SPF: Old Model Bearcat .22 LR - Not Converted - Nice Shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This Bearcat dates to 1969 when they first added the serial number prefix. Condition is real nice for a shooter but there is scattered freckling on the steel surfaces that keep it from being a collector grade gun. This is a regular Bearcat, not a Super, so the frame is alloy. Nice lightweight and easy to pack plinker, this should make an ideal hiking, backpacking, or tackle box gun. Not converted - original action.

SPF $395 shipped FFL to FFL

C5UZ8Vs.jpg

1IwsWjj.jpg

Wl6tCJK.jpg

aVjrth2.jpg

xJHgj8r.jpg

70Vp6HI.jpg

XTkcySf.jpg

Blaketh

Bearcat
Does the old model have a smoother action and lighter trigger pull than the new model? Are there sny quality differences? I love this gun wish i had the funds.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Blaketh said:
Does the old model have a smoother action and lighter trigger pull than the new model? Are there sny quality differences?

Generally speaking, old models have smoother actions and lighter trigger pulls due to being simpler mechanically, so you are fighting less resistance. And they had more labor-intensive hand-fitting/tuning than the automated processes in use today.

But due to less safety mechanisms, the old models should be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I don't usually do anything to guns I get in prior to selling them, besides wiping them down and maybe running a brush/patch down the bore.

But I was asked how deep the freckling was on the barrel of this Bearcat. I said not very, and that if he was serious about buying it, I would go ahead and clean it up. He didn't reply to that, but since this gun wasn't getting much interest, I decided I might as well give it a go. Here are the results after about 5 minutes of oil, copper penny rub, and light cleanup with 0000 steel wool, on both the barrel freckling and the spot on the loading gate:

KGM4NiQ.jpg

ZcYMJNR.jpg

Latest posts