175 shipped FFL to FFL with full insurance.

mJgWEmP.jpg

yT9QvIK.jpg

4rjJO3f.jpg

BVG00SF.jpg

AeLzkAp.jpg

F6K5YJa.jpg

GBxtcT6.jpg

Ln9X2BW.jpg

HB9IlKr.jpg

JZNoqVa.jpg

VueFpma.jpg

wgDV9S1.jpg

CnASu1T.jpg

huOO41z.jpg

rgTQoy0.jpg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here are some more pics. New day, new grease, I didn't wipe anything off...

Sunlight is in low supply in Vermont this time of year but there is some today. Here are the lightning streaks in sunlight through a window:
LoFnY5m.jpg

Back to artificial light, this shows how the breech block rotates and also shows a .256 Win Mag round:
24qOk2m.jpg

The upper channel in the side of the breech block allows the cartridge to pass into/out of the chamber:
ThkLQMU.jpg

The lower channel is for clearance of the extractor and rod:
styQZn8.jpg